Posted to rec.woodworking
Edgar Svendsen

Default Discontinued Delta Bandsw tires

I have a Delta model 28-195 10" bandsaw. Yesterday one of the tires broke.
I called Delta, that model is discontinued; therefore the repair parts are
discontinued. They will not support it at all.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a tire? It's polyurethane, crowned,
on a 10.5" wheel and 1 11/16" wide.

Given Delta's attitude the only alternative I seem to have is throw the
whole saw in the garbage.

I bought a Unisaw two years ago and now I'm worried. I suspect I'd better
buy some spares while Delta is still supporting it; it would be an expensive
tool to have to junk out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

Edgar Svendsen wrote:

I have a Delta model 28-195 10" bandsaw. Yesterday one of the tires broke.
I called Delta, that model is discontinued; therefore the repair parts are
discontinued. They will not support it at all.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a tire? It's polyurethane, crowned,
on a 10.5" wheel and 1 11/16" wide.

Check for other 10" bandsaws---there's little difference. You'll have
to crown the replacement yourself--there was an article in FWW a few
years ago on how to do it.

Given Delta's attitude the only alternative I seem to have is throw the
whole saw in the garbage.

I bought a Unisaw two years ago and now I'm worried. I suspect I'd better
buy some spares while Delta is still supporting it; it would be an expensive
tool to have to junk out.

Whole different class of tool...no comparison.
Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Edgar Svendsen wrote:
I have a Delta model 28-195 10" bandsaw. Yesterday one of the tires broke.
I called Delta, that model is discontinued; therefore the repair parts are
discontinued. They will not support it at all.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a tire? It's polyurethane, crowned,
on a 10.5" wheel and 1 11/16" wide.

Given Delta's attitude the only alternative I seem to have is throw the
whole saw in the garbage.

I bought a Unisaw two years ago and now I'm worried. I suspect I'd better
buy some spares while Delta is still supporting it; it would be an expensive
tool to have to junk out.

Give these folks a try: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/band_saw_tires.asp

Phone them. Their staff is quite knowledgeable about what you need.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
O D

Is it delta"s attitude or Black & Decker's
attitude ??????

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike from American Sycamore

I have been traveling and doing the Woodworking Shows across the
country. I work daily with the crews from Delta, Porter-Cable, and
Dewalt. I have been to Black & Decker University and I am very pleased
that I have worked with and met most of the top management from Black &
Decker in the woodworking department. Everyone has been so nice and so
very professional. Everything I hear and my gut feeling is that Black
& Decker will be good for everyone. Black & Decker is investing a lot
of capital into their brands to make them better and to make them even
more of a good value.

I do not know how to put this in nicer words, but that 10" bandsaw is
made for a light duty occasional use and I believe that it sold for
less than $99.00. This saw should be purchased for a child's hobby.
I always refused to sell it for I knew that it was a low end worthless
saw and only someone very frugal would even buy one. To be upset with
Delta for not having replacement parts for it is unfair. IMHO

Now if you had spent $800.00 for a real bandsaw and could not get parts
for it, then I too would feel your pain.

Good Luck,
Mike from American Sycamore

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike from American Sycamore

oops forgot to mention:

Carter Products
Grand Rapids, MI
www.carterproducts.com
616-647-3380

for replacement bandsaw tires

good luck,
Mike from American Sycamore

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

As others have said, you can easily find aftermarket replacements. How
about this one?

http://www.mikestools.com/426-01-094...-bandsaws.aspx

Regarding your unisaw, I presume you're referring to the 3 V-belts. Not to
worry. If they break, just go to your local auto parts store (for example
Napa), or your local metalworking supplier (for example McMaster Carr).
They'll have the right size, with quality better than the original. Or
switch to linkbelts.

"Edgar Svendsen" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a Delta model 28-195 10" bandsaw. Yesterday one of the tires broke.
I called Delta, that model is discontinued; therefore the repair parts are
discontinued. They will not support it at all.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a tire? It's polyurethane,
crowned, on a 10.5" wheel and 1 11/16" wide.

Given Delta's attitude the only alternative I seem to have is throw the
whole saw in the garbage.

I bought a Unisaw two years ago and now I'm worried. I suspect I'd better
buy some spares while Delta is still supporting it; it would be an
expensive tool to have to junk out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"mike from American Sycamore" wrote in message
I have been traveling and doing the Woodworking Shows across the
country. I work daily with the crews from Delta, Porter-Cable, and
Dewalt. I have been to Black & Decker University and I am very pleased
that I have worked with and met most of the top management from Black &
Decker in the woodworking department. Everyone has been so nice and so
very professional. Everything I hear and my gut feeling is that Black
& Decker will be good for everyone. Black & Decker is investing a lot
of capital into their brands to make them better and to make them even
more of a good value.

While I have no reason to doubt your observations, Mike, for some reason the
words "Black & Decker" are just not associated in my mind with quality ...
and I'm as suspicious of the ultimate outcome of that association as I would
be if Lee Valley were taken over by Home Depot.

In my mind it goes straight back to the fallacy in thinking that is
perpetuated in MBA schools - that you can "acquire" instead of develop, and
"manage" without the knowledge that development imparts.

Just look around ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:32:24 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

[...]

In 1999, Pentair, the owners of the tool group companies, Delta,
Porter Cable, and Devilbiss Air Power changed from a philosophy of
independent autonomous companies to one of consolidation and
globalization very popular with the consultants that many in top
management had been. It was a complete disaster for all stake holders
(stock owners, customers, distributors, suppliers, etc.). Their
ulitmate solution, sell the group to B & D.

Having lived through that horrific transition up close and personal,
it is hard for me to imagine B & D being anything but an improvement.
But time will tell.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
Swingman" wrote:

In my mind it goes straight back to the fallacy in thinking that is
perpetuated in MBA schools - that you can "acquire" instead of develop,

and
"manage" without the knowledge that development imparts.

In 1999, Pentair, the owners of the tool group companies, Delta,
Porter Cable, and Devilbiss Air Power changed from a philosophy of
independent autonomous companies to one of consolidation and
globalization very popular with the consultants that many in top
management had been. It was a complete disaster for all stake holders
(stock owners, customers, distributors, suppliers, etc.). Their
ulitmate solution, sell the group to B & D.

Which very nicely illustrates my contention above.

Having lived through that horrific transition up close and personal,
it is hard for me to imagine B & D being anything but an improvement.
But time will tell.

I hope you're correct. Just in my short time a marked downturn in Delta's
product quality is very noticeable. I just don't see B & D as the white
knight to reverse a declining tool quality when they were not noted
contenders in that department to begin with.

I guess what triggered my response was my contention that all the
"professionalism" exhibited by B & D that Mike was remarking upon is just
window dressing, IMO.

Granted, spit and polish in the military fosters "professionalism" and
discipline, but that's not all it takes when the mud, the blood, and the
gore from charging the hill to gain an objective takes the shine off the
belt buckle.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike from American Sycamore

It is not Delta nor Black & Decker fault....it is the stupid American
consumer....Read the average post here on the rec..."I want to buy a
new bandsaw and I want to pay $150.00 for it! What do you think?"
Well I think that for $150.00 it will be crap...that is what you want
to pay, that is what you are going to get, and that is what you
deserve. Everyone wants top quality, but very few are willing to pay
for it. During my show tarvels I get hundreds of questions on how can
I get my $150.00 band saw to preform like your $800.00? You can
not....Do not blame the manufactures for building the products into the
price point that the custyomer wants to pay!

good luck...
Mike from American Sycamore

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

mike from American Sycamore wrote:

...Do not blame the manufactures for building the products into the
price point that the custyomer wants to pay!

Amen, brother!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"mike from American Sycamore" wrote in message

It is not Delta nor Black & Decker fault....it is the stupid American
consumer....

I would agree that the consumer is not as smart as he used to be ... but
using that as an excuse for poor quality pretty well confirms that neither
is management.

not....Do not blame the manufactures for building the products into the
price point that the custyomer wants to pay!

That seems to fly directly into the face of your original implication about
B & D, to wit:

Black & Decker is investing a lot of capital into their brands to make
them better and to make them even
more of a good value.

No doubt there is validity in what you say. Too damn bad the offshoot is
that quality is becoming so rare that, even if you are willing to pay, it is
becoming difficult to find.

However, I am having difficulty in looking to B & D to rectify that.

Once again, my point is that what you are observing with B & D is no more
than the trading upon the _perception_ of past quality by those historically
incapable of producing same.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

mike from American Sycamore wrote:
It is not Delta nor Black & Decker fault....it is the stupid American
consumer....Read the average post here on the rec..."I want to buy a
new bandsaw and I want to pay $150.00 for it!

Wal-Mart mentality.

Let's not forget that the purchaser should be paid top dollar for what
he does, but everyone else deserves minimum wage. If the employees of
the businesses he patronizes look like they're making a decent living,
he's getting ripped off. G

I'm with ya', brother...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

"mike from American Sycamore" wrote in message

It is not Delta nor Black & Decker fault....it is the stupid American
consumer....

I would agree that the consumer is not as smart as he used to be ... but
using that as an excuse for poor quality pretty well confirms that neither
is management.

There's not an "excuse" of not as smart consumer -- the problem is that
quality and support take $$ to produce--it doesn't come for free.
Somewhere that cost has to be recouped or the price point has to go
down. For the typical consumer-level goods, there appears to be too
small a purchaser group willing to pay the price.
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Dill

Don't use link belts on a unisaw. Delta still sells a matched set of
belts for it. In addition, they go one step further and mill the belts
to get rid of the "bump" where they come togeather.

AL wrote:

As others have said, you can easily find aftermarket replacements. How
about this one?

http://www.mikestools.com/426-01-094...-bandsaws.aspx

Regarding your unisaw, I presume you're referring to the 3 V-belts. Not to
worry. If they break, just go to your local auto parts store (for example
Napa), or your local metalworking supplier (for example McMaster Carr).
They'll have the right size, with quality better than the original. Or
switch to linkbelts.

link.net...