Steve Smith

Default Serious IE Hole Opens PCs Up to Attacks

Ted, I'm running Mozilla on a 1GHz Athlon machine with 640M ram, and it
runs fine. I also run Firefox on a 1.6GHz laptop, which also runs fine.
Mozilla takes a bit longer to start. I like both.

Steve

Ted Edwards wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

I strongly suggest all of you to give Firefox a try. It rocks.
What a great
browser. And I think it'll only get better.

Is there some advantage to Firefox ove the Mozilla package which
includes the browser?

Ted

Ted Edwards

Steve Smith wrote:

Ted, I'm running Mozilla on a 1GHz Athlon machine with 640M ram, and it
runs fine. I also run Firefox on a 1.6GHz laptop, which also runs fine.
Mozilla takes a bit longer to start. I like both.

Hmmm. I'm running on 233MHz PII with 64M RAM. Mozilla takes quite a
while to load if I anything else active. Not surprising. I hope to
upgrade soon but meanwhile I think I'll give Firefox a try. Might
reduce the paging.

Thankfully I'm not running 'doze so that helps and I don't need all of
Moz. I use an old Netscape for the NGs with about everything turned off
- perfectly adequate for anything that should be in a NG. I use the
Polarbar mailer for e-mail since it has all the features I want. So Moz
is only used as browser. This may change but meanwhile ...

Ted

Ian Malcolm

Ted Edwards wrote:

Steve Smith wrote:

Ted, I'm running Mozilla on a 1GHz Athlon machine with 640M ram, and it
runs fine. I also run Firefox on a 1.6GHz laptop, which also runs fine.
Mozilla takes a bit longer to start. I like both.

Hmmm. I'm running on 233MHz PII with 64M RAM. Mozilla takes quite a
while to load if I anything else active. Not surprising. I hope to
upgrade soon but meanwhile I think I'll give Firefox a try. Might
reduce the paging.

Thankfully I'm not running 'doze so that helps and I don't need all of
Moz. I use an old Netscape for the NGs with about everything turned off
- perfectly adequate for anything that should be in a NG. I use the
Polarbar mailer for e-mail since it has all the features I want. So Moz
is only used as browser. This may change but meanwhile ...

Ted

I used to run a P200MMX, 32Mb Ram, Win95 OSR2 with Netscape Communicator
4.7 for Web and news. That was a real dog of a system and Netscape
would always crash if you were browsing the same group as it was trying
to download for offline use. At work we run a variety of low end 2nd
hand Dells ranging from PII 266 to PIII 450 and Mozilla is responsive on
all of them except the antique in the workshop which is a P133 46Mb ram
dinosaur and even on that, its perfectly usable once its got going.

Any system with 64Mb or more ram and a Pentium or better CPU with a
clock speed better than your IQ will work far better with Mozilla or
Firefox than with MS's latest IE update. You will only see MS catch up
if you throw a couple of GHz of clock speed and a couple of CDs of
security software at the problem.

The other nice thing is the extensions. Check out MultiZilla and Image
Zoom and also if not running Firefox( which has it built in), Adblock.

You can even browse Geocities sites without all the Cr@p.

P.S. Old versions of Mozilla were IMHO less stable in news, Its worth
going up to 1.7.3. The news filtering isnt as versatile as Netscape 4.7
but it seems to work rather more reliably.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.