Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default Why Don't Lathe Manufacturers ... ?

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

The question is not why lathe manufacturers do not build in a small
compressor pump in the lathe body but rather, after they build in mutiple
light sources, air compressors, vaccuum chuck assemblies complete with
vaccuum pumps, extra tool rests, variable weight adjustment mechanisms, and
self regulating speed controolers, do we still have a lathe at all and can a
person get near it in the first place? I think the old addage is, "whatever
is on the lathe is not sufficient for all peoples." So why not keep them
simple and add on as the need arises? Me, I find that the break to stop the
lathe and clear the shavings is a good one and part of the design
experience. Just a few thoughts.

I'm not looking for a Swiss Army Pocket Knife lathe - one that comes
with everything I'd ever need for any type of turning - and work,
"sort of adequately". I'd have gone with Laguna Tools
Hyper-Super-Lathe
for that.

But come on - other than electronic variable speed, lathes haven't
changed much in the last 50 years - or more. They almost all come
with a faceplate and/or screw gizmo for bowls and plates so they know
you're going to get around to hollowing out something. And turning
involves a sharp edge against the wood - meaning - chips, shavings
and dust (OK - so the expert NEVER sands a piece because their
finishing cuts leave a shiny burnished surface behind). Most scroll
saws come with a little diaphram air pump and air hose positionable
near the cut. Hell, my Festool jig saw/sabre saw blows dust away
from the cut so I can see where the front of the blade is. Most
drill
presses now have a built in light.

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Good response. Several other things come to mind, though.

What about cost? Every time you add a 'feature' you add cost. Would
the guy who already has a compressor want to pay for another one built
into his machine?

I have a compressor. It and the dust collector have their own little
room - with insulated walls and a solid core door with weather
stripping.
They're LOUD! so they're in a sound deadening room. But I don't
want an air hose on the floor or strung through the rafters. Hell,
the dust collection ducting overhead makes putting up lights a PITA.
Eventually will plumb air lines in - if and when I settle on The Final
Shop Layout (which we all know is never Final -'til you die. Only
then does it become The Final Shop Layout)

I'm not after a 30 gallon, 140 max psi, 8 CFM compressor, or even
one of the small airbrush diaphram pumps - but something like an
aquarium pump - the little half brick sized things - and a flex hose,
with or without nozzle.

charlie b