Derek Andrews

Art and Diane wrote:
Unfortunately, I haven't as good luck with the 2 stage setup. My
garbage can lid came from Woodcraft several years ago and fits quite
tightly on the galvanized can I got for it. The collector is a Jet in
the 1.5 to 2 hp range as I recall (it is 220v) and I wouldn't think my
pipe system is particularly efficient (the collector is in one room and
the pipes branch off in many different angles into 2 other room that
make up my shop). My problem is that dispite all this, the suction is
still great enough to suck all the chips, no matter how large, through
the can and into the lower bag on the collector. I've added an elbow to
the inside of the can (having suspected that the layout of the inlet and
outlet created a vortex that didn't allow the chips to reach the bottom
of the can), but it has not helped.
There are so many positive comments here about the setup, I figure I
must be doing something wrong, but I have no clue what it might be. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

I kind of hate to ask this, but are you sure you have it hooked up the
right way? On mine the hose from the lathe comes in on the perimeter of
the lid. The hose to the collector comes out of the center of the lid.
That really is the only reason I can think of for the setup not to work.

My set up is similar to yours. The collector is in another room and
there must be 30 feet of 4" pipe between it and the bin by the lathe. I
have the Veritas lid from Lee Valley Tools. I don't remember the rating
of the collector, but 1.5 hp wouldn't be far wrong.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning