Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

The local Woodcraft has a $500.00 off sale on the Nova DVR XP. I asked a few
questions on a prior post but would like to get various opinions on this
lathe. The primary use would be turning of bowls, platters and vases. I
currently have a Jet Mini I would likely keep that for pens and/or for a
Beale triple buffing set up.

Anything in particular I should know about on the Nova.

Any rumors about the financial health of the parent company? When I see a
sale like this I sometimes think they are gettiung rid of them before the
company goes under or before they bring out a new model.

TIA
Russ

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In my not so humble opinion - I spent 35+ years writing software and
dealing with computers. I was the go to guy. I never got beat by the
computer. That said, anyone that wants to put a computer chip in my
lathe can do so over my dead body. I've got an older Nova 3000 (now
called the Nova 1624-44). I have never run into anything that this
lathe can't do. Way less money and I'd bet my butt you won't know the
difference. If you want to see the kind of stuff I produce go to
http://www.eskimoblueday.com. The upside, beside the savings, is that
it's going to be way more dependable over your kids, kids grandkids
lifetimes.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 9, 11:42*am, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
Anything in particular I should know about on the Nova.

Any rumors about the financial health of the parent company? When I see a
sale like this I sometimes think they are gettiung rid of them before the
company goes under or before they bring out a new model.

Woodcraft has had periodic sales on the Nova lathes, usually once a
year or so. I know nothing about the company's health or plans, but I
don't think the Woodcraft sale is anything suspicious.

I have the 1624 model and I'm quite satisfied with it except for
occasionally wishing I'd spent the money for the DVR. You did note on
the ad that you have to buy or build a stand for the DVR? I'm puzzled
why they don't include the stand that comes with the 1624.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 9, 2:21*pm, Bill wrote:
On Oct 9, 11:42*am, "Russ Stanton" wrote:

Anything in particular I should know about on the Nova.

Any rumors about the financial health of the parent company? When I see a
sale like this I sometimes think they are gettiung rid of them before the
company goes under or before they bring out a new model.

Woodcraft has had periodic sales on the Nova lathes, usually once a
year or so. I know nothing about the company's health or plans, but I
don't think the Woodcraft sale is anything suspicious.

I have the 1624 model and I'm quite satisfied with it except for
occasionally wishing I'd spent the money for the DVR. You did note on
the ad that you have to buy or build a stand for the DVR? I'm puzzled
why they don't include the stand that comes with the 1624.

Bill

Is the stand for the 1624 a good stand or should one consider building
one. I have heard both plus and minus for
being stable on large turnings(12-15").
I was going to buy a PM but this is a good price but as you noted the
stand will add another $250+
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Russ Stanton wrote:
The local Woodcraft has a $500.00 off sale on the Nova DVR XP. I asked a few
questions on a prior post but would like to get various opinions on this
lathe. The primary use would be turning of bowls, platters and vases. I
currently have a Jet Mini I would likely keep that for pens and/or for a
Beale triple buffing set up.

Anything in particular I should know about on the Nova.

Any rumors about the financial health of the parent company? When I see a
sale like this I sometimes think they are gettiung rid of them before the
company goes under or before they bring out a new model.

TIA
Russ

All I know is what I read in the paper. I do know I love my DVR XP. I
have turned several hundred bowls on it without problems. The computer
did go bonkers once, but all it took was to unplug it for 5 minutes
for a hard reboot and everything has been ok since then. I fiddled
with enough reeves drives and manual belt change speed control. I do
unplug it when not in use if there is any chance of a thunderstorm.
Just like I do my other computers.

Mine was made in New Zealand, cannot speak to the newer ones made in
China.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Lose not thy airspeed lest the ground
rise up and smite thee!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Nased on the current feedback and the previous string of posts in March I
put in an order at the local Woodcraft (Greenville SC) and should have it in
about 2weeks. I also ordered the cast iron stand and the outboard tool rest.
It would appear from pictures of the lathe that I could pivot the head and
then be able to sit on a stool while turning. If this works it will be great
since I have low back issues if I stand for too long.

Thanks for all the replies.

Russ
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Russ Stanton wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Is the stand for the 1624 a good stand or should one consider building
one. I have heard both plus and minus for
being stable on large turnings(12-15").
I was going to buy a PM but this is a good price but as you noted the
stand will add another $250+

The 1624 stand has been OK for me, but I haven't done anything large
or unbalanced. I have thought of building a plywood sand box to bolt
the legs onto. You only have to buy a stand if you get the DVR and the
stand they sell you is NOT the same one that comes with the 1624. If
you plan to get the DVR look at the Teknatool website, they have plans
for a wooden base you can build for far less than $250 (if you're
inclined to BYO)

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:35:28 -0400, Russ Stanton wrote:

Nased on the current feedback and the previous string of posts in March
I put in an order at the local Woodcraft (Greenville SC) and should have
it in about 2weeks. I also ordered the cast iron stand and the outboard
tool rest. It would appear from pictures of the lathe that I could pivot
the head and then be able to sit on a stool while turning. If this works
it will be great since I have low back issues if I stand for too long.

I was going to suggest that you get the cast iron legs - you made the
right decision. And yes, the head does swivel. But note that if you do
that with a heavy piece, especially one that's out of balance, you're
putting all the load to one side of the stand - may somewhat increase
vibration and stability. With most turning that won't be a problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I can't speak for the DVR but I've had my Nova 1624/44 since June
(having upsized from a Delta midi - very similar to your Jet) and it's
a very well built machine. Got mine from Woodturner's Supply in Utah
and it came with the extension bed and a Nova chuck for free, as well
as being on sale.

I appreciate the modular design approach which allows me to upgrade to
the DVR head should I ever want/need to.

The stock legs seem to be adequate, but I haven't really challenged
them too much yet. I wore the bearings out on my little Delta by
turning oversized/unbalanced loads. (one of the reasons I purchased
the Nova)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the DVR. Happy turning!

Kurt
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the heads up on the potential vibration issue with an out of
balance object when the headstock is pivoted. I'll be sure to be extra
careful if I need to do this for one of my projects.

Given the cast iron legs does anyone have any ideas on how to make this
assembly mobile so I can move it around in my basement workshop?

Russ
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:35:28 -0400, Russ Stanton wrote:

Nased on the current feedback and the previous string of posts in March
I put in an order at the local Woodcraft (Greenville SC) and should have
it in about 2weeks. I also ordered the cast iron stand and the outboard
tool rest. It would appear from pictures of the lathe that I could pivot
the head and then be able to sit on a stool while turning. If this works
it will be great since I have low back issues if I stand for too long.

I was going to suggest that you get the cast iron legs - you made the
right decision. And yes, the head does swivel. But note that if you do
that with a heavy piece, especially one that's out of balance, you're
putting all the load to one side of the stand - may somewhat increase
vibration and stability. With most turning that won't be a problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 10, 7:50*am, HiNRG61 wrote:

I appreciate the modular design approach which allows me to upgrade to
the DVR head should I ever want/need to.

Do you know for sure that this is an option? I've looked all over the
Teknatool website and the forum they used to have and find no mention
of them offering to sell the DVR head by itself. I would probably
spring for it if the price were at all reasonable.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:35:54 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

With the outboard stand, you should be able to pivot 180 degrees and still turn
bowls, right?

I usually just pivot 45 degrees to get where I want to be, the rails out of my
way...
The tool rest that comes with the DRV works well at 45..

news:v6mdnSjzIYyhZlLXnZ2dnUVZ_rli4p2d@pghconnect. com...
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:35:28 -0400, Russ Stanton wrote:

Nased on the current feedback and the previous string of posts in March
I put in an order at the local Woodcraft (Greenville SC) and should have
it in about 2weeks. I also ordered the cast iron stand and the outboard
tool rest. It would appear from pictures of the lathe that I could pivot
the head and then be able to sit on a stool while turning. If this works
it will be great since I have low back issues if I stand for too long.

I was going to suggest that you get the cast iron legs - you made the
right decision. And yes, the head does swivel. But note that if you do
that with a heavy piece, especially one that's out of balance, you're
putting all the load to one side of the stand - may somewhat increase
vibration and stability. With most turning that won't be a problem.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 11, 10:37*am, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article
,

*Bill wrote:
On Oct 10, 7:50*am, HiNRG61 wrote:

I appreciate the modular design approach which allows me to upgrade to
the DVR head should I ever want/need to.

Do you know for sure that this is an option? I've looked all over the
Teknatool website and the forum they used to have and find no mention
of them offering to sell the DVR head by itself. I would probably
spring for it if the price were at all reasonable.

Bill

You have to contact Tim Geist (or your national distributor)

I wasn't sure how to go about upgrading to DVR head, only that
Woodturner's Supply Catalog mentioned that option as one of the
selling points of the 1624/44.

I'm assuming that the DVR lathe and the 1624 share a common bed, banjo
and perhaps tailstock. (That would certainly streamline the
manufacturing process.) And since any part can be ordered separately
as a replacement in case of wear or breakage, then as long as either
headstock fits the bed they should be interchangeable.

Kurt
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have only done a little turning on one. I had a PM 3520A for 8
years, then got a Robust. I prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting
one. One reason is you have to extend the banjo way out for turning if
you want to go larger than 16 inches, which I seldom do as the big
bowls are a very limited market. An outboard, on the floor tool rest
mount is more stable. Also, it is what I am used to. You could still
use a McNaughton bowl coring system on it if you pivot, but the Oneway
and Woodcut would not work on it.

I prefer the variable speed of the lathes with the 3 phase converters
on them. More convenient, and I probably use the whole range of speeds
as each piece of wood is different. On the DVR you have 5 or so
preselected speeds you can program in, but have a very slow up or down
button to push if you want to vary those speeds. Never liked reeves
drives, and switching pulleys for speed changes, works, but true
variable speed is better. Once you have it you never want to go back.

Consider the Jet 16 inch lathes, 1.5 hp, 120 volt (requires a
dedicated 20 amp circuit) or the 2hp 3 phase model. I would rank both
of them above the Nova. Any motor, 1.5 hp and above should be run on
220. I don't know if the smaller Jet can be rewired or not.

I don't like the 2 ft sections of the Nova beds/ways for their lathe.
Just not as sturdy as a solid section. Also, if you get the sheet
metal stand, the bed sits down on the metal, and it is difficult to
get the shavings out without an air hose.

It is a nice lathe, but not for me.

robo hippy

*Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:51:32 -0700, robo hippy wrote:

I have only done a little turning on one. I had a PM 3520A for 8 years,
then got a Robust. I prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting one.

General lathes have headstocks that both slide and pivot.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:40:48 -0500, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:51:32 -0700, robo hippy wrote:

I have only done a little turning on one. I had a PM 3520A for 8 years,
then got a Robust. I prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting one.

General lathes have headstocks that both slide and pivot.

As do Jet...

I found that once the newness was off my 1442 VS, I never slid the headstock..
really no reason for me to..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:42:37 -0700, mac davis wrote:

I found that once the newness was off my 1442 VS, I never slid the
headstock.. really no reason for me to..

In my case, I have a very small shop and a 72 year old back :-). I find
the pivoting head saves my back when hollowing. And by sliding the head
to the end and using the outboard tool stand, I can turn an 18" bowl on a
"mini" lathe.

BTW, my lathe sits on a floor cabinet with the left end up against a
wall. Naturally that's where the outboard tool rest was mounted. I was
going to mount it on the right end instead, but found there were no holes
for the bolts. I started muttering about having to drill and tap for it
until I realized that the lathe bed is symmetric - all I had to do was
turn it around. Sometimes it takes a while for the brain to wake up :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 13, 12:23*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:42:37 -0700, mac davis wrote:
I found that once the newness was off my 1442 VS, I never slid the
headstock.. really no reason for me to..

In my case, I have a very small shop and a 72 year old back :-). *I find
the pivoting head saves my back when hollowing. *And by sliding the head
to the end and using the outboard tool stand, I can turn an 18" bowl on a
"mini" lathe.

BTW, my lathe sits on a floor cabinet with the left end up against a
wall. *Naturally that's where the outboard tool rest was mounted. *I was
going to mount it on the right end instead, but found there were no holes
for the bolts. *I started muttering about having to drill and tap for it
until I realized that the lathe bed is symmetric - all I had to do was
turn it around. *Sometimes it takes a while for the brain to wake up :-).

I'm about ready to pull the trigger as I like the fact of this
pivoting also which may help to with my back issues.
The one remaining question is the stand and the weight of this lathe.
If I build a stand out of 8/4 maple and weight it down somehow should
this be as good as the case iron
legs they sell for it. I currently have my shopsmith anchored down to
the floor using 3" screws into the concrete floor to prevent
it from wondering.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mountaintop wrote:
[...]

I have my DVR mounted on 2ft x 5ft bench with drawers and storage shelf
under. It even has swivel rollers on the legs. I have a small shop and
have to move stuff around allot. I just turn out of balance pieces slow
till they are more balanced. You won't believe how smooth the Nova is.

LB
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 15, 1:49*pm, mountaintop wrote:

I'm about ready to pull the trigger as I like the fact of this
pivoting also which may help to with my back issues.
The one remaining question is the stand and the weight of this lathe.
If I build a stand out of 8/4 maple and weight it down somehow should
this be as good as the case iron
legs they sell for it. I currently have my shopsmith anchored down to
the floor using 3" screws into the concrete floor to prevent
it from wondering.- Hide quoted text -

My Home-brew stand is made from 2x6 and 2x8 stock. With a 1-1/4 MDF
top and a sand box below. Takes a fairly un-balanced load to rock the
boat

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm about ready to pull the trigger as I like the fact of this pivoting
also which may help to with my back issues. The one remaining question
is the stand and the weight of this lathe. If I build a stand out of
8/4 maple and weight it down somehow should this be as good as the case
iron legs they sell for it.

I have both a pivoting head lathe (Poolewood) and a sliding headstock
lathe (Powermatic 3520A) and much prefer the sliding headstock feature.
The workpiece stays centered over the bed and seems a lot more stable
when roughing and turning out of balance pieces. Standing at the end of
the lathe for turning bowls and hollow forms is a real blessing for your
back, and I have a greater range of body movement when working off the end
than with the pivoting head lathe.

As for the stand, I have robust cast iron legs on the Powermatic but still
ended up adding a shelf and 350 pounds of sand. I built a sturdy wooden
stand for the Poolewood and added a bunch of weight to it. Both seem to
work equally well. If you are much of a scrounger you ought to be able to
build your own stand for next to nothing. You certainly don't need to
invest in maple. Any scrap wood will do if you make your stand massive
enough and braced well enough.