Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mountaintop mountaintop is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

On Oct 13, 12:23*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:42:37 -0700, mac davis wrote:
I found that once the newness was off my 1442 VS, I never slid the
headstock.. really no reason for me to..

In my case, I have a very small shop and a 72 year old back :-). *I find
the pivoting head saves my back when hollowing. *And by sliding the head
to the end and using the outboard tool stand, I can turn an 18" bowl on a
"mini" lathe.

BTW, my lathe sits on a floor cabinet with the left end up against a
wall. *Naturally that's where the outboard tool rest was mounted. *I was
going to mount it on the right end instead, but found there were no holes
for the bolts. *I started muttering about having to drill and tap for it
until I realized that the lathe bed is symmetric - all I had to do was
turn it around. *Sometimes it takes a while for the brain to wake up :-).

I'm about ready to pull the trigger as I like the fact of this
pivoting also which may help to with my back issues.
The one remaining question is the stand and the weight of this lathe.
If I build a stand out of 8/4 maple and weight it down somehow should
this be as good as the case iron
legs they sell for it. I currently have my shopsmith anchored down to
the floor using 3" screws into the concrete floor to prevent
it from wondering.