mcgyver

Default Use a compressor motor to power 10" table saw?

Hi, I've got a good deal on a 3 hp (220v) electric compressor motor. (runs
counterclockwise) Can i use it to upgrade my 1.5hp tablesaw motor (110v).
Any problems? how do you determine the direction of rotation? facing the
shaft...or looking from the body of the motor towards the shaft? Thanks

toller

"mcgyver" wrote in message
Hi, I've got a good deal on a 3 hp (220v) electric compressor motor. (runs
counterclockwise) Can i use it to upgrade my 1.5hp tablesaw motor
(110v).
Any problems? how do you determine the direction of rotation? facing the
shaft...or looking from the body of the motor towards the shaft? Thanks

A previous owner replaced the 1hp motor on my TS with a 2hp. I was cutting
a 45 on a large panel when the panel slammed into the motor. Since it was
physically bigger, it stuck up above the table surface when the blade was
tilted. Needless to say, it ruined my day.
I am glad for the 2hp motor, but wish I had noticed the problem before
damaging the panel.
Presumably your 3hp is bigger still; make sure it will actually fit.

The other problem is that a TS motor must be TEC. I don't think a
compressor motor is.

Leon

The other problem is that a TS motor must be TEC. I don't think a
compressor motor is.

TEC?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

The other problem is that a TS motor must be TEC. I don't think a
compressor motor is.

TEC?

Totally Enclosed. The Delta motors are not though.

Leon

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:7ySPd.7127 TEC?

Totally Enclosed. The Delta motors are not though.

I was thinking TEFC but anyway a TEC motor is not required on a TS. I think
every other one that I have seen is not, although it is a better idea to
have one that is encloded.

Lew Hodgett

Somebody asks:

Hi, I've got a good deal on a 3 hp (220v) electric compressor motor. (runs
counterclockwise) Can i use it to upgrade my 1.5hp tablesaw motor
(110v).
Any problems? how do you determine the direction of rotation? facing the
shaft...or looking from the body of the motor towards the shaft? Thanks

Forget trying to operate a 3HP motor on a 120VAC power source.

You can't get there from here.

Lew
Charlie Self

TEFC?

John Grossbohlin

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

The other problem is that a TS motor must be TEC. I don't think a
compressor motor is.

TEC?

Totally Enclosed. The Delta motors are not though.

TEFC is typically the way this is designated--Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled.
Which Delta motors are you referring to? All the Delta induction motors I've
seen were TEFC... course I've never seen everything that Delta offers!

John

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
ink.net...

Which Delta motors are you referring to? All the Delta induction motors
I've seen were TEFC... course I've never seen everything that Delta
offers!

John

The one on the back of my contractors model saw. Small vents, but still not
closed.

Greg O

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

The other problem is that a TS motor must be TEC. I don't think a
compressor motor is.

TEC?

Totally Enclosed. The Delta motors are not though.

TEFC is typically the way this is designated--Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled.
Which Delta motors are you referring to? All the Delta induction motors
I've seen were TEFC... course I've never seen everything that Delta
offers!

John

The motors on Delta's contractor saws are open, not TEFC.
I don't know when or if they changed, but my 5 year old contractors saws
motor is definitely open. I don't remember the model number of the saw, but
it is the top of the line contractors saw, not a discount store model, the
one that sells for $900 now.
Greg