Robert Bonomi

In article ,
nospambob wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:36:23 -0000,
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

In article ,
nospambob wrote:
My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet
Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is
broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another
related program but Firefox works or did for me.

what are the symptoms?

does it load, the window open, and then just 'not work'?

AYUP to both.

If the 'just not work' includes "don't even get the I-beam cursor, when
clicking on the URL entry panel" then -- BINGO! I ran into the *exactly*
the same problem. Took some digging to get to the bottom of it, but the
culprit was "something" clobbered in the 'extensions' I'd selected. *AND*
'uninstalling' Firefox does *NOT* remove the extensions, thus a re-install
_automatically_ picked the problem child up again.

Here's the fix:

First, "uninstall" firefox, if you haven't already.

Next, do the following:
Start-Search-files and folders

Search for the name Mozilla

You should get several matches. One of them will be a folder
under "Application Data" (the exact path depends on the OS version,
and what 'username' you're using, if applicable)

Now, open Windows explorer (Start[right-click]-explore), and go to that
folder. In it there will be a folder named 'firefox', click on that.

In that folder, will be a folder named "profiles", click on _that_.

In _that_ folder will be a folder with a 'garbage' 8-character name, probably
the only thing in the folder. click on *that*.

In *that* will be a folder named "Extensions", click on THAT (hang in
there, we're almost done!

In THAT folder, click on 'Edit-Select All" from the menu bar. then
click on "file-delete" from the menu bar. confirm that you want to
send things to the recycle bin, if asked.

Close Windows Explorer.

"empty recycle bin".

Run the Firefox installer program again. It should be on your hard-disk
"somewhere". do a "start-search-files or folders" for
Firefox*setup*exe
and you should find it.

If not, and you cant get to the regular Firefox download site, there's a copy
of the 1.0.4 installer at
http://www.r-bonomi.com/firefox.exe

(If you're fool enough to trust an executable from a random web-site.