golf

Default Pre-collection on dust collector

Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying
TDUP

No, a pre-collector does not catch the fine dust. You should be able to seal
your bottom bag if you have the right band for your unit. If you have a Jet
DC use the new band that has a piece of foam inside of a cloth cover. Using
just the metal band without the foam the bag is hard to seal.

"golf" wrote in message
Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

Kevin Neelley

Joe,

My pre collector catches 95% of the dust and chips. The only particles that
make it to my dust collector bag looks like really fine dust. I think I bought
the trash can venturi lid at Woodcraft.

I use the pre collector garbage can as my floor vacuum. I don't use it for
anything else, like lathe sanding or table saw dust collection.

I recently bought one of those Jet retrofit dust collectors that updated my old
Reliant dust collector. The filter bag filters 2 micron dust particles. It is
paper pleated and has so much surface area than the old cloth bag that I
actually now get more suction flow. The new collection bag holding scheme allows
the bag to easily snap in and out. I bought the kit at Amazon.com.

Kevin Neelley
http://www.turnedwood.com

In article , golf says...

Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

Dan Klima

Hi Joe!
Turning your single stage dust collector into a two stage dust collector
using the garbage can lid adapter works very well in situations where you
have a lot of chips produced (i.e. planers, jointers, etc.). It will not
collect very fine dust - that will just go straight to the dust collector
bag. I would install floor sweep fittings with blast gates near your lathes
to collect their debris after you are done turning. That's what I have
done. Your waste from the lathes will end up (for the most part) in the
garbage can separator. The real benefit here is that you will not have to
go through the pain of emptying your lower bag (or changing the plastic bag)
as often on your dust collector. That's a real benefit in my book!
Happy turning!
- Dan Klima

"golf" wrote in message
Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

mac davis

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:45:28 -0600, "Dan Klima"
wrote:

Dan.. another BIG advantage to a cyclone/garbage can is that it
"presorts" the stuff that the DC collects, which protects your DC
impeller from trying to eat sandpaper, large chips, small screws and
other stuff that you didn't mean to get near the DC port..
On a shop vac, they just bounce off the filter and drop into the
waste... On most DC's, the 1st thing on the inside of the port is the
impeller...

Hi Joe!
Turning your single stage dust collector into a two stage dust collector
using the garbage can lid adapter works very well in situations where you
have a lot of chips produced (i.e. planers, jointers, etc.). It will not
collect very fine dust - that will just go straight to the dust collector
bag. I would install floor sweep fittings with blast gates near your lathes
to collect their debris after you are done turning. That's what I have
done. Your waste from the lathes will end up (for the most part) in the
garbage can separator. The real benefit here is that you will not have to
go through the pain of emptying your lower bag (or changing the plastic bag)
as often on your dust collector. That's a real benefit in my book!
Happy turning!
- Dan Klima

"golf" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Joe C.

If your collector is leaking around the band, try this. Buy a 20" bicycle
tube, slit it lengthwise in half, keep the ring without the valve on it.
Slip this on the metal flange before putting the bag on, then put your band
clamp on. This should solve most leak problems.

Joe C.

"golf" wrote in message
Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

Art and Diane

Unfortunately, I haven't as good luck with the 2 stage setup. My
garbage can lid came from Woodcraft several years ago and fits quite
tightly on the galvanized can I got for it. The collector is a Jet in
the 1.5 to 2 hp range as I recall (it is 220v) and I wouldn't think my
pipe system is particularly efficient (the collector is in one room and
the pipes branch off in many different angles into 2 other room that
make up my shop). My problem is that dispite all this, the suction is
still great enough to suck all the chips, no matter how large, through
the can and into the lower bag on the collector. I've added an elbow to
the inside of the can (having suspected that the layout of the inlet and
outlet created a vortex that didn't allow the chips to reach the bottom
of the can), but it has not helped.
There are so many positive comments here about the setup, I figure I
must be doing something wrong, but I have no clue what it might be. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Art Learmonth

Dan Klima wrote:

Hi Joe!
Turning your single stage dust collector into a two stage dust collector
using the garbage can lid adapter works very well in situations where you
have a lot of chips produced (i.e. planers, jointers, etc.). It will not
collect very fine dust - that will just go straight to the dust collector
bag. I would install floor sweep fittings with blast gates near your lathes
to collect their debris after you are done turning. That's what I have
done. Your waste from the lathes will end up (for the most part) in the
garbage can separator. The real benefit here is that you will not have to
go through the pain of emptying your lower bag (or changing the plastic bag)
as often on your dust collector. That's a real benefit in my book!
Happy turning!
- Dan Klima

"golf" wrote in message
.. .

Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

Patriarch

Art and Diane wrote in

[...]

Taller can?

Patriarch
Derek Andrews

Art and Diane wrote:
[...]

I kind of hate to ask this, but are you sure you have it hooked up the
right way? On mine the hose from the lathe comes in on the perimeter of
the lid. The hose to the collector comes out of the center of the lid.
That really is the only reason I can think of for the setup not to work.

My set up is similar to yours. The collector is in another room and
there must be 30 feet of 4" pipe between it and the bin by the lathe. I
have the Veritas lid from Lee Valley Tools. I don't remember the rating
of the collector, but 1.5 hp wouldn't be far wrong.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

mark

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Art and Diane wrote:
[...]

I just went thru this. I needed a bigger can. My galvanized can had a
standard opening, but it was too short. I got a bigass industrial 55 gallon
garbage can, and it works better. Still some stuff gets sucked thru, but
major improvement.

Dan Klima

How very true! How I neglected to state that obvious benefit is a mystery
to me. I propose we have a government probe into that oversight! (Ha!)
Many times I have heard that tell-tale clank as a larger than life chunk of
wood managed to get sucked up into my dust collection system and landed
safely in my metal garbage can separator. Thanks Mac for reminding me and
letting others know of this benefit!
- Dan Klima

wrote:

[...]

"golf" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Art and Diane

The lid appears to be symetrical, so I don't think that's the problem I
also added an elbow on the inside of the inlet to try to break up the
cyclonic action, but the results are the same.

Art

Derek Andrews wrote:

Art and Diane wrote:

[...]

mac davis

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:28:04 -0600, "Dan Klima"
wrote:

Dan.. Saturday night a friend was in the shop learning to turn, and he
decided to use the DC to clean off the lathe... he didn't realize that
he had a shop rag laying under the rails, and in it went...
I don't know if that rag (about a foot square towel) would have messed
up the DC impeller, but I'm sure it wouldn't have helped it a lot..
(I'm really glad that it made it to the trash can.. finding and
removing it from the hoses wouldn't of been fun)

How very true! How I neglected to state that obvious benefit is a mystery
to me. I propose we have a government probe into that oversight! (Ha!)
Many times I have heard that tell-tale clank as a larger than life chunk of
wood managed to get sucked up into my dust collection system and landed
safely in my metal garbage can separator. Thanks Mac for reminding me and
letting others know of this benefit!
- Dan Klima

.. .
wrote:

[...]

"golf" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Derek Andrews

Art and Diane wrote:
The lid appears to be symetrical, so I don't think that's the problem I
also added an elbow on the inside of the inlet to try to break up the
cyclonic action, but the results are the same.

Is this the one?
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4310

What I have is this:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=30282
The hoses come in at an angle and don't have the elbow like the woodcraft.

I would think that the last thing you want to do is break up the
cyclonic action. My guess is that the Woodcraft model doesn't create
such an efficient cyclone by virtue of the elbow, symmetric positioning
of the ports and angle at which the hoses enter.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Art and Diane

No. Mine is not like the current Woodcraft model. When I added the
elbow, I was trying to more or less duplicate the elbow concept the new
model uses.
Mine is more like the LV version, but instead of having an opening in
the center, it has 2 on the outer rim. If you can imagine a 2nd opening
that is the mirror image of the outer opening. In effect, it would be
easy to connect the 2 with a short piece of hose inside the can because
they point toward each other. It's like there is so much suction, the
incoming chips flow directly from the inlet into the outlet without
dropping to the bottom of the can.

Art

Derek Andrews wrote:

Art and Diane wrote:

The lid appears to be symetrical, so I don't think that's the
problem I also added an elbow on the inside of the inlet to try to
break up the cyclonic action, but the results are the same.

Is this the one?
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4310

What I have is this:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=30282
The hoses come in at an angle and don't have the elbow like the
woodcraft.

I would think that the last thing you want to do is break up the
cyclonic action. My guess is that the Woodcraft model doesn't create
such an efficient cyclone by virtue of the elbow, symmetric
positioning of the ports and angle at which the hoses enter.

mac davis

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:11:13 GMT, Art and Diane
wrote:

I built my own, and the only difference I see from yours is the
direction of the elbows... can they be turned?

Both hoses are on the outer edge, opposite of each other... at the
time, I didn't know that one in the center was better...
My elbows are sort of parallel to the sides of the can, but pointed in
opposite directions, to make it "swirl"... you might try turning
them..