mac davis

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:28:04 -0600, "Dan Klima"
wrote:

Dan.. Saturday night a friend was in the shop learning to turn, and he
decided to use the DC to clean off the lathe... he didn't realize that
he had a shop rag laying under the rails, and in it went...
I don't know if that rag (about a foot square towel) would have messed
up the DC impeller, but I'm sure it wouldn't have helped it a lot..
(I'm really glad that it made it to the trash can.. finding and
removing it from the hoses wouldn't of been fun)

How very true! How I neglected to state that obvious benefit is a mystery
to me. I propose we have a government probe into that oversight! (Ha!)
Many times I have heard that tell-tale clank as a larger than life chunk of
wood managed to get sucked up into my dust collection system and landed
safely in my metal garbage can separator. Thanks Mac for reminding me and
letting others know of this benefit!
- Dan Klima

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:45:28 -0600, "Dan Klima"
wrote:

Dan.. another BIG advantage to a cyclone/garbage can is that it
"presorts" the stuff that the DC collects, which protects your DC
impeller from trying to eat sandpaper, large chips, small screws and
other stuff that you didn't mean to get near the DC port..
On a shop vac, they just bounce off the filter and drop into the
waste... On most DC's, the 1st thing on the inside of the port is the
impeller...

Hi Joe!
Turning your single stage dust collector into a two stage dust collector
using the garbage can lid adapter works very well in situations where you
have a lot of chips produced (i.e. planers, jointers, etc.). It will not
collect very fine dust - that will just go straight to the dust collector
bag. I would install floor sweep fittings with blast gates near your

lathes
to collect their debris after you are done turning. That's what I have
done. Your waste from the lathes will end up (for the most part) in the
garbage can separator. The real benefit here is that you will not have

go through the pain of emptying your lower bag (or changing the plastic

bag)
as often on your dust collector. That's a real benefit in my book!
Happy turning!
- Dan Klima

"golf" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing