Alan McClure

Default Poison Ivy

Silvan wrote:

Alan McClure wrote:

As an aside: Some people never become sensitized to urushiol and because
of this they EAT poison ivy as an herb/salad green.

Is that really true? I think such people are nuts if it is.

I've always wondered whether or not I'm allergic to poison ivy. I've been
in woods and gardens as long as I can remember. I'm always vigilant about
spotting and avoiding it. When I do get into it, I come home as soon as
practicable and get in the shower. I take all the precautions, and I've
never experienced a rash, but I still wonder if it's my precautions, or
some inate lack of sensitivity to the irritant.

Urushiol is also why we don't/can't buy casews in the shell.

It is, isn't it? I forgot about that. Cashews are a /Rhus/ too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Michael, about seven years ago we moved into our current house and
quickly discovered that the lower/back yard was full of poison ivy.
Some vines over 1" in diameter and 30' up the trees.
Up to that time I had never, that I know of, incountered any of the poison
plants (Rhus). I spent many hours researching the subject and developing
a plan to make our living area safer. In that research I came upon the
web site of someone who used it as an edible herb. Now, for the life of
me, I can't find it. But, I do know I didn't imagine it.

OBTW Thanks for correction of my spelling of cashews.

ARM