Old April 10th 05, 01:59 PM
Wilson Lamb

If you can get a little metalwork done, a front car hub would be great.
Tell us how much weight you want to carry.
Wilson
wrote in message

I can't find anything to solve my problem because I obviously don't know
how to
explain my problem.
I want the be able to spin by hand a heavy 24" round turntable on top of
my
workbench using centrifugal force. Like the wheel on a car but horizontal.

I was going to make it out of 4 inches of MDF but I can't find a bearing
or
swivel or anything that will allow this top spin horizontally.
Lazy susans are strong and stable but don't allow a friction free spin.

I'm sure what I need is out there but I have no idea what it is, or what
it's
called.

There are all sorts of bearing to spin stuff vertically, isn't there one I
can
attach to this table that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.

Old April 10th 05, 03:14 PM
Duane Bozarth

WillR wrote:
Force is acting downward when stopped and mostly horizontal when rotating.

The gravity load doesn't behave any different whether it's spinning or
not...

To OP, what you're application calls for is a "thrust bearing". Lazy
susans or rotating TV, etc., stands are commercially available for 100+
lbs. The large under-counter one Dad and I built for Mom some 30 years
ago now, used the thrust bearings from a small disc--3/4" shaft
available from a good farm implement supply. What their actual load
rating is I'm not sure, but it would easily hold 250-300 lb, I'm sure.
Old April 10th 05, 03:44 PM
CW

1000 pounds and ball bearings.

"WillR" wrote in message

I checked Lee Valley. Load capacity 100 lbs. on the largest Lazy Susan.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...50,43298,43316

They use roller bearings. Since I was going to suggest this was a roller
bearing application anyway it seems like a good fit... If these are high
quality they should be low friction. Maybe they would work...

Force is acting downward when stopped and mostly horizontal when rotating.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Weather-proof "lazy susan" type bearing race... RainLover Metalworking 24 October 8th 17 03:18 PM
Trouble with lazy susan Niranjan Rao Home Repair 4 March 23rd 05 02:49 AM
pulling a stuck ball bearing Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 December 20th 04 05:01 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
lazy susan Chuck Woodturning 0 January 12th 04 12:24 AM