Robert Bonomi

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:00:18 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

I want to be able to spin 100 pounds items on a 24" wide turntable that
will spin freely as long as possible.

Are these items symmetric or asymmetric? Balanced or unbalanced?

Yes.

How many
RPM do you want?

As many as humanly possible.

Is most of the mass distributed in the center, around the
rim, uniformly, or what?

Both.

Will there be any lateral force applied to the
object, if so how much lateral force?

As much as you could apply with a stiff paint brush or rubber spatula.

How long do you need to spin the
object?

Until I'm finished. The fewer times I have to spin it up the better.

Is there an objection to powering it this device?

Cost. I need this to spin 10-20 minutes once a day 4 days a week.

Is there any
possibility that the object being spun will shift during operation?

No.

As I have stated, a wheel hub assembly off a motor vehicle or utility trailer
would probably be perfect.
Getting a suitable one has proven to be a problem.
Not being a welder it's also expensive.
I didn't expect or ask anyone to design anything.
I was hoping there might be a bearing assembly 'off the shelf' that might do
this. Like bearing assemblies for making your own grinders and sanding machines
only one that supports a horizontal disk.
If the product doesn't exist I'm back to finding a suitable wheel and hub off a
motor vehicle.

Have you considered the swivel mechanism from a _chair_?? or a piano stool?

I just got a catalog from Van Dykes Restorers (www.vandykes.com)

They've got chair assemblies rated for several hundred pounds.