Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

I have only done a little turning on one. I had a PM 3520A for 8
years, then got a Robust. I prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting
one. One reason is you have to extend the banjo way out for turning if
you want to go larger than 16 inches, which I seldom do as the big
bowls are a very limited market. An outboard, on the floor tool rest
mount is more stable. Also, it is what I am used to. You could still
use a McNaughton bowl coring system on it if you pivot, but the Oneway
and Woodcut would not work on it.

I prefer the variable speed of the lathes with the 3 phase converters
on them. More convenient, and I probably use the whole range of speeds
as each piece of wood is different. On the DVR you have 5 or so
preselected speeds you can program in, but have a very slow up or down
button to push if you want to vary those speeds. Never liked reeves
drives, and switching pulleys for speed changes, works, but true
variable speed is better. Once you have it you never want to go back.

Consider the Jet 16 inch lathes, 1.5 hp, 120 volt (requires a
dedicated 20 amp circuit) or the 2hp 3 phase model. I would rank both
of them above the Nova. Any motor, 1.5 hp and above should be run on
220. I don't know if the smaller Jet can be rewired or not.

I don't like the 2 ft sections of the Nova beds/ways for their lathe.
Just not as sturdy as a solid section. Also, if you get the sheet
metal stand, the bed sits down on the metal, and it is difficult to
get the shavings out without an air hose.

It is a nice lathe, but not for me.

robo hippy

On Oct 12, 5:40*am, HiNRG61 wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:37*am, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article
,

*Bill wrote:
On Oct 10, 7:50*am, HiNRG61 wrote:

I appreciate the modular design approach which allows me to upgrade to
the DVR head should I ever want/need to.

Do you know for sure that this is an option? I've looked all over the
Teknatool website and the forum they used to have and find no mention
of them offering to sell the DVR head by itself. I would probably
spring for it if the price were at all reasonable.

Bill

You have to contact Tim Geist (or your national distributor)

I wasn't sure how to go about upgrading to DVR head, only that
Woodturner's Supply Catalog mentioned that option as one of the
selling points of the 1624/44.

I'm assuming that the DVR lathe and the 1624 share a common bed, banjo
and perhaps tailstock. (That would certainly streamline the
manufacturing process.) And since any part can be ordered separately
as a replacement in case of wear or breakage, then as long as either
headstock fits the bed they should be interchangeable.

Kurt