Phil Axtell

Default Help with Mozilla

Hi all,

Today AOL informed me they are no longer going to be supporting
newsgroups...this one in particular. I downloaded Mozilla and installed it as
they suggested, but alas, I can't get to rec.crafts.woodturning.

Can anyone here walk me through setting Mozilla up for this newsgroup? I would
be eternally grateful. There must be a lot of other AOL subscribers having the
same problem. Aren't there? Or am I the only slow one?

Thanks,

Phil Axtell

Ralph

Is that message really from AOL or is somebody being funny? I haven't
seen this message on any other newsgroups.

Arch

Hi Phil, Sure enjoyed swapping lies with you at the Fl Symposium.
Forget Mozilla and upgrade to webtv's advanced technology for
grandfathers. I bet there's more than a few rcw members who wish I had
AOL.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Dave in Fairfax

Phil Axtell wrote:
Today AOL informed me they are no longer going to be supporting
newsgroups...this one in particular. I downloaded Mozilla and installed it as
they suggested, but alas, I can't get to rec.crafts.woodturning.
Can anyone here walk me through setting Mozilla up for this newsgroup? I would
be eternally grateful. There must be a lot of other AOL subscribers having the
same problem. Aren't there? Or am I the only slow one?

What were the instructions that they gave you? Did they give you
a news server? What are the settings that you have under: WINDOW,
MAIL & NEWSGROUPS, EDIT, MAIL & NEWSGROUPS ACCT SETTINGS, SERVER
SETTINGS. Guess why AOHell is so detested.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
J. Clarke

Ralph wrote:

Is that message really from AOL or is somebody being funny? I haven't
seen this message on any other newsgroups.

It seems to be official--I don't usually use AOL for USENET, so I tried
their USENET service today and first thing that happened was that it popped
up a message telling me that AOL was dropping USENET and suggesting some
alternatives.

Getting back to Phil's problem, though, the difficulty is not in setting up
Mozilla, it's in finding a news provider that carries the group you want.
USENET is not monolithic, it is a distributed service and no server carries
all groups and no group is on all servers. I've been using newsguy for
several years and have no complaints so far--it carries most of USENET with
a fairly long retention time and reasonably fast propagation. A lot of
people swear by news.individual.net (I've seen Steve Jobs post from there)
which is free and has some restrictions, one of which is that one use a
valid address. There are others--entering "usenet" at an AOL search prompt
will find a bunch of commercial services and googling "free USENET server"
will find a bunch of free ones--note that not all free servers allow
posting.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Bill Day

On 25 Jan 2005 17:33:39 GMT, ojunk (Phil Axtell)
wrote:

Hi all,

Today AOL informed me they are no longer going to be supporting
newsgroups...this one in particular. I downloaded Mozilla and installed it as
they suggested, but alas, I can't get to rec.crafts.woodturning.

Can anyone here walk me through setting Mozilla up for this newsgroup? I would
be eternally grateful. There must be a lot of other AOL subscribers having the
same problem. Aren't there? Or am I the only slow one?

Thanks,

Phil Axtell

using Mozilla, or any other application that will read newsgroups, you
still need someone to supply the 'feed' that AOL says they are
dropping. You can pay for a service, you can read this group thru
Google...which is ok, but a compromise on features...or you can sign
up with
http://individual.net/ this is a German university server that
will give you 'most' of the non-binary groups. I have been using it
for months now, and it is very good....the catch is, it is not an
automated process....every application is hand-processed by real
people as time permits, so it might take them a week or two to get you
added. It WILL be worth it though, unless you need the binary
(pictures and music) groups.

Of course, my first advice would be to get away from AOL and get a
real ISP where all this is not a problem.
Dr. Deb

Phil Axtell wrote:

Hi all,

Today AOL informed me they are no longer going to be supporting
newsgroups...this one in particular. I downloaded Mozilla and installed
it as they suggested, but alas, I can't get to rec.crafts.woodturning.

Can anyone here walk me through setting Mozilla up for this newsgroup? I
would
be eternally grateful. There must be a lot of other AOL subscribers
having the
same problem. Aren't there? Or am I the only slow one?

Thanks,

Phil Axtell

Why not change ISP? You will save money and get better service. If you can
subscribe to AOL, you can bet there are others available.

Deb

Hi Arch,

I thought Webtv was when my wife forgot to dust off the screen. I am
REALLY Webtv illiterate.
I enjoyed chatting with you, too, at the Florida Symposium. It sure
was a great little symposium, didn't you think. I particularly enjoyed
Bruce Hoover's demos. The one on woodturning tips and tricks was just
chock-full of ideas.

I'm using Google, now, but will probably switch to Mozilla if I can get
a server lined up. I'm trying to get News.individual.net on Bill Day's
advice here.

Thanks, all, for your help and comments.

Phil Axtell
Space Coast Woodturners
Central Florida Woodturners
Orange County (CA) Woodturners

Gerald Ross

Dr. Deb wrote:
Phil Axtell wrote:

Hi all,

Today AOL informed me they are no longer going to be supporting
newsgroups...this one in particular. I downloaded Mozilla and installed
it as they suggested, but alas, I can't get to rec.crafts.woodturning.

Can anyone here walk me through setting Mozilla up for this newsgroup? I
would
be eternally grateful. There must be a lot of other AOL subscribers
having the
same problem. Aren't there? Or am I the only slow one?

Thanks,

Phil Axtell

Why not change ISP? You will save money and get better service. If you can
subscribe to AOL, you can bet there are others available.

Deb

Ask your friends what ISP they use and ask at a local
computer store (where they repair and build computers,
usually locally owned) what ISPs they use and know of in
your area. Then call the ISP and check prices and
availability of newsgroups. I switched to cable because of
poor phone lines here, and what a difference! But it costs more.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

'Bother,' said Pooh, as he took aim
from behind the grassy knoll.

Gerald Ross

Ask your friends what ISP they use and ask at a local
computer store (where they repair and build computers,
usually locally owned) what ISPs they use and know of in
your area. Then call the ISP and check prices and
availability of newsgroups. I switched to cable because of
poor phone lines here, and what a difference! But it costs more.

BTW I have used Mozilla for a couple of years and love it.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

'Bother,' said Pooh, as he took aim
from behind the grassy knoll.

Phil Axtell

wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your recommendation. I am now on News.individual.net. So
far it seems a little awkward, but I'll get used to it. At least they
are not shutting me off.

Phil Axtell
Bill Day

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your recommendation. I am now on News.individual.net. So
far it seems a little awkward, but I'll get used to it. At least they
are not shutting me off.

Phil Axtell

wow...that was fast! It took me 2 weeks!
I hope it continues to go well...now it mostly just adjusting to the
newsreader interface. (some newsreaders are just easier to use than
others)

Serious IE Hole Opens PCs Up to Attacks Steve Smith Metalworking 2 November 22nd 04 09:31 PM
Bottom posting to@d UK diy 53 October 13th 04 01:24 PM
Anything happen to/with the Woodhaven site? Hoyt Weathers Woodworking 6 July 3rd 04 05:12 PM