Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:35:54 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

With the outboard stand, you should be able to pivot 180 degrees and still turn
bowls, right?

I usually just pivot 45 degrees to get where I want to be, the rails out of my
way...
The tool rest that comes with the DRV works well at 45..

Thanks for the heads up on the potential vibration issue with an out of
balance object when the headstock is pivoted. I'll be sure to be extra
careful if I need to do this for one of my projects.

Given the cast iron legs does anyone have any ideas on how to make this
assembly mobile so I can move it around in my basement workshop?

Russ
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news:v6mdnSjzIYyhZlLXnZ2dnUVZ_rli4p2d@pghconnect. com...
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:35:28 -0400, Russ Stanton wrote:

Nased on the current feedback and the previous string of posts in March
I put in an order at the local Woodcraft (Greenville SC) and should have
it in about 2weeks. I also ordered the cast iron stand and the outboard
tool rest. It would appear from pictures of the lathe that I could pivot
the head and then be able to sit on a stool while turning. If this works
it will be great since I have low back issues if I stand for too long.

I was going to suggest that you get the cast iron legs - you made the
right decision. And yes, the head does swivel. But note that if you do
that with a heavy piece, especially one that's out of balance, you're
putting all the load to one side of the stand - may somewhat increase
vibration and stability. With most turning that won't be a problem.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing