Jon Endres, PE

Default Chain Saw durability

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Yesterday, I was looking at Sears Craftsman chain saw. On the label it

read
42cc and durability: 50 hours period. Poulan's label also reads: 40cc and
durability 50 hours period.
Does this mean that its intended for 50 hours of use over time or

continuos
usage?
At the STIHL dealer a 16" chain saw label reads 38cc and no mention of the
durability?
The price tag of a STIHL is two to three time of a Craftsman or Poulan

Pro.
I am only a beginner and I am not going to be cutting blanks 5 days of the
week. On the other hand buying a chain saw that would need replacement

soon
after may not be the best of investment. I would benefit from comments

I have two Stihls, an 025 with both 16" and 18" bars, and an 066 which
currently has a 28" bar on it. I have had the smaller one, the 025 (now
marketed as an MS250) for about four years, never had a problem with it,
probably have close to five hundred hours on it. I have several chains for
each bar, swap out sharp chains when the old ones need pro sharpening,
otherwise I use a file guide and do it by hand.

The 066 has been seeing work cutting some big trees lately, and removing
stumps at ground level. I am clearing about an acre of heavy woods for a
new house, and both saws are being run quite a bit. The big saw was bought
for a LOGOSOL chainsaw lumber mill, but it's gotten a lot more use lately
with a regular bar and chain, and not the rip chain. It's way too big a saw
to use for anything but falling and bucking big stuff though.

I like the Stihl 025 so much that I bought my dad one for Father's Day this
past year, to replace an old Homelite Super XL that he's had since the late
60's. The old Homelite still runs good, but the newer Homelites (are they
out of business?) don't last too long, I guess. I bought it specifically
for the safety chain brake.

I'd suggest a Stihl 025 or 029 (the Farm Boss) or the equivalent Husqvarna
(the 55 Rancher). I'd say you can't go wrong with either brand. I need to
get a slightly bigger saw myself as I will be cutting 12-15 cords of wood a
year for a new outdoor wood furnace to heat my house, and I will most likely
go with a Stihl 036 or 039. The Poulan and Craftsman saws are bad
investments, especially for a beginner. You need to buy from a reputable
dealer and the service you get, and longevity of the saw are worth the extra
cost. Also you should look at Echo, Jonsered and even Makita (made by
Dolmar of Germany).

Jon E