Default Circular saw to replace burnt table saw motor?

Last night my ~$100 Delta table saw worm gear gave up the ghost. (It
was a gift from a neighbor)

I used the saw for straight up cuts only (no bevels) with the blade
fully extended. The saw has no vertical adjustment but it will bevel.

(Previous to the Delta, I used a home-made adaptor for a Skil saw that
made an acceptable 'table saw'. 2 thumbscrews and it was on/off the
table. It was very portable and I hung it flat on my wall.)

I do NOT need a pro saw or dado ability.

My idea:

1 I am thinking of a used worm/hypoid gear circular saw as the
replacement 'motor'. At 13 Amps is is almost 2hp and the bearings and
the gears are pretty rugged.

2 I would remove the blade guard and I would mount my 10" blade on
the 7-1/4" saw under the table with the blade fully extended.

Anyone ever try this?

BoyntonStu

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
1 I am thinking of a used worm/hypoid gear circular saw as the
replacement 'motor'. At 13 Amps is is almost 2hp and the bearings and
the gears are pretty rugged.

2 I would remove the blade guard and I would mount my 10" blade on
the 7-1/4" saw under the table with the blade fully extended.

Most anything can be made to work, but it can also have the potential for a
disaster if done wrong. You can buy a used saw for about $100. I see
Craftsman saws in the paper all the time for that price.

Jim

Actually, my first table saw was an old circular saw mounted in a home
made table. I didn't think anyone else was goofy enough to try it. G
It really sucked to use, but it did work. Considering the cost of the
cheap, benchtop tablesaws, I would go out & get one of them. I think
they'd do a better, safer job. Keep the circular saw for tougher,
bigger stuff & you can rip it out by hand.

Jim

Jim,

I will take a photo of the homemade table saw in the near future.
Actually it works very well and the fence is quite accurate. I built it
out of formica covered particlebnoard that once was a kitchen cabinet.
The fence is a 24" aluminum clamp with a 3" piece of formica board
attached. It is about as accurate as the Delta. No fooling! The
'table' is a few plastic milk crates. The table top fits on top of the
the milk crate and the Skil saw beneath goes into the crate. As
portable and as light as any table saw I ever saw. I store it up on the
wall in my garage, Skil saw and fence attached.

My other 'stupid/dangerous' project is my $100 homebuilt elevator.
Googlers told me that it would not work 2 years ago. We use it every
day. The is based on a 3/4" pipe clamp as the safety brake. A HF 440
lb hoist is the power. 12 seconds and my 300 pound neighbor is up 1
flight with a smile on his face.

BoyntonStu

Greg O

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim,

My other 'stupid/dangerous' project is my $100 homebuilt elevator.
Googlers told me that it would not work 2 years ago. We use it every
day. The is based on a 3/4" pipe clamp as the safety brake. A HF 440
lb hoist is the power. 12 seconds and my 300 pound neighbor is up 1
flight with a smile on his face.

BoyntonStu

I remember your elevator project. Nobody said it would not work, they were
concerned of the liability when it kills or maims somebody!
Personally I would consider a home made elevator to lift items to the second
floor, but never people.
Greg

Sandra

My stepfather used and old Skil attached to a piece of 3/4 ply which was
mounted on an old washing machine cabinet for years as his tablesaw. He
built many a fine cabinet using that setup. The only reason it died was I
finally bought him a new Craftsman with all the bells and whisles in about
1972 just before he prematurely left us for good. And it died because I
took it out to the backyard and smacked it around with a 10lbs sledge, to
insure that it did not come back to the garage. He didn't speak to me for 2
weeks he was so damn mad, but even mad at me when my car died he picked me
up for three days to get to work and back, just refused to talk to me. He
frankly if alive would walk in my garage, look around shake his head, roll
his eyes and leave without saying a word. He built the best with half of
what I have and I will never with all I have match the quality of his work
if I live to be a 1000 years old.

4simplertimes

Woops other-half is gonna be ticked used because I used her profile by
mistake, oh well I'll make her something

4simplertimes

Woops forgot to use my account on the previous post. Otherhalf is gonna be
ticked at me, oh well

My post said, "Up one flight". It goes to the second floor. ;)

As 4simplertimes indicated, you don't need manufactured tools to get
the job done right. What is a table sawe?

Simply, a rotating blade that comes up through a slot in a table top.
All the rest is your settup ability to keep the stock moving parallel
to the blade. AAMOF I invented a table saw that used a Milwaukee
Sawzall demo saw as the cutter. It would cut steel and RR ties. Try
that on your table saw. It could also tilt in both directions. Ever
run into a situation that need that feature? I did once, and that is
why I came up with the idea. BTW You could also use a really wide
'blade' covered with sandpaper and walla a table sander. Speaking of
safety; what is safer a circular blade or a recipricating blade?
Obvious isn't it?

BoyntonStu

Greg O

wrote in message
oups.com...
My post said, "Up one flight". It goes to the second floor. ;)

One floor, two floors, whatever. I would not want to be on the wrong end of
a lawsuit involving bodily injury or death from something I created.
Hopefully you will never find out what it is like.
What do you think would happen if your 300 lb. neighbor is riding up and the
elevator has a catastrophic failure. Falls, breaks a leg, wrenches his back,
can't walk anymore. Somebody will pay, and pay dearly. If you want to take
the risk, fine.
The liability is what I have issue with, not whether it can/could be built.

Any one else see reference to a fellow that built a trolley to get up and
down the bank at his lake home? He loaded it up with people and a drive
coupling failed and lost control. I forget who all got hurt, but there were
lawsuits and counter suits. The lawyers got wealthy from it!

If you want to cobble a tablesaw together from a skill saw have at it. I
just would not let anyone else use it.
Greg

Phillip Hallam-Baker

Costco have a Black and Decker Contractor saw for $199. It is mostly
made of aluminium and there is no way that it would satisfy anyonw
looking for a unisaw but it is a heck of a lot better than any of the
tabletop saws I have seen. It has a nice big work surface.

The lightweight design would be ideal for construction work if the saw
had to be moved around a lot.

You could try your proposed botch up but if it goes wrong the ambulance
trip alone will cost you more than a properly engineered machine.

Phillip Hallam-Baker

Any one else see reference to a fellow that built a trolley to get up
and
down the bank at his lake home? He loaded it up with people and a

drive
coupling failed and lost control. I forget who all got hurt, but there

were
lawsuits and counter suits. The lawyers got wealthy from it!

That was Tom DeLay's father. It sounds as if the idiot did not test the
train out using dead weights before trying it with four people for the
first run. The tram went too fast and jumped the rails after the
jury-rigged
emergency brake failed.

DeLay and his brother sued and extorted a $250K out of court settlement
out of the coupling manufacturer - despite the fact that the death was
caused by the negligence of the designer-operator.

DeLay is now trying to introduce 'tort reform' to prohibit frivolous
lawsuits
like the one that he brought. So even if the surgeon removes the wrong
leg or testicle by mistake he is only liable for $500K no matter how
great
the harm caused.

DeLay is also facing a rack of corruption and ethics charges, he has
taken a series of illegaly funded foreign junkets, is involved in a
corrupt
campaign financing scam in Texas and was rebuked by Cheney
yesterday for threatening the federal judges whose rulings in the
Shaivo
case he disagreed with.

Glen

Sandra wrote:

My stepfather . . . SNIP He built the best with half of
what I have and I will never with all I have match the quality of his work
if I live to be a 1000 years old.

Your stepfather sounds a lot like my dad. He has had several strokes
but is relearning to walk. When I look at his work and the limited
tools he had, I wonder "How in the world . . ."

Glen

To asses risk you first must look at scale. Up a bank souns like a lot
more than 8 feet. It held a lot more than 300 pounds.

If a half-knowledgeable person could not design a safe way of lifting
300 pounds with complete safety, the world would be in a very backward
state. How were the pyramids built without Milwaukee Tools? We are
becoming a nation of timid people who need experts to tell them how to
live.

BoyntonStu

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
We are
becoming a nation of timid people who need experts to tell them how to
live.

And lawyers to tell us what NOT to do.

J. Clarke

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
We are
becoming a nation of timid people who need experts to tell them how to
live.

And lawyers to tell us what NOT to do.

We're being systematically taught that. What does one really learn in
school? To sit still and keep your mouth shut and not challenge authority
and not take a leak without first securing permission. And the sad part is
that they really think that they're creating free-thinkers.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:48:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

And lawyers to tell us what NOT to do.

We're being systematically taught that. What does one really learn in
school? To sit still and keep your mouth shut and not challenge authority
and not take a leak without first securing permission.

You need the Albanian driving test.

Two years of full-time study, including engine rebuilding. They
didn't have many drivers, but the ones they had knew their way around
mechanics. Now they have a whole population that can build anything,
just using baler twine.

J. Clarke

wrote:

And lawyers to tell us what NOT to do.

We're being systematically taught that. What does one really learn in
school? To sit still and keep your mouth shut and not challenge authority
and not take a leak without first securing permission.

You need the Albanian driving test.

Two years of full-time study, including engine rebuilding. They
didn't have many drivers, but the ones they had knew their way around
mechanics. Now they have a whole population that can build anything,
just using baler twine.

You serious? If so, that's cool--would solve a lot of our problems.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
4simplertimes

"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...
Sandra wrote:

My stepfather . . . SNIP He built the best with half of what I have
and I will never with all I have match the quality of his work if I live
to be a 1000 years old.

Your stepfather sounds a lot like my dad. He has had several strokes but
is relearning to walk. When I look at his work and the limited tools he
had, I wonder "How in the world . . ."

Glen

I trust that a higher power will see him and your family through this and he
will make a full recovery. I've watched my neighbor come back almost
completely and a few others. Yeah my stepfather was a gas, definetly old
school, wouldn't spend a dollar unless it was absolutely needed. .

George

wrote:

And lawyers to tell us what NOT to do.

We're being systematically taught that. What does one really learn in
school? To sit still and keep your mouth shut and not challenge

authority
and not take a leak without first securing permission.

You need the Albanian driving test.

Two years of full-time study, including engine rebuilding. They
didn't have many drivers, but the ones they had knew their way around
mechanics. Now they have a whole population that can build anything,
just using baler twine.

You serious? If so, that's cool--would solve a lot of our problems.

Standard Soviet Union, and presumably other Communist clone practice. No
service stations, precious few spare parts, and cash on the barrelhead and
wait for an available vehicle. Nothing new.

Used to laugh down in Cuba, where you could tell the nationality of a
Moskvich owner by the presence or lack of wiper blades. So short in the
USSR that they were constantly pilfered, and the Russians kept up the habit.
It'd start to rain in Leningrad, and traffic would stop while everybody
jumped out and put their blades on.

I'd like to know where you can find a public school where the kids will sit
still and learn the basics. Not in the USA. Not any more.

You can challenge reality if you want to appear an idiot, but it still won't
change it.

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:41:19 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

You need the Albanian driving test.

You serious? If so, that's cool--would solve a lot of our problems.

That's how it was in Enver Hoxa's day (recent BBC radio 4 programme
claimed so too)

Of course once the Wall did come down there was an immense rush to any
sort of vehicle. Albania soon gained a reputation as the _worst_
drivers in the _worst_ cars anywhere in the Western world. And I
include former Jugoslavia and Turkey.
Greg O

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are
becoming a nation of timid people who need experts to tell them how to
live.

BoyntonStu

No argument from me on that!
I see it play out that way at work most every day. I often run across some
information that an engineer designed that will not work. I correct it, and
send the info back to the engineer for his stamp before proceeding.
Not much happens without the engineer's approval.
Greg

4simplertimes

I'm not clear on why you'd need to remove the blade guard, but then
I don't see that it would serve any purpose the way you'd be
using it.

I have a circular saw and I want a table saw in addition.

Actually, your question is very useful. At first, I thought that the
blade guard would limit my ability to angle the blade. (changed my
mind when I placed my circular saw on the upside down table). It turns
out that the guard is not in the way. However, the handle interferes
with mounting and I will have to remove it. The blade guard comes off
too.

BTW I can use my existing on/off safety switch and reset button.

BoyntonStu

OOPS! I made an error. Your question about the blade guard threw me
off my original thinking.

The 7-1/4" blade guard has to be removed in order to allow room for a
10" blade.

BoyntonStu

"I might be looking to get rid of a Delta TS200 with
home-built stand (stand is 1.5" x .188" angle iron) for $60-70."

Interesting. Don't need the stand. I have a some ideas for the space
below the table. I'm in Boynton Beach, FL. You?(shipping/pickup)

BoyntonStu

Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
wrote:
...snipped...
I do NOT need a pro saw or dado ability.

My idea:

1 I am thinking of a used worm/hypoid gear circular saw as the
replacement 'motor'. At 13 Amps is is almost 2hp and the bearings and
the gears are pretty rugged.

2 I would remove the blade guard and I would mount my 10" blade on
the 7-1/4" saw under the table with the blade fully extended.

Anyone ever try this?

BoyntonStu

Why not just get another $100 bench top saw if it's all you need?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland