Kirk

Default Poison Ivy

Last fall I cut some elm and unfortunately wound up with a poison ivy
rash. Looking at the logs it should have been obvious, I guess I was
caught up in the moment. You know how you get excited about a tree.
Anyway, the logs have been sitting for about 4 months. The poison ivy
vines are still firmly attached to the bark even though they appear to be
dry.

My question is, will this ivy still cause a reaction now that it is dry?

Kirk

AHilton

Absolutely. I had a bad case of it this summer and did some research. I
don't remember the specifics but it surprised me. I'm wanting to remember
that the oils (that's where the active stuff resides) in it can remain
"active" for several months to a year on a completely dried plant and up to
5 years in some cases and even on clothes. Double check those numbers but
it was something outrageous.

A fantastic person on this list told me about Zanfel. It's terribly
expensive and not easily found but it works wonders with ivy rash. I nearly
cried when it took away the itching/burning in 30 seconds as advertised. It
took 3 treatments over a day to finally kick it but from the first treatment
I was so much better I couldn't hardly believe it. THANK YOU to whomever it
was.

I used to be only allergic to the smoke (figure that one out!) but I got
this case from brushing up against it with a bare leg. Man, I hope this
isn't something new. I'm in this stuff all the time!

- Andrew

"Kirk" wrote in message
Last fall I cut some elm and unfortunately wound up with a poison ivy
rash. Looking at the logs it should have been obvious, I guess I was
caught up in the moment. You know how you get excited about a tree.
Anyway, the logs have been sitting for about 4 months. The poison ivy
vines are still firmly attached to the bark even though they appear to be
dry.

My question is, will this ivy still cause a reaction now that it is dry?

Kirk

Ecnerwal

In article 7XHOb.96530$I06.427219@attbi_s01,
"David Babcock" wrote:

Ditto, poison Ivy remains infectious in any state, other than ashes, but
don't be near the fire while burning

There's an understatement. Poison ivy smoke is a good way to get killed.
Burning brush or wood contaminated with poison ivy is a very bad idea.

David Babcock

As a former land manager we control burned scrub and dead wood over many
acres. We knew and expected Poison Ivy and Oak to be present in most of
those areas. We needed to inform the town, get permits, and have some
oversight before burning. All person were supplied with respirators and
chemical suits. Other precautions were taken as well. But no fatalities.

Dave

"David Babcock" wrote:

Ditto, poison Ivy remains infectious in any state, other than ashes, but
don't be near the fire while burning

There's an understatement. Poison ivy smoke is a good way to get killed.
Burning brush or wood contaminated with poison ivy is a very bad idea.

Dan Bollinger

Errh, gentlemen! Once more LDD rides to the rescue. The detergent will
dissolve and vanquish those nasty oils!

Leif, Good idea, it may work very well. I agree with vanguish, but dissolve?
I'm feel compelled to correct your chemistry. Only solvents can dissolve a
substance (note the common root word) and detergent is not a solvent. It is more
likely the detergent is saponifying the oil. Dan

Adrien

Look up URUSHIOL

It's an allergy, not an infection.

I'd think with gloves you could pull the vines off the bark, perhaps
even peel off the bark in that area. The rest of the wood would be ok.

Larry

Instead of Zanfel, try wild Jewelweed. It's a folk remedy for
stinging nettle. Supposedly Jewelweed will always be growing in the
same area as stinging nettle (though not the reverse, it often grows
alone). I have found that it works very well on all types of dermal
problems, includind contact dermatitis and poison ivy. It even takes
the ich out of mosquito bites. If you can't find some growing wild
try your local nursery and get some New Guinea Impatiens. I've found
these effective also. Just crush the succulent stems and rub the
juice on the affected area.

You wrote snipI used to be only allergic to the smoke (figure that
one out!) but I got this case from brushing up against it with a bare
leg. Man, I hope this isn't something new.snip

I hate to say it but it sure sounds like it. People can go a long time
with multiple exposures before receiving a single "sensitizing dose"
and becoming (fully) allergic. As far as I know there is no
understanding of why, all of a sudden, people go from being immune to
being allergic. You might want to be real careful around it from now
on.
Kirk

Thanks for the response. I really did think that it would be safe to
handle now, probably avoided another exposure by reading this group. I am
going to try and salvage the logs. Rubber gloves and long sleeves should
allow me to remove the bark. They should be safe to take in my shop then.

Kirk

tim collins

not only will it still give you a rash after months, but botonists
have gotten a rash from specimen of poison ivy years old.

The chemical (urushiol oil) doesn't deteriorate with time, vaporizes
with heat (so its in the smoke when burning).

It also binds very quickly to the proteins in your skin, and once
bound to the proteins doesn't wash off. According to my dermatologist
friend, you only have a few minutes after exposure to wash it off.

Exposure is usually culmulative, which means if you don't get a rash
at first, you will get one eventually, and each time it will be worse.

You do have to crush or bruise the plant to get the oil out onto your
skin, so lightly brushing up agains the leaves often doesn't result in
a rash.

tim
Leif Thorvaldson

Go to: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/cleaning.html there you will find
praise for the efficacy of LDD in conquering Poison Ivy as it conquers dry,
chapped hands, cracks in wood and hands, warping of turned items, marital
discord, etc! *G*
Leif
"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
Errh, gentlemen! Once more LDD rides to the rescue. The detergent will
dissolve and vanquish those nasty oils!

Leif, Good idea, it may work very well. I agree with vanguish, but

dissolve?
I'm feel compelled to correct your chemistry. Only solvents can dissolve a
substance (note the common root word) and detergent is not a solvent. It

is more
likely the detergent is saponifying the oil. Dan

Alan McClure

Kirk wrote:

Last fall I cut some elm and unfortunately wound up with a poison ivy
rash. Looking at the logs it should have been obvious, I guess I was
caught up in the moment. You know how you get excited about a tree.
Anyway, the logs have been sitting for about 4 months. The poison ivy
vines are still firmly attached to the bark even though they appear to be
dry.

My question is, will this ivy still cause a reaction now that it is dry?

Kirk

I'm getting in on this thread about a day late, so bear with me. As others
have said, the oil, urushiol, in the plants sap causes an allergic reaction
in
people that have become sensitized to it.

Urushiol breaks down in contact with water which is why LDD and water
is effective in making items that have been contaminated safe.

Clothing that may have been contaminated should be washed as soon as
practicable. The length of time that the urushiol stays dangerous on
clothing
that hasn't been washed depends upon the humidity of the area of storage,
which is why you see varying answers about how long items stay contaminated.

As has been stated by others, the urushiol binds with the proteins of the
skin
after which, it takes special treatment to remove it. Here's one possible
cleanser: http://www.teclabsinc.com/pro_tecnu.html

As an aside: Some people never become sensitized to urushiol and because of
this they EAT poison ivy as an herb/salad green.

Urushiol is also why we don't/can't buy casews in the shell.

As to your problem, keep yourself covered, wear gloves and boots that can be
thoroughly wash/rinsed afterward.
Hose down the vines and pull them off the logs. Keeping everything wet will
reduce the chance of getting a rash to near zero.
Prepare a place ahead of time to bury the vines to let mother nature dispose
of them for you.

In my war against the poison ivy on my property, I'm worrying it to death.
I wait for a good soaking rain then cover up all skin below my collar and go
into the woods with a machete. Every vine I see on a tree trunk or anywhere
else
gets 6 to 12 inches removed from it close to the ground.
I hose myself down, wash the rubber gloves and rubber boots, then go into the

garage, close the door and strip to my skivies. The clothing goes straight
into the
washing machine and I go straight to the shower.
After six years of this,I see very little new growth of ivy and a lot of dead
vines
on the trees. I now feel a lot safer going into the rear part of my lot now.

ARM

Silvan

Alan McClure wrote:

As an aside: Some people never become sensitized to urushiol and because
of this they EAT poison ivy as an herb/salad green.

Is that really true? I think such people are nuts if it is.

I've always wondered whether or not I'm allergic to poison ivy. I've been
in woods and gardens as long as I can remember. I'm always vigilant about
spotting and avoiding it. When I do get into it, I come home as soon as
practicable and get in the shower. I take all the precautions, and I've
never experienced a rash, but I still wonder if it's my precautions, or
some inate lack of sensitivity to the irritant.

Urushiol is also why we don't/can't buy casews in the shell.

It is, isn't it? I forgot about that. Cashews are a /Rhus/ too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Dave Balderstone

In article , Kirk
wrote:

My question is, will this ivy still cause a reaction now that it is dry?

Yes. The rash is an autoimmune reaction to compounds in the plant.

http://www.bio.umass.edu/immunology/poisoniv.htm

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Silvan wrote:

I've always wondered whether or not I'm allergic to poison ivy. I've been
in woods and gardens as long as I can remember. I'm always vigilant about
spotting and avoiding it. When I do get into it, I come home as soon as
practicable and get in the shower. I take all the precautions, and I've
never experienced a rash, but I still wonder if it's my precautions, or
some inate lack of sensitivity to the irritant.

Your precautions can help maintain "inate lack of sensitivity". Once
upon a time, I could use creosote (nasty carcinogenic preservative they
don't sell to the public anymore) with impunity, and I did. One day, I
could not. Probably just as well (it is nasty stuff) but I went from no
reaction to pretty severe reaction, without any sort of transition.

Leo Lichtman

Alan McClure wrote: (clip) As to your problem, keep yourself covered, wear
gloves and boots that can be thoroughly wash/rinsed afterward.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
I have been told that firemen, when they have to work a fire where poison
ivy or poison oak may be present, use one of the skin creams that keeps dirt
and grime out of the pores. This is the stuff which is meant to be applied
to the hands PRIOR to doing filthy work, and rinsed off afterward. I wish I
could remember one of the brand names, but memory ain't working.

Reyd Dorakeen

I wonder which LDD will work best for wood, maybe some will work better with
certain types.
in article , Leif Thorvaldson at
wrote on 1/19/04 12:30 PM:

Go to:
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/cleaning.html there you will find
praise for the efficacy of LDD in conquering Poison Ivy as it conquers dry,
chapped hands, cracks in wood and hands, warping of turned items, marital
discord, etc! *G*
Leif
"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
Errh, gentlemen! Once more LDD rides to the rescue. The detergent will
dissolve and vanquish those nasty oils!

Leif, Good idea, it may work very well. I agree with vanguish, but

dissolve?
I'm feel compelled to correct your chemistry. Only solvents can dissolve a
substance (note the common root word) and detergent is not a solvent. It

is more
likely the detergent is saponifying the oil. Dan

George

Yep. Detergent emulsifies oils better than soap, however it also rips away
body oils, which is why we use soaps for ourselves, detergents for the
inanimates.

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
From what I have read is that the main thing is that it be a detergent --
not a soap. Read some of the remedies in the URL I posted.

Alan McClure

Silvan wrote:

Alan McClure wrote:

As an aside: Some people never become sensitized to urushiol and because
of this they EAT poison ivy as an herb/salad green.

Is that really true? I think such people are nuts if it is.

I've always wondered whether or not I'm allergic to poison ivy. I've been
in woods and gardens as long as I can remember. I'm always vigilant about
spotting and avoiding it. When I do get into it, I come home as soon as
practicable and get in the shower. I take all the precautions, and I've
never experienced a rash, but I still wonder if it's my precautions, or
some inate lack of sensitivity to the irritant.

Urushiol is also why we don't/can't buy casews in the shell.

It is, isn't it? I forgot about that. Cashews are a /Rhus/ too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Michael, about seven years ago we moved into our current house and
quickly discovered that the lower/back yard was full of poison ivy.
Some vines over 1" in diameter and 30' up the trees.
Up to that time I had never, that I know of, incountered any of the poison
plants (Rhus). I spent many hours researching the subject and developing
a plan to make our living area safer. In that research I came upon the
web site of someone who used it as an edible herb. Now, for the life of
me, I can't find it. But, I do know I didn't imagine it.

OBTW Thanks for correction of my spelling of cashews.

ARM

AHilton

Easiest, perhaps. But practical? Not for anything but very very light use
and certainly not for the threads' original poster concerning moving wood
logs. Those liquid barriers, unless you go for the industrial THICK, heavy,
and movement restricting stuff which costs a fortune, isn't easy to find,
and is just plain unbearable to use for any length of time, don't last when
you're doing more than just pulling your daisies up. It's just not
practical to slather yourself (or even just your hands) every few minutes
when doing actual work.

For real work, you just have to cover up and take precautions unclothing and
washing afterwards. Looks like that's what I'll be having to do from now
on. No more rolling around in it. g

- Andrew

As I was reading this thread, I'm thinking to myself, "Haven't any of
these guys ever heard of liquid barrier products???" Leave it to the
youngest of the bunch to come up with the easiest prevention. No oils
on gloves to worry about, just wash it off and the oils go with it.

--
Chuck *#:^)

Chuck

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:41:41 GMT, Reyd Dorakeen wrote:

maybe some prevention?
the lee valley liquid glove stuff claims to be protect you from lots of
nastyness, I seem to remeber poison ivy being one of them. I think it makes
it stay on the outside of your skin for easier washing off.

As I was reading this thread, I'm thinking to myself, "Haven't any of
these guys ever heard of liquid barrier products???" Leave it to the
youngest of the bunch to come up with the easiest prevention. No oils
on gloves to worry about, just wash it off and the oils go with it.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

AHilton

I speak from experience (field medical, laboratory, and lumber-jacking) and
not theoretics or product labeling. It doesn't stand up.

- Andrew

The products are _made_ for "real work" (protects against concrete
burns for instance) and are available from outdoor and construction
suppliers. While not as readily available as say...a pair of gloves,
if you know your property has poison ivy on it, for instance, or if
you're going to be handling wood that you're allergic to or whatever,
you would likely purchase a bottle of it.

--
Chuck *#:^)

Chuck

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:15:22 -0600, "AHilton"
wrote:

For real work, you just have to cover up and take precautions unclothing and
washing afterwards. Looks like that's what I'll be having to do from now
on. No more rolling around in it. g

First, I've never used the stuff. However, in my archaeology days I
did a lot of research into the products and their capabilities, mainly
because of an area I was potentially going to be working in.

According to information from the manufacturer, "Liquid Gloves" and
the like form a sweat-resistant and abrasion-resistant barrier, on a
porous level, rather than something like Anchor Seal, which is easily
peeled off.

The products are _made_ for "real work" (protects against concrete
burns for instance) and are available from outdoor and construction
suppliers. While not as readily available as say...a pair of gloves,
if you know your property has poison ivy on it, for instance, or if
you're going to be handling wood that you're allergic to or whatever,
you would likely purchase a bottle of it.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Robin Lee

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Alan McClure wrote: (clip) As to your problem, keep yourself covered, wear
gloves and boots that can be thoroughly wash/rinsed afterward.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
I have been told that firemen, when they have to work a fire where poison
ivy or poison oak may be present, use one of the skin creams that keeps

dirt
and grime out of the pores. This is the stuff which is meant to be

applied
to the hands PRIOR to doing filthy work, and rinsed off afterward. I wish

could remember one of the brand names, but memory ain't working.

Hi -

Generic term is "barrier cream" - should be available at industrial supply
houses. One brand is "Gloves in a bottle"....

For poison ivy - "Roundup" works well, and can be used selectively (and is
not harmful). An effective way to use products like this is to wear a rubber
glove, put a cotton glove on top of than, and wet it with "round-up"....
touch or squeeze the plants you want to kill, without worrying about
overspray from a bottle....

Cheers -

Rob

Dan Bollinger

As an aside: Some people never become sensitized to urushiol and because
of this they EAT poison ivy as an herb/salad green.

Is that really true? I think such people are nuts if it is.

Our cows liked to munch on poison ivy.

Alan McClure

Robin Lee wrote:
Hi -

Generic term is "barrier cream" - should be available at industrial supply
houses. One brand is "Gloves in a bottle"....

For poison ivy - "Roundup" works well, and can be used selectively (and is
not harmful). An effective way to use products like this is to wear a rubber
glove, put a cotton glove on top of than, and wet it with "round-up"....
touch or squeeze the plants you want to kill, without worrying about
overspray from a bottle....

Cheers -

Rob

Wow! The touch of death! I like that. Thanks for the tip, Robin.

ARM

Owen Lowe

In article KWRPb.125561$na.129455@attbi_s04,
"Dan Bollinger" wrote:

As an aside: Some people never become sensitized to urushiol and because
of this they EAT poison ivy as an herb/salad green.

Is that really true? I think such people are nuts if it is.

Our cows liked to munch on poison ivy.

So...

People who eat poison ivy are nuts; Dan's cows like to eat poison ivy;
therefore, Dan's cows are nuts. Ergo, the source of Mad Cow, no?

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____
Owen Lowe

"Dan Bollinger" wrote:

Our cows liked to munch on poison ivy.

Another thought...

Various dogs who've shared their companionship with me over the years
would, at times, eat their own poop. Doesn't mean it's something advised
for humans - well, there was that character in "Hairspray".

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____
Bill Machin

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that there is a product on the
market designed specifically to protect us from the ravages of rhus
dermatitis. "Ivy Block" is FDA approved (which I believe means that
it does the job at some level). I think that it binds with the oils
that cause the rash, rather than just being a barrier cream.

I seem to remember reading a few years ago (before the product came to
market) that the Forest Service tested it on fire fighters with
positive results.

I've used it, but come up short of endorsing it because I still do all
I can to avoid contact with the plant.

My two cents worth. Might be worth trying.

Bill

Leif Thorvaldson

Yeah, Owen. "Flamingos"saved me away from a potential hobby of coprophagy!
*YUCK*

Leif
"Tony Manella" ndd1atprolog.net wrote in message
Do you mean Divine in Pink Flamingos? Grossed me the heck out

news
"Dan Bollinger" wrote:

Our cows liked to munch on poison ivy.

Another thought...

Various dogs who've shared their companionship with me over the years
would, at times, eat their own poop. Doesn't mean it's something advised
for humans - well, there was that character in "Hairspray".

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

Yeah, Owen. "Flamingos"saved me away from a potential hobby of coprophagy!
*YUCK*

Yeah, Tony, it was Devine - thanks.

And Leif, you got that right. Just makes me feel all ooogie just
thinking about it.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____
Kevin & Theresa Miller

Dan Bollinger wrote:
As an aside: Some people never become sensitized to urushiol and because

of this they EAT poison ivy as an herb/salad green.

Is that really true? I think such people are nuts if it is.

Our cows liked to munch on poison ivy.

In college I had a friend that told the story of a guy he knew that made a
poison ivy salad. His thinking was he would build up his immune system. Didn't
work. Didn't kill him, but he apparently was sicker than a dog for bit...

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska