Art and Diane

Unfortunately, I haven't as good luck with the 2 stage setup. My
garbage can lid came from Woodcraft several years ago and fits quite
tightly on the galvanized can I got for it. The collector is a Jet in
the 1.5 to 2 hp range as I recall (it is 220v) and I wouldn't think my
pipe system is particularly efficient (the collector is in one room and
the pipes branch off in many different angles into 2 other room that
make up my shop). My problem is that dispite all this, the suction is
still great enough to suck all the chips, no matter how large, through
the can and into the lower bag on the collector. I've added an elbow to
the inside of the can (having suspected that the layout of the inlet and
outlet created a vortex that didn't allow the chips to reach the bottom
of the can), but it has not helped.
There are so many positive comments here about the setup, I figure I
must be doing something wrong, but I have no clue what it might be. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Art Learmonth

Dan Klima wrote:

Hi Joe!
Turning your single stage dust collector into a two stage dust collector
using the garbage can lid adapter works very well in situations where you
have a lot of chips produced (i.e. planers, jointers, etc.). It will not
collect very fine dust - that will just go straight to the dust collector
bag. I would install floor sweep fittings with blast gates near your lathes
to collect their debris after you are done turning. That's what I have
done. Your waste from the lathes will end up (for the most part) in the
garbage can separator. The real benefit here is that you will not have to
go through the pain of emptying your lower bag (or changing the plastic bag)
as often on your dust collector. That's a real benefit in my book!
Happy turning!
- Dan Klima

"golf" wrote in message
.. .

Howdy Group:

I've installed a 2 HP dust collector for my lathes. It collects
mainly fine dust, which I wanted. On the lower clear bag, I'm having
trouble getting a good seal with the band.
I noticed the dust is really well packed in the bag. Would a pre
collector (garbage can) remove a lot of the dust?
I know a pre collector does catch a lot of chips.

What are your suggestions for finishing my system?

Joe Yablonski

-- Remove par from email address for replying