Wilson Lamb

Now I remember. Get a weld on stub axle and hub from Northern Hydraulics.
Have the axle welded in the center of a 1/4" plate of whatever size you
want. Cut off the axle to pit the hub as low as possible, before welding .
Or drill the plate to let the axle go through and then weld at the
appropriate height. Drill another plate, or maybe your wood, to bolt up
where the wheel would ordinarily go. I think you can find a hub with no
studs in it or maybe press the studs out of one that comes with studs. Then
you can use long bolts to hold the wheel on the hub.
The weak point of all this is that the normal hub diameter is relatively
small conpared to the table width, so the table must be pretty rigid. Come
to think of it, you could use a regular rim as the base of your table, if
that doesn't put you too far above the bench. Four little J bolts could
hold a plywood table to the top of the rim. You could fill the rim with
shot to raise its inertia.
Wilson
wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:08:08 -0700, Larry Jaques

wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:10:28 -0700, the inscrutable
spake:

I can't find anything to solve my problem because I obviously don't know
how to
explain my problem.
I want the be able to spin by hand a heavy 24" round turntable on top of
my
workbench using centrifugal force. Like the wheel on a car but
horizontal.

Give us more info. What are you making? Will any forces be at work,
such as a cutting tool or shaping forces from the side? What weight
will be on the table? How much external force will be applied?

Very little side force. The table itself will be the heavy part because I
want
to use the weight to keep it spinning.

I was going to make it out of 4 inches of MDF but I can't find a bearing
or
swivel or anything that will allow this top spin horizontally.
Lazy susans are strong and stable but don't allow a friction free spin.

Hmm, lazy susans don't don't much force to spin, even with 200# on
'em.

For a close-to-friction-free unit, mount a cut-off truck axle (with
bearing and wheel) to a metal frame and put an MDF (or real wood) top
on it.

I tried to go this route.
Auto wreckers won't do it and they want a minimum of $250 for the hub off
anything.
I can buy an entire utility trailer kit for less.
But I was hoping to find a nice floor flange (like on single pedestal
table) and
a center bearing that might work.