Posted to rec.woodworking
James Stewart

Default Craftsman Hand Tools

Does anyone know who makes Craftsman hand tools - i.e. wrenches and socket
sets, etc. Do they manufactur them or re-brand another mfg's product. The
packages all say "Made in the USA".

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

The sockets are made by Danaher. I'm not sure about the wrenches. With
that said, I've been very unhappy with both.

"James Stewart" wrote in message
Does anyone know who makes Craftsman hand tools - i.e. wrenches and socket
sets, etc. Do they manufactur them or re-brand another mfg's product. The
packages all say "Made in the USA".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sears is a retailer, not a manufacturer. The three-digit prefix before
the model number on each Sears-branded item indicates who made it.
Here's a list of the codes:

http://www.owwm.com/Craftsman/Manufacturers-Name.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking
John DeBoo

Then buy the Craftsman line, not the other **** line that you must be
associating with Craftsman. Their hand tools are excellent and a great
value. The replacement policy is great and the selection is too. I
used them as a mechanic for many many years and only replaced 5-6 at the
very most. Still use them and still have them. You sound like one of
the typical tool gatherers who frequent this forum and do nothing but
bitch about Sears products.
John

AL wrote:
The sockets are made by Danaher. I'm not sure about the wrenches. With
that said, I've been very unhappy with both.

"James Stewart" wrote in message

Does anyone know who makes Craftsman hand tools - i.e. wrenches and socket
sets, etc. Do they manufactur them or re-brand another mfg's product. The
packages all say "Made in the USA".

Posted to rec.woodworking
James Stewart

the model numbers on many of the tools that I refered to begin with 943 or
094 or 43.. depending on how you read their numbers (ie. a 3/8" 1/2" 6 point
socket carries the Sears item number of #0944055 and the mfg number #44055.
This does not correspond to any number on that web page.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sears is a retailer, not a manufacturer. The three-digit prefix before
the model number on each Sears-branded item indicates who made it.
Here's a list of the codes:

http://www.owwm.com/Craftsman/Manufacturers-Name.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

Several years ago I got tired of paying premium for Sears hand tools.
Knowing Master Mechanic carried the same lifetime warranty, I picked up a
set of 3/8 and 1/4 drive tools at a hardware store and mentioned Sears
pricing. The owner, a long time neighborhood store operator, said he had
sockets marked "craftsman" show up among the Master Mechanic sockets.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Cranium

John,

I have to agree with Al on this one. Craftsman hand tools are junk.
I used to think they were good too until I used some Mac and Snap-On
hand tools. Believe me, there IS a difference.

The Craftsman guarantee doesn't help much when you loose an hour to
return and replace the broken tool. $40 lost wages to replace a
$10-$20 tool doesn't make sense.

R.C.

AL wrote:
The sockets are made by Danaher. I'm not sure about the wrenches. With
that said, I've been very unhappy with both.

"James Stewart" wrote in message

Does anyone know who makes Craftsman hand tools - i.e. wrenches and socket
sets, etc. Do they manufactur them or re-brand another mfg's product. The
packages all say "Made in the USA".

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:25:28 GMT, "James Stewart"
wrote:

the model numbers on many of the tools that I refered to begin with 943 or
094 or 43.. depending on how you read their numbers (ie. a 3/8" 1/2" 6 point
socket carries the Sears item number of #0944055 and the mfg number #44055.
This does not correspond to any number on that web page.

I think you'll find that the first number you listed is the second
number (which is actually the catalog number of the item) plus the
preceding "09" which denotes the department number (Sears'
Hardware/Tools is department 9).

I'm not sure where you can find the manufacturer number on the
smaller, card mounted tools (individual sockets, for example). It
might be on the card, but in any event, the Sears format for whole
model numbers (not just the five digit catalog number you referred to)
is xxx.xxxxxx, where the first three digits are the manufacturer, the
period separates the fields, and the last several digits (could be
five, six, or even seven) is the catalog number.

roups.com...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
John,

I have to agree with Al on this one. Craftsman hand tools are junk.
I used to think they were good too until I used some Mac and Snap-On
hand tools. Believe me, there IS a difference.

The Craftsman guarantee doesn't help much when you loose an hour to
return and replace the broken tool. $40 lost wages to replace a
$10-$20 tool doesn't make sense.

Um like the Mac, Matco, or Snap-On truck is going to be on the spot when
you break one of their tools? I admit the more expensive tools feel better
when turning wrenches all day long but if you get the better polished
Craftsman you would have a hard time telling the difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

As an ex professional mechanic, I will say I hate snap simply for their high
polish, slippery tools. If you work with your hands all day, you could about
grab a cactus without problems. Last thing you need is something slippery. I
like ratchets and breaker bars with big sharp knurling and wrenches with a
large, fat cross section. Snap-On ratchets have those small, slick handles
and their wrenches are thin and oval. Great designs to slip and hurt
yourself. Alright for working on cars I guess where you really don't have to
put much effort into anything but lousy for the big stuff.

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

Um like the Mac, Matco, or Snap-On truck is going to be on the spot when
you break one of their tools? I admit the more expensive tools feel

better
when turning wrenches all day long but if you get the better polished
Craftsman you would have a hard time telling the difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"CW" wrote in message
k.net...
As an ex professional mechanic, I will say I hate snap simply for their
high
polish, slippery tools. If you work with your hands all day, you could
about
grab a cactus without problems. Last thing you need is something slippery.
like ratchets and breaker bars with big sharp knurling and wrenches with a
large, fat cross section. Snap-On ratchets have those small, slick handles
and their wrenches are thin and oval. Great designs to slip and hurt
yourself. Alright for working on cars I guess where you really don't have
put much effort into anything but lousy for the big stuff.

CW.. You are not suppose to apply pressure to the polished wrenches. You
are suppose to use an air-ratchet on the other side to do the work. LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

James Stewart wrote:
the model numbers on many of the tools that I refered to begin with 943 or
094 or 43.. depending on how you read their numbers (ie. a 3/8" 1/2" 6 point
socket carries the Sears item number of #0944055 and the mfg number #44055.
This does not correspond to any number on that web page.

You'll usually have to look at the actual product or packaging for the
prefix. I've never been able to find it in catalogs or on the web.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 11 Dec 2005 16:14:17 -0800, wrote:

Sears is a retailer, not a manufacturer. The three-digit prefix before
the model number on each Sears-branded item indicates who made it.
Here's a list of the codes:

http://www.owwm.com/Craftsman/Manufacturers-Name.asp

cool.. thanks!
Got that one bookmarked and am looking forward to checking some of the shop
tools!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
John DeBoo

Ahhh, but consider trying to replace that Snap-On, Mac or Cornwell etc
tool and how long it takes for that guy to come back on his mobile
circuit, vs going to a Sears store (provided you have one in your
locale) to replace it. Snap-On and many others are great tools, but I
found Craftsman to be the best bargain and value, and never once had a
problem replacing one, even when I used a cheater and screwed up a
wrench or broke a socket myself. They were also a whole lot cheaper
than the others.
John

Richard Cranium wrote:
John,

I have to agree with Al on this one. Craftsman hand tools are junk.
I used to think they were good too until I used some Mac and Snap-On
hand tools. Believe me, there IS a difference.

The Craftsman guarantee doesn't help much when you loose an hour to
return and replace the broken tool. $40 lost wages to replace a
$10-$20 tool doesn't make sense.

R.C.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Cranium

I'm not saying the Mac or the Snap-On truck is always there. What I
am saying is that their tools break far less often.

As an example: I tried to break loose the rusted phillips head screws
on some trim moulding by holding the screw driver in the screw head
and hitting the screw driver handle with a hammer. The first attempt
ruined the Craftsman screw driver. Another mechanic loaned me his
Snap-On. I finished the job with his screw driver and it still looked
as good as it did when he loaned it to me. I never bought another
Craftsman tool since

Your mileage may vary.

R.C.

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:02:38 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Um like the Mac, Matco, or Snap-On truck is going to be on the spot when
you break one of their tools? I admit the more expensive tools feel better
when turning wrenches all day long but if you get the better polished
Craftsman you would have a hard time telling the difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:47:47 -0600, Richard Cranium
wrote:

I'm not saying the Mac or the Snap-On truck is always there. What I
am saying is that their tools break far less often.

As an example: I tried to break loose the rusted phillips head screws
on some trim moulding by holding the screw driver in the screw head
and hitting the screw driver handle with a hammer. The first attempt
ruined the Craftsman screw driver. Another mechanic loaned me his
Snap-On. I finished the job with his screw driver and it still looked
as good as it did when he loaned it to me. I never bought another
Craftsman tool since

Craftsman Phillips head screwdrivers are the worst. I was never able
to use one for more than a half dozen screws (sometimes fewer) before
it was significantly degraded.

The first time I put a Klein on a screw I knew I had to buy a whole
new series of screwdrivers (a not insignificant task--I have
screwdriver sets in the shop, in the garage, in the computer room, in
the Explorer, in my electrical pouch, in my geek--TV/phone--bucket, in
my tower climbing belt, and in the radio room).

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:29:57 +0000, LRod wrote:

The only Craftsman tools I own are over 25 years old. When my father
passed on last year, his oldr Craftsman, Williams,Fairmount, and
Thorsan tools added to my own. Afterspending a fews, ok a few weeks,
sorting all them out, all the Tiawan, china, kmart crap left over
got put into a big box to got the auction house.

Keep all the good stuff, no such thing as to many tool, just not
enough storage.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:37:51 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Last thing you need is something slippery.

I like the high polish on Snap-on (easy wipe-down) but I agree that
they're too slippery. Th ewrnch handles are too oval, not flattened
enough to stop them rotating in your hand. My sockets are Snap-on, but
the ratchets and wrenches are Facom.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:20:19 -0700, John DeBoo
wrote:

Ahhh, but consider trying to replace that Snap-On, Mac or Cornwell etc
tool and how long it takes for that guy to come back on his mobile
circuit,

About an hour, if I phone and say it's urgent.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John DeBoo wrote:
Then buy the Craftsman line, not the other **** line that you must be
associating with Craftsman. Their hand tools are excellent and a great
value. The replacement policy is great and the selection is too. I
used them as a mechanic for many many years and only replaced 5-6 at the
very most. Still use them and still have them. You sound like one of
the typical tool gatherers who frequent this forum and do nothing but
bitch about Sears products.
John

Are you talking about the line of sockets and wrenches that say
Craftsman on the side, and which are sold at Sears, that have the
sockets routinely fall off the wrenches because the toleralances are
large enough to throw a cat through? The same set where you have to
hold the socket with your fingers while racheting because it takes so
much goddam pressure to "disengage" the ratchet?

Is THAT the line you're talking about? Cause that's the line I have.
Did I buy the wrong line of Craftsman?

You used them as a mechanic for many years. Which probably means you
bought them many years ago, back when they actually were good tools.

Times change, John. Perhaps you haven't?

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:37:51 +0000, CW wrote:

As an ex professional mechanic, I will say I hate snap simply for their
high polish, slippery tools. If you work with your hands all day, you
could about grab a cactus without problems.

I worked as a die-maker and had the blue callouses to prove it. (Yes,
blue. But that's another thread for another newsgroup.) Some things need
a light touch (or a smaller tool with guts), some things need a 3' breaker
bar and a 12 pound maul. Snap on makes 'finesse' hand tools and gutsy air
wrenches. I don't recall seeing a maul in their catalog. But I had one to
go with the 5# and 3# dead blow hammers in my lower drawer and the 3'
crowbar hanging from my pull-around handle.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 13 Dec 2005 13:02:22 -0800, wrote:

John DeBoo wrote:
Then buy the Craftsman line, not the other **** line that you must be
associating with Craftsman. Their hand tools are excellent and a great
value. The replacement policy is great and the selection is too. I
used them as a mechanic for many many years and only replaced 5-6 at the
very most. Still use them and still have them. You sound like one of
the typical tool gatherers who frequent this forum and do nothing but
bitch about Sears products.
John

Well, I'm not a tool gatherer, but more a tool user who found that Sears
Craftsman power tools (mid 1980's to probably about 1995 -- don't have any
experience since then, my momma didn't raise no fool) a) didn't work for
their application without significant tweaking or compensating for tool
shortcomings, and b) were cheap and not "cheap" as in "inexpensive", but
"cheap" as in poorly constructed, throw-away tools that didn't last long or
hold tolerances well.

The fact that I might from time to time warn people away from Craftsman
tools in no way reflects any element of tool snobbery or other attititude
-- it simply seeks to make sure that other people don't throw money away on
a tool for which they will curse the day they laid eyes on it. As someone
else has said, "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff".

Maybe Sears will turn the corner and change again for the better after
exploiting the Craftsman name and making the phrase "value engineering" a
term of derision. I'll let others be the guinea pigs though, I'm not going
to take that risk.

Are you talking about the line of sockets and wrenches that say
Craftsman on the side, and which are sold at Sears, that have the
sockets routinely fall off the wrenches because the toleralances are
large enough to throw a cat through? The same set where you have to
hold the socket with your fingers while racheting because it takes so
much goddam pressure to "disengage" the ratchet?

Is THAT the line you're talking about? Cause that's the line I have.
Did I buy the wrong line of Craftsman?

That paragraph was worth about 25 points. :-) You'll fit in fine in
this group.

You used them as a mechanic for many years. Which probably means you
bought them many years ago, back when they actually were good tools.

Times change, John. Perhaps you haven't?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not commenting on this thread, but the usual Snap-On vs Craftsman
threads...

I am not a 'professional'... I buy the tools I like and make enough to
afford the Snap-On when I get the urge to splurge...

I have mostly Craftsman, but have everything else from HF on up...

I hate it when 'pro's tell stories how they broke a Craftsman chrome
socket with an impact wrench...

If I say a 'pro' do that sh$% to my car, I would probably beat
(him/her) senseless with one of my 'cheap' tools....

Calling yourself a pro and giving up examples of non-pro work is
senseless...

In my opinion, if you aren't wrenching for a Formula-1 or other 'Pro'
racing team, you are just are not...