Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Why Don't Lathe Manufacturers ... ?

It seems to me that there are some built-ins or improvements for _all
decent lathes, that are generally useful and cost acceptable over having
to add them on. ex: harder tool rests. more robust spindle locks and
threaded revolving tail centers.

I'm no engineer/CFO, but it seems like a cost effective source of
compressed air, even vacuum, could be incorporated in the high end
lathes. If you don't like Charlie's idea, you'll like mine a lot less.
Why not machine the bottom of the bed casting (near the headstock at
least) so that the banjo and toolrest could be 'underslung' for some
distance along the bed? That would add at least the height of the banjo
to the swing. Not much you say, but remember this is radius and the
increase in blank size is doubled and just maybe the banjo could be
underslung even deeper under the bed. Seems less expensive and just as
useful as some of the outboard toolrests and bed extensions that can be
added on some lower end lathes.

Oh, never mind. I haven't thought this through. Besides, some of you
might already have a headache today.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter