Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Why Don't Lathe Manufacturers ... ?

Good response. Several other things come to mind, though.

What about cost? Every time you add a 'feature' you add cost. Would
the guy who already has a compressor want to pay for another one built
into his machine?

Also... why don't the manufacturers of air compressors build in the
nailers and air wrenches? Maybe they should build in a lathe?

Bill

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
The question is not why lathe manufacturers do not build in a small
compressor pump in the lathe body but rather, after they build in mutiple
light sources, air compressors, vaccuum chuck assemblies complete with
vaccuum pumps, extra tool rests, variable weight adjustment mechanisms, and
self regulating speed controolers, do we still have a lathe at all and can a
person get near it in the first place? I think the old addage is, "whatever
is on the lathe is not sufficient for all peoples." So why not keep them
simple and add on as the need arises? Me, I find that the break to stop the
lathe and clear the shavings is a good one and part of the design
experience. Just a few thoughts.