Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Hoo Ha - OT - Lost Treasure Found, And More

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:38:58 GMT, "Charles Self"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Charles Self" wrote in message

With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and
an
old computer.

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got
tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.

Argh, choke, gasp. I just checked and the cheapest drum scanner at B&H Photo
is $4995. A bit of my class. Good film scanners can be had for under $300.

About 9 years ago, we had an issue at work that required us to get 35 mm
film processed to negatives and then generate the needed output from the
negatives ourselves. I found and rented a Kodak scanner that could scan
either slides or negatives (and process the negatives electronically to
correct color) into digital format. I don't recall the Kodak model right
now, I'm sure it's been superseded by at least 5 generations of improvement
by now anyway. The OP might check various local high-end digital photo
suppliers to determine whether they have something like that available for
rental. Might be a good way to get to use a high-quality unit without
having to buy it.