Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Why Don't Lathe Manufacturers ... ?

Most scroll saws now have a small "puffer pump" and
aimable air nozzle to blow sawdust away from the cut.
Very handy.

When doing hollowing, I often bring an airhose to the lathe.
Hollow some, stop, blow out the chips and dust, hollow some
more, . . .

Would be nice to have a built in air pump, even a small one,
and a flex necked nozzle that could be set in a needed
position and stay there 'til I moved it.

so why don't lathe manufacturers . . . ?

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Old guy wrote:

How about a 1/4 flex plastic hose ductaped to the tool?

Several of reasons why not.

First, with all the turning and twisting and swinging/pivoting
of the tool(s), the damn thing would either be in the way
- or get pinched between the tool and the tool rest.

Second, duct tape leaves a sticky residue behind - which
would load up with dust and chips.

Third, would still need a hose from the compressor to
the plastic tube, a reducer to get down to 1/4", a shut
off valve and a bleeder valve (I don't think my pressure
regulator will do down to 2-4 psi. I want to PUFF the
dust and chips out of the way - not blast them all over
hell.

Maybe a little vibrating aquarium pump and a goose neck
lamp neck might work. Hmmmm - I've got one of those
pumps around here somewhere (the kid's gold fish has
been gone for a while).

But if the scroll saw folks built a small diaphram pump
into their motor drive - with hose, flexible or adjustable,
why don't lathe makers get on the ball. No adapting, no
pressure bleeders, no shut off valve, no hose from the
compressor.

Lathe makers - are you listening. This might earn you
an Innovators Award from one of the woodworking
magazines.

charlie b

patent pending, void where prohibited by law, your
mileage may vary, consult your doctor before using,
keep out of reach of children, use only when wearing
safety glasses, kevlar gloves, hearing protection,
dust mask rated for nuclear reactor containment
vessel cleaning, chest protector, mouth guard and cup.
Do not use when taking medications that specify that
you should not drive or operate machines or power tools
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlie b wrote:

Would be nice to have a built in air pump, even a small one,
and a flex necked nozzle that could be set in a needed
position and stay there 'til I moved it.

Charlie,

Psst ... keep this a secret between you & me, okay?

This is a solved problem. Machinists face the same situation every day.

Get over to J & L Industrial, Production Tool or, possibly even ENCO or
Harbor Freight and grab their flexible air nozzles that snap together,
some sort of mag base and a valve with a handle you can set & forget.

This link will get you started. It's a right angle nozzle. The left side
snaps onto a link that adds up like pop-beads back to the aforementioned
valves and so on.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Bill
--
There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare
that obscures.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0666-1, 12/31/2006
Tested on: 1/1/2007 1:56:58 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here's a better link than the one I posted a few seconds ago ...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=200-2015

What you really, really want is in the upper right hand corner.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0666-1, 12/31/2006
Tested on: 1/1/2007 2:00:07 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Here's a better link than the one I posted a few seconds ago ...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=200-2015

What you really, really want is in the upper right hand corner.

Bill

that takes care of part one.

still need a compressor or other source of compressed air.

why don't they build a small piston pump into the lathe
drive set up?

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The question is not why lathe manufacturers do not build in a small
compressor pump in the lathe body but rather, after they build in mutiple
light sources, air compressors, vaccuum chuck assemblies complete with
vaccuum pumps, extra tool rests, variable weight adjustment mechanisms, and
self regulating speed controolers, do we still have a lathe at all and can a
person get near it in the first place? I think the old addage is, "whatever
is on the lathe is not sufficient for all peoples." So why not keep them
simple and add on as the need arises? Me, I find that the break to stop the
lathe and clear the shavings is a good one and part of the design
experience. Just a few thoughts.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"charlie b" wrote in message
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Here's a better link than the one I posted a few seconds ago ...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=200-2015

What you really, really want is in the upper right hand corner.

Bill

that takes care of part one.

still need a compressor or other source of compressed air.

why don't they build a small piston pump into the lathe
drive set up?

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good response. Several other things come to mind, though.

What about cost? Every time you add a 'feature' you add cost. Would
the guy who already has a compressor want to pay for another one built
into his machine?

Also... why don't the manufacturers of air compressors build in the
nailers and air wrenches? Maybe they should build in a lathe?

Bill

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
The question is not why lathe manufacturers do not build in a small
compressor pump in the lathe body but rather, after they build in mutiple
light sources, air compressors, vaccuum chuck assemblies complete with
vaccuum pumps, extra tool rests, variable weight adjustment mechanisms, and
self regulating speed controolers, do we still have a lathe at all and can a
person get near it in the first place? I think the old addage is, "whatever
is on the lathe is not sufficient for all peoples." So why not keep them
simple and add on as the need arises? Me, I find that the break to stop the
lathe and clear the shavings is a good one and part of the design
experience. Just a few thoughts.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

The question is not why lathe manufacturers do not build in a small
compressor pump in the lathe body but rather, after they build in mutiple
light sources, air compressors, vaccuum chuck assemblies complete with
vaccuum pumps, extra tool rests, variable weight adjustment mechanisms, and
self regulating speed controolers, do we still have a lathe at all and can a
person get near it in the first place? I think the old addage is, "whatever
is on the lathe is not sufficient for all peoples." So why not keep them
simple and add on as the need arises? Me, I find that the break to stop the
lathe and clear the shavings is a good one and part of the design
experience. Just a few thoughts.

I'm not looking for a Swiss Army Pocket Knife lathe - one that comes
with everything I'd ever need for any type of turning - and work,
"sort of adequately". I'd have gone with Laguna Tools
Hyper-Super-Lathe
for that.

But come on - other than electronic variable speed, lathes haven't
changed much in the last 50 years - or more. They almost all come
with a faceplate and/or screw gizmo for bowls and plates so they know
you're going to get around to hollowing out something. And turning
involves a sharp edge against the wood - meaning - chips, shavings
and dust (OK - so the expert NEVER sands a piece because their
finishing cuts leave a shiny burnished surface behind). Most scroll
saws come with a little diaphram air pump and air hose positionable
near the cut. Hell, my Festool jig saw/sabre saw blows dust away
from the cut so I can see where the front of the blade is. Most
drill
presses now have a built in light.

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Good response. Several other things come to mind, though.

What about cost? Every time you add a 'feature' you add cost. Would
the guy who already has a compressor want to pay for another one built
into his machine?

I have a compressor. It and the dust collector have their own little
room - with insulated walls and a solid core door with weather
stripping.
They're LOUD! so they're in a sound deadening room. But I don't
want an air hose on the floor or strung through the rafters. Hell,
the dust collection ducting overhead makes putting up lights a PITA.
Eventually will plumb air lines in - if and when I settle on The Final
Shop Layout (which we all know is never Final -'til you die. Only
then does it become The Final Shop Layout)

I'm not after a 30 gallon, 140 max psi, 8 CFM compressor, or even
one of the small airbrush diaphram pumps - but something like an
aquarium pump - the little half brick sized things - and a flex hose,
with or without nozzle.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Here's a better link than the one I posted a few seconds ago ...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=200-2015

What you really, really want is in the upper right hand corner.

Thanks! Will order that one and the flex hose version to the left
IF they can take a quick disconnect. Will come in handy on the
drill press and maybe the router table as well.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It seems to me that there are some built-ins or improvements for _all
decent lathes, that are generally useful and cost acceptable over having
to add them on. ex: harder tool rests. more robust spindle locks and
threaded revolving tail centers.

I'm no engineer/CFO, but it seems like a cost effective source of
compressed air, even vacuum, could be incorporated in the high end
lathes. If you don't like Charlie's idea, you'll like mine a lot less.
Why not machine the bottom of the bed casting (near the headstock at
least) so that the banjo and toolrest could be 'underslung' for some
distance along the bed? That would add at least the height of the banjo
to the swing. Not much you say, but remember this is radius and the
increase in blank size is doubled and just maybe the banjo could be
underslung even deeper under the bed. Seems less expensive and just as
useful as some of the outboard toolrests and bed extensions that can be
added on some lower end lathes.

Oh, never mind. I haven't thought this through. Besides, some of you
might already have a headache today.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlie b wrote:
Bill in Detroit wrote:
Here's a better link than the one I posted a few seconds ago ...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=200-2015

What you really, really want is in the upper right hand corner.

Bill

that takes care of part one.

still need a compressor or other source of compressed air.

why don't they build a small piston pump into the lathe
drive set up?

charlie b

Charlie,
In your original post you indicated that you already had an air
compressor with a line that would reach.

"When doing hollowing, I often bring an airhose to the lathe.
Hollow some, stop, blow out the chips and dust, hollow some
more, . . ."

That air hose plugs into this, turn the valve a little, aim the
nozzle(s) and you are all good.

This is the Unix philosophy of piecing together the parts of the puzzle
you already own to solve the new problem vs the Windows philosophy of
building everything into one package despite the probability that 90% of
your users will only access 10% of the features.

You already have an air line. Use IT.

Bill

--
Preach the gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.
St Francis of Assisi

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0666-1, 12/31/2006
Tested on: 1/1/2007 6:32:22 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default CHARLIE -- Ignore my previous post

charlie b wrote:

Thanks! Will order that one and the flex hose version to the left
IF they can take a quick disconnect. Will come in handy on the
drill press and maybe the router table as well.

charlie b

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0666-1, 12/31/2006
Tested on: 1/1/2007 6:37:54 PM

It was in response to your first response to my first response to your
original posting.

;-)

Other than that, you're welcome.

It looks like the one on the right may have a hose barb. That's easy
enough to replace with a quick disconnect. Might also consider using a
whip hose or a universal swiveling connector. That universal is worth
its weight in gold as it lets the hose lay however it wishes to. The
universal is about $15 but I used one all day everyday was a diw maker
and it never showed any signs of failure.

I hope that this doesn't simply result in your getting a face full of chips.

Bill

--

"We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or
omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world's population; that

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0666-1, 12/31/2006
Tested on: 1/1/2007 6:44:26 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
snip...

Why not machine the bottom of the bed casting (near the headstock at
least) so that the banjo and toolrest could be 'underslung' for some
distance along the bed? That would add at least the height of the banjo
to the swing.

....snip
Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch:

Actually, the Stubby solution to the problem of losing swing over the
banjo is a little different from your suggestion. We have an auxiliary
bed. You would attach it to the main bed, perpendicular, and mount
the banjo there. Now you don't have to worry about the banjo -- it is
out of the way. And, if you want the banjo on the headstock side of the
work, you mount the aux bed on the headstock. And, if you want to mount
your hollowing trap well to the back of the lathe you can mount the aux
bed to the back of the main bed, etc....

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
Actually, the Stubby solution to the problem of losing swing over the
banjo is a little different from your suggestion. We have an auxiliary
bed. You would attach it to the main bed, perpendicular, and mount the
banjo there. Now you don't have to worry about the banjo -- it is out of
the way. And, if you want the banjo on the headstock side of the work,
you mount the aux bed on the headstock. And, if you want to mount your
hollowing trap well to the back of the lathe you can mount the aux bed to
the back of the main bed, etc....

The ultimate in gap-bed lathes.

Not something I ever worried much about, that swing over banjo. By the time
I'm working the outside rim of a bowl there's usually some extra room under
the very bottom.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Why Don't Lathe Manufacturers ... ? ENCO Oops

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Here's a better link than the one I posted a few seconds ago ...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=200-2015

What you really, really want is in the upper right hand corner.

Bill

Wednesday, around 11 am, I ordered the two pop-bead air "aimers"
with magnetic base, along with the hose thing with the magnetic
base. Today, thrusday, around 1:30 UPS delivered my Enco order.
UNFORTUNATELY - the magnet in the "magnetic base" wasn't
magnetic - on either of them.

Called them after making sure that other magnets I have did in
fact stick to my table saw table - and lathe bed. They lady I
spoke with was very apologetic and sent someone out to the
warehouse to check the rest of the items. She offered to
replace them. I suggested they just send me two one inch
diameter, earth magnet washers. She looked up earth magnets
and found they did carry such a thing - but at $25 EACH. The
LEAST expensive earth magnate they had was $4.50 for a 13/16"
diameter 1/8th inch thick disk. She'll call me tomorrow with
options and we'll work this OOPS out.

They're sending me their catalog - phone book size. Lee Valley
catalogs are full of temptations to drain the checking account
and none are even close to a phone book size. Enco may take
Tool Porn to a whole new level.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlie b wrote:

They're sending me their catalog - phone book size. Lee Valley
catalogs are full of temptations to drain the checking account
and none are even close to a phone book size. Enco may take
Tool Porn to a whole new level.

charlie b

DO NOT, under any circumstances, order either a J & L Machinery catalog
or a Production Tool catalog.

Firt you'll get a hankering to work some aluminum. Then comes the mild
(1010) steel. Then 1018 and first thing you know you are stress
relieving 8086 and calculating the perlite percentages ... and you can't
even find your wood shop any more. Just a couple dusty cocobolo planks
forgotten in a dusty, poorly lit, corner.

Don't do it, Charlie ... don't do it!

;-)

Bill
--
It will, I believe, be everywhere found, that as the clergy are, or are
not what they ought to be, so are the rest of the nation.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0701-0, 01/03/2007
Tested on: 1/5/2007 1:36:48 PM