Victor Radin

Default Poison Ivy

In article ,
says...

My question is, will this ivy still cause a reaction now that it is dry?

Kirk

Yes. I've seen kids handle dead dry, vines thinking they were safe and
wind up with severe rashes. The volatile oil (sorry- forgot the name of
it) can still be active for months after being dead & dried. Wearing
double latex or rubber gloves should protect your hands from a re-
infection. Wear a respirator- you DO NOT want to breath any of the oil
into your lungs, and above all- DO NOT BURN THE VINES!!!!! The oils can
be carried by the steam into your lungs.

As much as I like elm, I'd be tempted to dump the stuff and call it a
loss. Although there may be someone here who knows how to neutralize the
oil... wouldn't surprise me.

/vic