pduck

Default For those of you with garage workshops...

How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

Andy

My shop is currently in a very damp basement, even with a dehumidifier.
I recently bought a silica gel box (Cabelas,
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...799&hasJS=true
)
I put this in a rubbermaid tub with the hand tools I really care about,
and it seems to work well. I haven't had it for a long time, and it
wouldn't help at all with the big power tools, but it might be
something to consider.
Andy

My shop is in the garage and the way that I handled it is that I built
a partition wall seperating my shop from where a car might go, put a
ceiling in it insulated the entire thing and run a window AC unit 24/7.
Perhaps overkill on the construction and a bit expensive for the AC
but none of my tools show any sign of rust. It is worth it to me as I
don't want to waste precious shop time doing rust remediation on my
tools. I also justify it in my mid as the shop is about the same temp
/ humidity as the house where the stuff I build will eventually be
deployed so - in theory - moisture takeup on the wood should be
somewhat consistent between environments.

My dad's shop is in what amounts to a detached garage and is in the
woods. He only runs the AC when he is in there and he is CONSTANTLY
fighting the rust problem.

Philly metro BTW so humidity is a real problem.

David

pduck wrote:

How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

leave the cars outside?? I haven't parked a car in my garage shop
for over 3 years. The cars are doing fine. They don't rust outside and
my shop doesn't get "disturbed". Then again, I don't live in snow
country. I thought most snow country homes had basements. I've
considered moving to the midwest and taking over an entire basement
(1,500 square feet) for my next shop. that would be so cool to have
plenty of room for stock. I could retire some of the equipment's mobile
stands with that much room. Each "toy" could stay put in a shop that
large. sigh...

Dave

David

D Steck wrote:

Heard of many folks putting Silica bags in the drawers with their handtools.

"pduck" wrote in message
news
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

they'd need a pretty large bag and drawer to hold a table saw.

Dave
tom

pduck wrote: How do you handle the problem of rust?
I moved from
Michigan to Arizona.. Tom

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Ah, one of the benefits we enjoy down here in New Mexico. The humidity
is so low, rust is never a problem.

My father-in-law lived in this house for 50+ years. After he died, as I
was going through his old tools, I was amazed to see how well preserved
they were in his garage.

Back in New Jersey, I used silica, rust preventors, WD40 ... anything I
could get my hands on to combat the onset of rust.

And usually, I would lose the battle.

Jack

pduck wrote:

How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

WillR

pduck wrote:
How do you handle the problem of rust?=20

Constant use and a lot of wiping and fondling of the tools...
:-)

If I pull my car into the garage=20
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's =

going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer=

,=20
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just=20
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right=

=20
next to everything.
=20
Thanks
=20

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Vic Baron

"pduck" wrote in message
news
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Don't put car in the garage - it is now a workshop!

Works for me

Vic

Nobody_special

pduck wrote:
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

Live in Arizona. Not much problem here.

---

Bob

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:42:23 GMT, pduck
wrote:

How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

Apart from the damage to your precious tools it's best to keep wet and
snow-covered cars out of a garage for their own sake - it accelerates
rust on the car because every time you bring them in the snow melts
and the salt starts to work on the metal.

Letting a fan run constantly in your garage is a good way to minimize
rust as it keeps the air moving wicking up moisture and it only costs
a few cents a day for electricity.

Bob
Amused

"pduck" wrote in message
news
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

I have such an arrangement. My comment? No problem. The humidity levels
in any workshop are not stable, anyway. In other words, when it rains,
(unless the shop is air conditioned), the humidity level inside the garage
will match that outside, which is probably close to 100 percent. In other
words, as long as the car isn't dripping directly on the tools, the only
tools that would be affected would probably already rusted.

And, I have the solution. Johnson's Paste Wax.

James..

No

I cant fit my vehicles in my 2 1/2 car garage (Full size pickup and a
suburban). I live outside of philly as well. I find my biggest issue is with
my table saw top but only when I leave something else metal on top. If its
left there for a while it sometimes leaves a mark. It cleans up easily
though. I guess I'm not using my tools enough!
"pduck" wrote in message
news
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

Not exactly on point, but a few years ago I was building a deck around
my pool. It started to rain, so I threw all of the tools I was using
into my wheelbarrow and rolled it into the shed. The tool only had a
few drips on them. The next day, sunny, I went out to continue, opened
the shed and every piece of steel was rusted like crazy. Note to self:
don't store tools around Chlorine. It was a hell of a mess.

Wyatt

I don't have a garage. I have a shop that is attached to my house.
There are double doors that lead to the back yard and a very large door
in the front that rolls up into the rafters when I press a button. On
the other side of the large door is a concrete slab about 16' wide that
leads to the street. I park my cars on that slab.

I live in St. Louis and get all types of weather. I don't have a
problem with rust on my power tools but I wax fairly often to keep the
wood running smoothly. The only place I see much rust is on the soles
of my planes. I wax them too, but it wears off pretty easily.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Amused wrote:
I have such an arrangement. My comment? No problem. The humidity levels
in any workshop are not stable, anyway. In other words, when it rains,
(unless the shop is air conditioned), the humidity level inside the garage
will match that outside, which is probably close to 100 percent. In other
words, as long as the car isn't dripping directly on the tools, the only
tools that would be affected would probably already rusted.

And, I have the solution. Johnson's Paste Wax.

My experience is pretty much the same. I have a two car garage where I normally
park one car. If I wash the car, I dry it before I park it. If it's raining,
so be it... it goes in wet. I've had very little rusting of my tools in the
garage. In fact, the last time I had to clean rust off the table saw's top, it
was because I had dripped sweat on it.

I use Johnson's paste wax on my tools too.

FWIW, I live in North Carolina where there is plenty of heat and humidity. As I
write this, I've got an HVAC crew installing a new heat pump for my house and
they're going to add a register in the garage for me to help cool it. Film at
11....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

skeezics

wrote:

How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

I simply do not allow cars in the garage/worlshop. I leave em out in
the driveway as it should be! lol... automobiles are much too messy to
be in the shop. and just to solidify this i parked a unisaw in front
of one door and a very large and heavy work bench in front of the
other!!!!!!!!!!

skeez
Dave Hall

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:58:53 -0700, David wrote:

pduck wrote:

[...]

I DO live in snow country and neither my wife's nor my car come
inside the house (needless to say the kids' cars don't either). The
wife was less than pleased by that when we contemplated purchasing the
current home and she thought she might get to use the garage, but
after we talked and she accepted that she got a dining room, a living
room, 3 bathrooms and virtually the entire walk-in closet and all I
got from the new house was a little bit bigger garage shop, she was OK
with it.

Dave Hall

D Steck

"David" wrote in message
pduck wrote:

[...]

Oh sure, you only think you'd get the entire basement!!!! I get a little
corner of an unfinished basement. SWMBO wants it finished and we are
currently in negotiation on how much of it I get for the shop!!!

If you ever do move, make sure you get a basement with at least 9' ceilings.

David

pduck wrote:

[...]

ah, the art of compromise!

Dave
David

D Steck wrote:

"David" wrote in message

pduck wrote:

[...]

I'm HOPING I'd get the whole basement! Having discussed it at length
with SWMBO, it appears I would snag the entire basement if we ever move
to a house similar to the one we spent several days looking at in KS.
The ceilings were 9'. I wouldn't want less if I plan on putting a shop
into one. Lower than that would be a deal breaker.

Dave
Amused

"David" wrote in message
D Steck wrote:

"David" wrote in message

pduck wrote:

[...]

My suggestion, do NOT strive for a basement workshop. Invariable, it's
difficult to move supplies in an out of the basement, even if the stairway
is in the garage. If you have the laundry facilities in the basement, dust
(even with a good dust collector) will prove to be an insurmountable
problem. The noise from power tools, especially pneumatic nailers, can
generate enormous complaints from the rest of the family. But the biggie,
from my experience is finishing procedures. Varnishes, even the new latex
paints, still have an odors that will invariable seep to the rest of the
home and only then will you find out that every single person in your
household has asthma, bronchial or acute respiratory failure, and if you
open up one more can, you will be charged under the domestic violence laws.

Where in Kansas? James, north central Kansas.

Leon

I live in good ole Humid Houston and my wife brings her rained on car into
the garage all the time. Rust is not a problem. I use TopCote on the
machined surfaces of the large tools.
Condensation will be your biggest rust problem. If you have no condensation
on your tools you should have little to no rust. Condensation will occur
when you have a fast temperature change. Don't let the temperature change
quickly and you should not have any condensation.

"pduck" wrote in message
news
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...

My dad's shop is in what amounts to a detached garage and is in the
woods. He only runs the AC when he is in there and he is CONSTANTLY
fighting the rust problem.

Philly metro BTW so humidity is a real problem.

The AC is the problem. He should either leave the AC on or off to help
prevent the rust. Its the drastic temperature change that causes moisture
in the air to condense on his tools.

David

Amused wrote:

"David" wrote in message

D Steck wrote:

"David" wrote in message

pduck wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info, James.

Hmmm...I have an attached garage that I do HVLP spraying. I sometimes
smell a bit of the sprayed product inside the house, but it isn't
objectionable often or bad enough to be concerned. I would be concerned
if spraying inside a basement would worsen the problem.

I'd only get a walk-out basement for ease of bringing in supplies and
taking out projects. No way I'd consider just stairs!

"Family" is just me and the missus. (Besides visitors--but I'd skip
the woodworking if someone's visiting for a few days)

The house we considered has a laundry room behind the garage, on the
main floor. Beats hauling laundry up and down the basement stairs.

My wife's computer/sewing room's right next to the shop. She has said
the shop noise doesn't intrude. Plus, she knows what it's like to live
with a shop right under her bedroom, during a previous "life". I was
watching PBS last night--60's music--while she was sleeping soundly
beside me in the bedroom. Lights and TV noise don't wake her up. The
neighbors fricking barking dogs do (wake her), but they have all
recently gotten barking collars, which WORK, thank God!

I'm concerned about the humidity level (with a/c from the central unit)
in a basement, even barring a water seepage problem in the basement. Do
you know the humidity level of your basement and of the main living
quarters? I know it can get pretty humid in the midwest. I spent 3
years in MO. Is a basement always going to be inherently more humid
than the upper stories, even with an a/c register always open in the
basement?

oh, our washer and drier are in my garage shop and I've yet to see a
problem. What EXACTLY is the problem with the laundry being done in the
shop area? Our drier vents outside. I don't like it when hot water is
being used in the washer if I'm about to do finishing, but other than
that, the 2 functions have coexisted fine ever since I started
woodworking in the shop.

Lenexa or vicinity.

Dave
Badger

pduck wrote:

How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

Leave the car outside until its dry?

Garaging wet vehicles is one of the biggest causes of rust...
Amused

"David" wrote in message
Amused wrote:

"David" wrote in message

D Steck wrote:

"David" wrote in message

pduck wrote:

[...]

Think of a cold winter day. While it is true that inside air and outside
air are eventually exchanged, there still will be some overlap and any
significant odor in the basement will eventually be circulated throughout
the house, especially in the forced air system your most likely to find in
eastern Kansas.

I'd only get a walk-out basement for ease of bringing in supplies and
taking out projects. No way I'd consider just stairs!

That's a point, but just to play devil's avocate, how are go to get to that
walkout basement, unless you find one with basement garages. Think of
having to drive your truck in the backyard with some frequency. I'm sure
you can find exactly what you're looking for, but it's likely to take some
looking.

"Family" is just me and the missus. (Besides visitors--but I'd skip the
woodworking if someone's visiting for a few days)

The house we considered has a laundry room behind the garage, on the main
floor. Beats hauling laundry up and down the basement stairs.

Sure does.

[...]

From my experience, humidity just isn't a problem. Since it's raining
outside, right now, I'm sure the humidity level in my garage/shop is right
at 100%. BTW, it's been so hot lately, I bought a used window air
conditioner ($15 gloat) and stuck it in a garage window. Works like a
champ. Even when outside tempertures peaked at over 100 degrees, this
summer, the window unit would keep the inside of the workshop in the low
80's. Not perfect, but certainly acceptable. (At that air conditioner spat
out a stead stream of water, too).

Note: I moved two months, ago. We used the "pods", that were stored in the
open for ten days. I had tools, (hacksaw frames, coping saw frames, etc)
that rusted for the first time in 25 years. Some beyond salvation, unless I
want to spend hours with a wire brush. The "pods", sitting in a storage
lot, heated up to very high tempertures during the day, then rapidly cooled
probably 60 or 70 degrees, when the sun went down. There was condesation
damage on more than just my tools. (This is, apparently a problem with
moving vans, too, if the move is not directly from house to house.)

If, I was going to do it again, I swear I'd call an auctioneer and sell out
everything except the absolutely irreplaceable items and start all over
again in the new location.

oh, our washer and drier are in my garage shop and I've yet to see a
problem. What EXACTLY is the problem with the laundry being done in the
shop area?

I had a shop in the basement. I even install special wiring. (Man-oh-man,
it was slick). But even with a dust collector, there was still a fine
coating of dust in the laundry room and on clothes that my wife would
ocassionaly decide couldn't go into the dryer. Eventually, the shop
migrated half of a double car garage, and then very gradually, took over the
whole garage.

Our drier vents outside. I don't like it when hot water is being used in
the washer if I'm about to do finishing, but other than that, the 2
functions have coexisted fine ever since I started woodworking in the
shop.

Lenexa or vicinity.

We, sold out and moved from western Shawnee, just two months, ago. Johnson
County's ever-esculating property taxes are just not condusive to a genteel
retirement.

Dave

dave lindsay

Dehumidifier and air conditioning for summer, natural gas for winter. Use
topcoat or similar. . Leave the vehicles outside. Believe it or not, rust
becomes more active when it gets warmer.
wrote in message
news
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

Edwin Pawlowski

"pduck" wrote in message
Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Priorities. Car has not been in the garage since I got my Delta contractor
saw.

snowdog

"pduck" wrote in message
news
How do you handle the problem of rust? If I pull my car into the garage
after it has been out in the rain, or covered with snow and salt, it's
going to really do a number on my tools. Not only my table saw, jointer,
etc, but also the smaller hand tools like chisels and planes. Just
putting a dehumidifier isn't going to do much good with a wet car right
next to everything.

Thanks

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.

Had to negotiate with SWMBO when we moved into our current house. I got to
take over the two-car garage, er.. workshop. And had a carport built right
in front of the garage to cover the vehicles, N Texas is famous for its hail
storms. I added windows AC and some IR Radiant heaters and now the roll up
doors only open during perfect weather or to move wood/ projects in and out.

John C

Brian Elfert

"D Steck" writes:

Oh sure, you only think you'd get the entire basement!!!! I get a little
corner of an unfinished basement. SWMBO wants it finished and we are
currently in negotiation on how much of it I get for the shop!!!

I'm not married, so my entire basement is my shop. Well, other than
utility room, storage room, and bathroom. Of course, it has been 4
winters now and the shop isn't done yet. Should be done this winter.

I still want to build a real shop in the backyard as I have to remove my
egress window to get any sheet goods or anything large into the shop.

If you ever do move, make sure you get a basement with at least 9' ceilings.

That is going to be hard to find. I wanted a 13 course basement, but
water problems prevented the basement from going that deep.

Brian Elfert
Edwin Pawlowski

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

I'm not married, so my entire basement is my shop.

In that case, the entire HOUSE can be your shop. Must be handy to have a
table saw in the living room, right next to the recliner.

woodworker88

I just finished kicking my dad's junk out of the garage and no way will
the car ever go in there! I have had a few problems with rust though,
but once I was aware of them I just got used to spraying WD-40 on every
tool whenever I finished using it. The biggest problem was on hand
plane irons and soles. I have had to box up all my hand tools a couple
of times, and once I took out the old #4 bench plane and ended up
sanding the rust off it, there was so much of it. The biggest rust
problem right now is the skyscraper model I have sitting in the
backyard right now...

Junior Member

Have similar rust problems that have been discussed in threard. Anyone have ideas removing the rust from cast iron saw tops, jointers etc. Also I find it on most of my planes and hand tools. Some are pitted and I would like to find a cure-all rust remover and preventer, if such a fantasy exists.
Would welcome any suggestions.
Thumbs
Amused

"thumbs" wrote in message

Have similar rust problems that have been discussed in threard. Anyone
have ideas removing the rust from cast iron saw tops, jointers
etc. Also I find it on most of my planes and hand tools. Some are
pitted and I would like to find a cure-all rust remover and preventer,
if such a fantasy exists.
Would welcome any suggestions.
Thumbs

000 or 0000 steel wool, elbow grease, followed by a liberal coat of
Johnson's Paste wax. Reapply the paste wax at regular intervals.

Some, from time to time, have suggested some exotic blends, like the wax
used on bowling lanes and some of the silicone formulas. While I haven't
tried them, I'd guess we're really talking about length of time between
re-applications, and not overall performance. Johnson's paste wax is
relatively cheap and it works.

WD-40 certainly has it uses, but it's been my experience that WD-40 will
eventually dry out and leave a "varnish" on tools. (For some tool, this
might be desirable, if the tool is used in a greasy environment and the
varnish actually helps with the grip, but I have my doubts)

For me, I've been known to run greasy handtools through the dishwasher,
using plain old dishwashing soap, then immediately coating them using a
slightly oily rag. The machine and the soap are specifically designed to
remove food grease, it works just as well on petroleum grease. BTW, this
should be a very, very light coating of oil, practically invisible to the
naked eye. It should not leave a significant stain when laid on a sheet of
newspaper.

Needless to say, this procedure is NEVER accomplished while SWMBO is in
residence.

Top end tools, like Snap-on, etc, have such a heavy chromium coat, it's been
my experience that they won't rust during a life time of non-Trade
(mechanic) usage. Older Craftsman-level tools, do require attention from
time to time. It's my opinion, that Craftsman-level tools are the best
value for the non-professional, but for a serviceable lifetime, must be
addressed from time to time.

Older, non-chromium plated hand tools can be brought back by removing all
rust, (steel wood or a wire wheel, if necessary) and then using the
dishwasher method to remove grime. By the way, I would add a second step,
here. After a through cleaning, I've found that navel jelly can be used in
some instances, to return the tool to the darker surface, that is
commonplace on the old tools. Again, the jelly must be thoroughly removed,
and the oil rag used to prevent future rust.

I would, also, caution about such anal-retentive measures on any tool with
rubber grips. Hard water stains can be virtually eliminated by adding Jet
Dry and a touch of Lime Away. (If you're stupid enough to use this on
electrical tools, please remove yourself from the gene pool, immediately).

Sometimes, it depends on other factors. I am cheap. I will willing pay for
commercial level tools, but I like to keep them in as pristine condition as
possible. So, a new tool, (if appropriate), say an electric drill, will
receive a coat of Armor-all, especially on the plastic surface, immediately
on purchase. Armor-all (and there are other such products) more or less
repels dirt and grease.

Hand planes are completely different kettle of fish. For working planes (as
opposed to display planes), break them down to their individual components,
removing the handles completely. Remove the planes from the washer, before
the drying cycle and hand dry each component, with a clean soft rag.
THOROUGHLY dry each component. Then, coat each component, individually with
the wax. The process will remove any dirt and grime (from the smallest
crevasses) that may have accumulated over time. It will closely resemble a
plane. If you fail to thoroughly dry the item, it will closely resemble a
mass of rust. (Of course, this method will remove most of the patina highly
prized by collectors, and is a great way to take an expensive collectable
plane and reduce it's value significantly).

One "old-timer" has taught me a valuable lesson for garden tools. His
ancient shovels and hoes are in magnificent condition. He thoroughly cleans
them after every use, (no matter how minor), and again uses an oily rag. At
least once a year, every wooden handle is re-coated with linseed oil. BTW,
his tools are very slowly disappearing. He sharpens his shovels and hoes
just as any craftsman would sharpen a saw. There is a small, but
perceptible ease when using his tools, as compared to blunt tools most use.

Dave Hall wrote:

live in snow country and neither my wife's nor my car come
inside the house (needless to say the kids' cars don't either). The
wife was less than pleased by that when we contemplated purchasing the
current home and she thought she might get to use the garage, but
after we talked and she accepted that she got a dining room, a living
room, 3 bathrooms and virtually the entire walk-in closet and all I
got from the new house was a little bit bigger garage shop, she was OK
with it.

Dave Hall

maybe get her one of those canvas car awnings to park under. not as
much protection as a garage, but better than nothing. something like:
http://www.centraltarp.com/html/shelters_0.html