Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

Russ Stanton wrote:
The local Woodcraft has a $500.00 off sale on the Nova DVR XP. I asked a few
questions on a prior post but would like to get various opinions on this
lathe. The primary use would be turning of bowls, platters and vases. I
currently have a Jet Mini I would likely keep that for pens and/or for a
Beale triple buffing set up.

Anything in particular I should know about on the Nova.

Any rumors about the financial health of the parent company? When I see a
sale like this I sometimes think they are gettiung rid of them before the
company goes under or before they bring out a new model.

TIA
Russ

All I know is what I read in the paper. I do know I love my DVR XP. I
have turned several hundred bowls on it without problems. The computer
did go bonkers once, but all it took was to unplug it for 5 minutes
for a hard reboot and everything has been ok since then. I fiddled
with enough reeves drives and manual belt change speed control. I do
unplug it when not in use if there is any chance of a thunderstorm.
Just like I do my other computers.

Mine was made in New Zealand, cannot speak to the newer ones made in
China.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA