Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default Hoo Ha - OT - Lost Treasure Found, And More

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Charles Self" wrote in message

With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and
an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

I'm told that slides and negatives are best done on a high res drum scanner,
but from what I've seen, prices for decent ones start at about a grand.

I have what is now an old Epson here that came with a slide/neg scanning set
up. It's fairly high res and will do more than one at a time (IIRC, about
4), with halfway decent results.

I think the best way is one of the slide duplicators that you find on Ebay.
Most seem to run about $65-$80, attach to the front of the camera lens, and
let you adjust, fiddle and otherwise play with the various camera settings
and lighting schemes until you get pretty much what you want, at which point
you just run a bunch through. If I didn't have studio flash, I'd use a
halogen 250 watt light, adjust white balance and try it. I'd also shoot in
RAW format if the camera had it, because that makes things much more easily
adjusted, but RAW is a feature of DSLRs and higher end prosumer cameras
mostly, and requires special readers for many programs.