Denis Marier

Default Chain Saw durability

I wish to thanks everyone that contributed to this thread. I appreciate the
information.
Denis
Rothesay, New Brunswick
"Tony Manella" wrote in message
Like I said, had I wanted to spend that much on something that gets

limited
use I would have waited and saved. At $130 the Poulan was significantly
cheaper and I haven't spent a dime on it since. I only use it once a

month
or so. If I was using one every week I would definitely spend the extra

for
a Stihl. This is a hobby for me so every tool doesn't have to be "The
Best". If that were the case I wouldn't have a lathe yet, I'd still be
saving for that 96" Nichol's. ;-)
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tony Manella" wrote:

Hi Denis,
Like everyone says, if you spend $400 to $600 on a chainsaw you will

be
happy for a long time. I am way to cheap to spend that much money on
something I only use once a month

But you can get a Stihl (MS290) for only $300, or could last year,
anyway. The $600 pro saws were a bit much for my blood for what I do,
while the low-end saws are a lot too low end for me to waste time on.
I've gotten tired of wasting the forst $100 on a tool that I should have
spent $300 on so it ends up costing $400 or $500 by the time I get it
right (buying the second or third one). DWYL. My dad is as happy as a
clam with his Craftsman.

I was upgrading from a Homelite XL, which actually gave pretty good
service and happened to be free (my MIL moved into a condo and was
getting rid of it). I would not have bought the thing (tiny), but it did
very well considering the uses I put it to - better than I expected when
my wife brought it home. However, I would have saved myself some time
and effort by getting the Stihl earlier and relegating the Homelite to
limbing, etc. sooner.