Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

Default Craftsman Hand Tools

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:25:28 GMT, "James Stewart"
wrote:

the model numbers on many of the tools that I refered to begin with 943 or
094 or 43.. depending on how you read their numbers (ie. a 3/8" 1/2" 6 point
socket carries the Sears item number of #0944055 and the mfg number #44055.
This does not correspond to any number on that web page.

I think you'll find that the first number you listed is the second
number (which is actually the catalog number of the item) plus the
preceding "09" which denotes the department number (Sears'
Hardware/Tools is department 9).

I'm not sure where you can find the manufacturer number on the
smaller, card mounted tools (individual sockets, for example). It
might be on the card, but in any event, the Sears format for whole
model numbers (not just the five digit catalog number you referred to)
is xxx.xxxxxx, where the first three digits are the manufacturer, the
period separates the fields, and the last several digits (could be
five, six, or even seven) is the catalog number.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Sears is a retailer, not a manufacturer. The three-digit prefix before
the model number on each Sears-branded item indicates who made it.
Here's a list of the codes:

http://www.owwm.com/Craftsman/Manufacturers-Name.asp

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net