Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Why Don't Lathe Manufacturers ... ?

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
Actually, the Stubby solution to the problem of losing swing over the
banjo is a little different from your suggestion. We have an auxiliary
bed. You would attach it to the main bed, perpendicular, and mount the
banjo there. Now you don't have to worry about the banjo -- it is out of
the way. And, if you want the banjo on the headstock side of the work,
you mount the aux bed on the headstock. And, if you want to mount your
hollowing trap well to the back of the lathe you can mount the aux bed to
the back of the main bed, etc....

The ultimate in gap-bed lathes.

Not something I ever worried much about, that swing over banjo. By the time
I'm working the outside rim of a bowl there's usually some extra room under
the very bottom.