nospambob

Default Way OT- Mozilla Firefox help

My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:35:41 -0700, nospambob wrote:
My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

What's it (not) doing? My email address is real if you want to do it
there.

Dave

Lew Hodgett

nospambob wrote:
My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

If you have a utility such as System Suite 2000 that will allow you to
clean out and restore your registry, that would be my first step.

It is a broad axe technique but it usually works for me.

Delete the entire FireFox directory, then go back and clean up the
registry and get rid of all the broken links, etc.

After that, try downloading again.

HTH

Lew

George E. Cawthon

nospambob wrote:
My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

Get a friend with a high speed connection to
download it to CD/DVD, then install from the CD.
Besides, if you have IE, just download another
copy.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:24:28 -0700, lgb wrote:

Luckily it didn't destroy Gravity :-).

Understood, completely.
Bob G.

wrote:

My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

uninstall then download it again,,., I Do use Firefox as a
browser...use Forte Agent as a newsreader... To be honest
never had a problem with either,,,, Both Free versions

Bob Griffiths
alexy

Bob G. wrote:

I Do use Firefox as a
browser...use Forte Agent as a newsreader... To be honest
never had a problem with either,,,,

Me, too. Great combination.
Both Free versions

Except that I paid for agnet to git the spel cehcker, beacuse without
ti, and with my speling and tpying skiills, my possts wouuld lokk like
this.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
nospambob wrote:
My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

what are the symptoms?

does it load, the window open, and then just 'not work'?

nospambob wrote:
My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

If you cannot successfully uninstall and reinstall Firefox to the
default location try a fresh install to an alternate location.

Windows is so insanely stupid that when you reinstall software it
will not overwrite files that are already there (except maybe for
your user data files) so that if you are doing a reinstall to correct
corrupt files it doesn't work. Windows was written to make it
very difficult to fix corrupted programs, whether on purpose or
through gross incompetence is anybody's guess.

--

FF

nospambob

BTDT twice and both times get same error MSD, something about not
finding START.MOZILLA.ORG. I bought Agent for the support that has
been outstanding. Liked free Agent and decided to avoid problems.
Mozilla has a forum but you need a viable Mozilla browser to use it.
Appreciate the help from all!

wrote:

My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

uninstall then download it again,,., I Do use Firefox as a
browser...use Forte Agent as a newsreader... To be honest
never had a problem with either,,,, Both Free versions

Bob Griffiths

alexy

nospambob wrote:

BTDT twice and both times get same error MSD, something about not
finding START.MOZILLA.ORG.

I seem to remember a checkbox on install for "use firefox start for
home page" I always uncheck that. Sounds like what it was looking for.

Mozilla has a forum but you need a viable Mozilla browser to use it.

I had no problem opening http://forums.mozillazine.org/ in IE. I've
only used the forums from firefox, though. Where are you getting
stuck. I can't believe they would make it not work in ie, since they
want to be able to attract current IE users. And to support
Thunderbird for non-firfox users.

damian penney

Try starting firefox from the command prompt with firefox
-profilemanager and create a new profile (it's usually a corrupt
profile that messes firefox up). You can then reimport your bookmarks
from the old profile which is in documents and
settings/usrname/application
data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/oldrandomprofilenamr/bookmarks.htm that
should do the trick.

Jonah

Chances are that your files are still there somewhere. You'd get better results posting this question to one of the
Microsoft support groups.

For about the cost of the Win98 O/S dick, you can get a used or reburbished Dell with WinXP installed. The 20th century
is long over...get with the program!

lgb wrote:
In article , says...

Try Mozilla's counterpart newsreader/mail program - Thunderbird. I'll never open Outlook Express again!

I just updated from W95 to W98SE. Yes, I know I'm slow :-).

W98 has completely wiped out my address books and inbox/sent/trash folders. Even
restoring them from a CD backup doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Luckily it didn't destroy Gravity :-).

Dave in Fairfax

"Bill C." wrote:
I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
nospambob wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:36:23 -0000,
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

In article ,
nospambob wrote:
My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

what are the symptoms?

does it load, the window open, and then just 'not work'?

AYUP to both.

If the 'just not work' includes "don't even get the I-beam cursor, when
clicking on the URL entry panel" then -- BINGO! I ran into the *exactly*
the same problem. Took some digging to get to the bottom of it, but the
culprit was "something" clobbered in the 'extensions' I'd selected. *AND*
'uninstalling' Firefox does *NOT* remove the extensions, thus a re-install
_automatically_ picked the problem child up again.

Here's the fix:

First, "uninstall" firefox, if you haven't already.

Next, do the following:
Start-Search-files and folders

Search for the name Mozilla

You should get several matches. One of them will be a folder
under "Application Data" (the exact path depends on the OS version,
and what 'username' you're using, if applicable)

Now, open Windows explorer (Start[right-click]-explore), and go to that
folder. In it there will be a folder named 'firefox', click on that.

In that folder, will be a folder named "profiles", click on _that_.

In _that_ folder will be a folder with a 'garbage' 8-character name, probably
the only thing in the folder. click on *that*.

In *that* will be a folder named "Extensions", click on THAT (hang in
there, we're almost done!

In THAT folder, click on 'Edit-Select All" from the menu bar. then
click on "file-delete" from the menu bar. confirm that you want to
send things to the recycle bin, if asked.

Close Windows Explorer.

"empty recycle bin".

Run the Firefox installer program again. It should be on your hard-disk
"somewhere". do a "start-search-files or folders" for
Firefox*setup*exe
and you should find it.

If not, and you cant get to the regular Firefox download site, there's a copy
of the 1.0.4 installer at
http://www.r-bonomi.com/firefox.exe

(If you're fool enough to trust an executable from a random web-site.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:31:14 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:
"Bill C." wrote:
I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

damian penney

wrote:
"Bill C." wrote:
[...]

Firefox 1.0.3 did indeed have a couple of issues but they have since
been patched in 1.0.4 IE with all available patches applied is still
full of holes though, you can check here http://secunia.com/product/9/
for a full list of IE issues and by comparison for Firefox
http://secunia.com/product/4227/.

Firefox "Currently, 4 out of 17 Secunia advisories, is marked as
"Unpatched" in the Secunia database." with the highest threat level
being Less Critical 2/5

IE "Currently, 9 out of 47 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched"
in the Secunia database." with the highest threat level being Highly
Critical 4/5

Dave in Fairfax

Dave Hinz wrote:
Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

Symantec came up with the warning, but my wife at DoD says the
newest Firefox, v 1.0.4 has a fix in it, so that one *should* be
safe.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Jonah

Mozilla just released version 1.0.4 within the past week to address some security issues. This will probably be the
trend as it gets more popular and more bad guys become interested in taking advantage of it. It's still way better than
any MS product in terms of both security and performance, IMHO. Having said that, I've never heard anything about any
Java problems with Firefox.

"Bill C." wrote:

I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:15:08 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:
Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

Symantec came up with the warning, but my wife at DoD says the
newest Firefox, v 1.0.4 has a fix in it, so that one *should* be
safe.

Ah, OK, that's week old news then. Gotcha.

Robert Bonomi

"Bill C." wrote:
I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

Exploit discovered about 10 days ago. broad-based problem -- not just
with Mozilla stuff. complicated timing-issue exploit by a malicious web-site.

_Already_fixed_ in FireFox 1.0.4, and Mozilla 1.7.8. out within _days_
of the vulnerability announcement.

George E. Cawthon

"Bill C." wrote:

I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

That information is not correct. Comparatively,
if Firefox "has a major security problem" then IE
"has NO security."

Brian Livingston just had a recent article on
Firefox vs. IE in the latest online issue of his
news column. Good information.

Check here to get the column and subscribe (free)
or pay some money and get a lot more stuff:

WindowsSecrets.com/info
Mark Rance

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
"Bill C." wrote:
I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your
friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

What ae the specifics of the security probelm you speak of with Firefox?

-Mark

Mark Rance

wrote:
"Bill C." wrote:
I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your
friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux
and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

That is what I am wondering...is Dave the only guy to figure out what got by
all the Firefox developers? :^)

-Mark

Dave in Fairfax

Mark Rance wrote:
That is what I am wondering...is Dave the only guy to figure out what got by
all the Firefox developers? :^)

You're reading and replying to old segments of the thread, or at
least out of sync with what's happened in the thread. The upshot
was that the security holes were fixed in Firefox v1.0.4.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:59:31 -0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:31:14 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

Exploit discovered about 10 days ago. broad-based problem -- not just
with Mozilla stuff. complicated timing-issue exploit by a malicious web-site.

_Already_fixed_ in FireFox 1.0.4, and Mozilla 1.7.8. out within _days_
of the vulnerability announcement.

That's the one I figured it was, so "nothing current" was it. It's
wonderful (and not surprising) how fast the vulnerabilities in
open-source software are fixed. Nothing like a team of motivated geeks
to get the job done right, and right now.

Dave Hinz

"Bill C." wrote:
I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your
friend.
Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ...
it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and
lost nothing. Nothing.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

What ae the specifics of the security probelm you speak of with Firefox?

The vulnerability in question was resolved more than a week ago, with
version 1.04.

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and
Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have
to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it
useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in
the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Got a link? My sources don't seem to mention anything current. One of
us has newer information than the other...not sure who.

That is what I am wondering...is Dave the only guy to figure out what got by
all the Firefox developers? :^)

You mean Dave Dave, not Me Dave, right?

Dave