Denis Marier

Default Chain Saw durability

Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

Lewis Dodd

Look at Echo. Also look at how long a company keeps parts for old models!

I personally don't like Sears, and McCullough.

Stihls used to be very good saws, long lasting but they started making
several lines a few years back......????

Regards,
Lewis

--
The price of gas in Texas has gone so high that women who want to run over

their husbands have started carpooling.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it

read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or

continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan

Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement

soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

Ken Bullock

Denis, I think that if they have to tell you how durable they are, then they
have a problem.... I don't know sears, but, I burnt out 2 polins in one
week. I got them at Canadian tire and after buring the first one out in one
day, I took it back and bitched to the manager, He credited me the cost of
the first one against the purchace of the best one in the store.... ANYHOW,
a couple of days later, it went in the dumpster and I went back to the
Huskyvarna store for a thousand dollar saw, it is still running three years
later with no repairs other then several chains and couple of bars....

The stylles are good, but, I put my money on Huskies.....

--
Ken & Debbie Bullock (Woodturners)

Woodturning videos at:
http://www.oneofakindwoodturnings.com
SKP # 82323

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it

read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or

continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan

Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement

soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

Jim Pugh

Hi Denis,
I can't speak about the durability rating of the other saws but I have
used the heck out of my Stihl and it still runs like a champ.

Jim

Denis Marier wrote:

Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

Gerald Ross

You won't regret buying a Husky. Get at least a 17 inch bar, you never
know when fortune may smile on you with a 20 inch tree. I went through 3
cheaper saws before I saw the light.
There is nothing like fiddling with a balky engine trying to get it
going to ruin your day.

Denis Marier wrote:

Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
It is bad luck to be superstitious.

Grandpa

I'll second the Husqvarna. I've got the Rancher 55 (18" & 53cc) and
would recommend it to any and all. Mine starts easily, cuts thru wood
like a knife thru butter and hell, its just plain GREAT. BTW, Sears
sells them as does Lowes - hmmmmm, low price guarantee!!! Got mine for
$286 incl tax in a price war between the 2 places that way. I'll only
use mine in the fall for firewood but having had a 12" POS (piece of
SH*T) at one time, I opted for the best. FWIW, I think the Craftsman
saws are made by Poulon. This is one area where quality should not be
compromised. When you're far from the casa wanting to cut wood the last
thing you need is a saw that has an attitude.

Denis Marier wrote:

Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

Leo Lichtman

I would still be interested to know what "Durability 50 hours period" means.
One interpretation would mean that it would be quite easy to wear it out in
a year. The other means that you can pull the trigger on and run full
throttle until it is out of gas--stop and fill 'er up, and go tankful after
tankful like that for a total of 50 hours before giving the saw a rest.
That's two days around the clock. No one in his right mind would run a saw
like that.

Jeff Jilg

Sorry, I don't know what durability is either.

But I've got a Poulan 16" and have used the heck out of it. Wore out one
chain and am on the second. Probably have 100+ hours on it over an 18 month
period....could even be 200 hours. I do a lot of chainsawing. The saw is
ok, but I have been hoping it would poop out. It will get replaced with one
of the big names like Husky, Stihl, or Echo. For the money, the Poulan I
got has really done the job.

Make sure to add bar oil every time you fill the gas tank. I also do a
minor cleaning about every 4 hours including the air filter; and a major
cleaning about every 20 hours.

Jeff Jilg
Austin, Tx.

Kip055

On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement soon
after may not be the best of investment.

I own a Stihl, have no business interest in the company or any of their agents.
Buy one. You will like it!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
AHilton

Perhaps it means 50 hours until recommended servicing? A thorough internal
cleaning, overhaul, or something similar? I've never heard of such a thing
regarding a chainsaw and my family has been logging since the 30's from
Idaho to Missouri.

We primarily use Stihl saws for our small logging operation and have liked
them fairly well. For the bigger ones, we get those custom made and
serviced.

As far as nobody (in their right mind is debatable bg) running a saw for
50 hours at a time .... well, it happens. g Did it a few months ago when
the tornados ran through here (southwestern Missouri). The saws would get
an occasional hour break or so but pretty much ran for 3 days straight with
2 crews and then a few weeks straight of 10 hour days. Now, it's gotten
down to normal work which is a few days a week for 8 to 10 hours at a time.
50 hours durability? HA! That wouldn't last us till lunchtime. g Surely,
it HAS to mean something different.

Get a good chainsaw but it's very easy to go too big or too small. Just
don't go cheap or it'll bite you (pun intended).

- Andrew

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
I would still be interested to know what "Durability 50 hours period"

means.
One interpretation would mean that it would be quite easy to wear it out

in
a year. The other means that you can pull the trigger on and run full
throttle until it is out of gas--stop and fill 'er up, and go tankful

after
tankful like that for a total of 50 hours before giving the saw a rest.
That's two days around the clock. No one in his right mind would run a

saw
like that.

Derek Hartzell

I have had both a Husky 266 and a Stihl 036. Both great professional saws.
Get a long bar, so you can cut up big blocks when needed. A 28" is nice in
my opinion and it is only a little nose heavy with my Stihl powerhead.

Derek

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it

read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or

continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan

Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement

soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

Kevin & Theresa Miller

Jim Pugh wrote:
Hi Denis,
I can't speak about the durability rating of the other saws but I have
used the heck out of my Stihl and it still runs like a champ.

Lucky you. I bought mine in '76 and in the last couple of years the pull
starter has begun to give me fits now and then. Hate it when that happens. I
mean, it's not even 30 years old yet!

But I'm making do...

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska

william_b_noble

if you do a search you'll find my posting with respect to sears/poulon
Electric chain saws and my reliability/durability problems with them - after
destroying 6 to 10 saws, with the best lasting about 15 minutes of cutting
time and the worst less than 3 seconds (in each case the same gear failed -
design problem), I gave up and bought an electric Sthil for about 10X the
price - I'm much happier - it doesn't break and it cuts nicely. The cheaper
saws just will not tolerate cutting full bar length, particularly ripping.
Gas saws may be different, but I think my experience may serve as a warning.
In my case, I returned each of the bad saws under warranty (generally the
same day) until I gave up and got my money back - don't know if the gas saws
have a similar returnability.

Denis Marier wrote:

[...]

Jon Endres, PE

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it

read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or

continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan

Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement

soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

I have two Stihls, an 025 with both 16" and 18" bars, and an 066 which
currently has a 28" bar on it. I have had the smaller one, the 025 (now
marketed as an MS250) for about four years, never had a problem with it,
probably have close to five hundred hours on it. I have several chains for
each bar, swap out sharp chains when the old ones need pro sharpening,
otherwise I use a file guide and do it by hand.

The 066 has been seeing work cutting some big trees lately, and removing
stumps at ground level. I am clearing about an acre of heavy woods for a
new house, and both saws are being run quite a bit. The big saw was bought
for a LOGOSOL chainsaw lumber mill, but it's gotten a lot more use lately
with a regular bar and chain, and not the rip chain. It's way too big a saw
to use for anything but falling and bucking big stuff though.

I like the Stihl 025 so much that I bought my dad one for Father's Day this
past year, to replace an old Homelite Super XL that he's had since the late
60's. The old Homelite still runs good, but the newer Homelites (are they
out of business?) don't last too long, I guess. I bought it specifically
for the safety chain brake.

I'd suggest a Stihl 025 or 029 (the Farm Boss) or the equivalent Husqvarna
(the 55 Rancher). I'd say you can't go wrong with either brand. I need to
get a slightly bigger saw myself as I will be cutting 12-15 cords of wood a
year for a new outdoor wood furnace to heat my house, and I will most likely
go with a Stihl 036 or 039. The Poulan and Craftsman saws are bad
investments, especially for a beginner. You need to buy from a reputable
dealer and the service you get, and longevity of the saw are worth the extra
cost. Also you should look at Echo, Jonsered and even Makita (made by
Dolmar of Germany).

Jon E

Chuck

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 02:16:37 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

I would still be interested to know what "Durability 50 hours period" means.
One interpretation would mean that it would be quite easy to wear it out in
a year. The other means that you can pull the trigger on and run full
throttle until it is out of gas--stop and fill 'er up, and go tankful after
tankful like that for a total of 50 hours before giving the saw a rest.
That's two days around the clock. No one in his right mind would run a saw
like that.

Leo,

My guess would be the useable lifetime of the thing is 50 hrs. I was
looking at saws at WalMart the other day, and saw a Poulon and some
other brand whose name escapes me at the moment, both of which had
little signs on them (from the manufacturer) that said, and I quote,
"For occasional use only."

I asked a saleswoman who was standing there if that was one of the
selling points...

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Ghodges2

I have a Husqvarna, my advice on buying a chainsaw is like buying a lathe. If
you are going to use it a lot, buy the best you can afford. It will save you
money and a lot of cuss words in the long run.
Glenn
Nashville, GA
Tony Manella

Hi Denis,
Like everyone says, if you spend $400 to $600 on a chainsaw you will be
happy for a long time. I am way to cheap to spend that much money on
something I only use once a month, so I opted for a 18" Poulan from the
local home depot. I don't remember seeing any label about durability but
the saw has done well for me. I've had it about 8 months now and found it
to be reliable and it does what I need it to do, cut wood. It has started
right up every time and does a good job of cutting. Someday I will be able
to afford a Stihl, but until then this saw should do what I need.
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it

read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or

continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan

Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement

soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

ERich10983

Someday I will be able
to afford a Stihl, but until then this saw should do what I need.

I just looked it up. I bought a used Stihl 26 years ago. Just finished using
it again today. I've run hundreds of cords past this thing. Total repairs are
probably around $100.

Earle Rich
Satisfied in Mont Vernon, NH
Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Tony Manella" wrote:

Hi Denis,
Like everyone says, if you spend $400 to $600 on a chainsaw you will be
happy for a long time. I am way to cheap to spend that much money on
something I only use once a month

But you can get a Stihl (MS290) for only $300, or could last year,
anyway. The $600 pro saws were a bit much for my blood for what I do,
while the low-end saws are a lot too low end for me to waste time on.
I've gotten tired of wasting the forst $100 on a tool that I should have
spent $300 on so it ends up costing $400 or $500 by the time I get it
right (buying the second or third one). DWYL. My dad is as happy as a
clam with his Craftsman.

I was upgrading from a Homelite XL, which actually gave pretty good
service and happened to be free (my MIL moved into a condo and was
getting rid of it). I would not have bought the thing (tiny), but it did
very well considering the uses I put it to - better than I expected when
my wife brought it home. However, I would have saved myself some time
and effort by getting the Stihl earlier and relegating the Homelite to
limbing, etc. sooner.

Tony Manella

Like I said, had I wanted to spend that much on something that gets limited
use I would have waited and saved. At $130 the Poulan was significantly
cheaper and I haven't spent a dime on it since. I only use it once a month
or so. If I was using one every week I would definitely spend the extra for
a Stihl. This is a hobby for me so every tool doesn't have to be "The
Best". If that were the case I wouldn't have a lathe yet, I'd still be
saving for that 96" Nichol's. ;-)
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tony Manella" wrote:

[...]

Denis Marier

I wish to thanks everyone that contributed to this thread. I appreciate the
information.
Denis
Rothesay, New Brunswick
"Tony Manella" wrote in message
Like I said, had I wanted to spend that much on something that gets

limited
use I would have waited and saved. At $130 the Poulan was significantly
cheaper and I haven't spent a dime on it since. I only use it once a

month
or so. If I was using one every week I would definitely spend the extra

for
a Stihl. This is a hobby for me so every tool doesn't have to be "The
Best". If that were the case I wouldn't have a lathe yet, I'd still be
saving for that 96" Nichol's. ;-)
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tony Manella" wrote:

[...]

Devan

Just a final thought about chain saw durability.

Today I removed 3 trees that were making it difficult to get my new
motorhome into the driveway to the barn. Height of the trees was 40',
35' and maybe 25'. Total sawing time was less than 1 hour to fell the
trees, cut off branches, and buck the useable firewood.

So, for the average homeowner that probably has less than 20 trees on
his property a durability of 50 hours is way more than he will ever need
in a lifetime.

I bought a Stihl when I was heating with wood and was doing a fair
amount of sawing, it has performed well for almost 20 years. We
replaced our wood stove with a gas model a few years ago so the Stihl
hasn't seen much service recently, but it started on the third pull and
ran strong for the little time I needed it today.

Fresh gas in a 2 stroke is more inportant than with a 4 stroke, if the
saw sits for a few months and you have starting problems or lack of
power replace the gas in the tank and the can of premix and you will
probably cure the problem.

Denis Marier wrote:

[...]

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message

In article ,
"Tony Manella" wrote:

[...]

Jim M

People will talk about the cost of a chainsaw and debate the amount of use
it will get. They will argue that they only want a saw for once in a while,
so why spend over $200. For intermittent use, that saw may hold up fine over
the years. If they want a saw that would definitely hold up, then they can
go to a consumer saw made by the pro companies for $250 - $350. It will
perform marginally better, but will be easier to maintain and have less
failures overall. Then if they want a saw to really perform, they should go
to a pro saw $500 - $1000 pending type and size.

I had a Stihl saw, 026 or something like that. A great saw for the cost.
Worked every time and was a tough saw.

However, what people often overlook is the effect on the human body while
using the saws in question.

A while back a friend of mine and I were cutting some curly maple. He was
using his pro version Husky, and I was using my Stil consumer version. I was
doing pretty good, but by the end of the day he had cut 4x the amount of
wood that I had. And he wasn't worn all out like I was.
A day later I traded that saw in on a pro Husky with a 26" bar. The next
session out, I was able to keep pace. Cutting was effortless as the saw did
the cutting and didn't need any urging on from the user. I wasn't worn out
at the end of the day either. For the sake of the productivity and the saves
on the aches and pains on the back at the end of the day - can I justify the
extra $400? Sure can. Imagine what a doctor visit would be like after a back
problem could cost. Or the fact that you might hurt your back and have to
take a day or two off just to rest and recover. So sure, that lil extra is
easily justified.

My two cents.
--Jim

Ali T. Borahan

I can't speak to the durability issue, however, I do have some other advice:
If you're going to be buying a chainsaw, keep your eyes on ebay or the
trading post in the next few weeks. As a result of Isabel, a lot of people
in VA and NC bought chainsaws last week to clear out all the fallen trees.
Well, after this one-time use, I believe that a lot of them will be looking
to rid themselves of a tool they'll probably never again use. I'm keeping my
eyes open! I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of steals!
--
Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts

"Ghodges2" wrote in message
I have a Husqvarna, my advice on buying a chainsaw is like buying a lathe.

If
you are going to use it a lot, buy the best you can afford. It will save

you
money and a lot of cuss words in the long run.
Glenn
Nashville, GA

WynnD

If you do go with a Poulan (Ihave had them and they serve me well) Buy
the orange color one. Not the purple or yellow. The Orange have chrome
plated cylinders and wear much longer besides they are a bit more
rugged (heavier?)..Darryl
Denis Marier

Darryl, I have noticed that Sears advertised their Saw made by Poulan as
42cc. Conversely,
Canadian Tire have one Poulan Silver edition listed at 40cc. Could this
means that the 42cc have the chromed cylinder plated cylinder?

m...