Jim White

Default Hitachi Power tools

Hi
I posted this above in another thread but it may not be seen, so will try
here.
I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as/better than Makita/Bosch?

Thanks
Jim

Michael Mcneil

"Jim White" wrote in message

does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as/better than Makita/Bosch?

I have a nice little Hitachi router it is quite old but hasn't been used
all that much. Most Japanese stuff is first class.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:03:58 +0100, "Jim White"
wrote:

Hi
I posted this above in another thread but it may not be seen, so will try
here.
I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as/better than Makita/Bosch?

Thanks
Jim

I have a Hitachi circular saw which is relatively new - has a diecast
base, electric brake and good adjustment.

I also have a quite old Hitachi rechargeable drill which has stood the
test of time.

I went on a jigsaw search a few months ago and eventually settled on a
Bosch GST100BCE. This has been well reviewed and works very well.
The main point that I've found is that it's possible to cut very well
controlled lines that are not possible on DIY grade jigsaws.

THe price point is similar to Hitachi and Makita in the £100-110 range

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Alex

I have quite a few hitachi power and cordless tools,and recentley purchased
this jigsaw,bad news it really is just about the worst jigsaw I have ever
used.returned it to dealer and he replaced it without question for bosch
model,and then rold me had quite a few returns on this model,it would not
cut straight on 30mm worktops so did not evem try on 40mm

Jim White

Well, thanks for the replies folks.
I guess I was rather hoping for a good review on the Hitachi 'cos I've been
led to believe that they really are the puppy's privates.
Now, of course, someone else has told me that Atlas Copco are the best of
the lot!
I think I need to just make a decision.... Bosch; Makita. Bosch; Makita.
Bosch; Makita.
And then there's a circular saw in the wings!

RichardS

"Jim White" wrote in message
Well, thanks for the replies folks.
I guess I was rather hoping for a good review on the Hitachi 'cos I've

been
led to believe that they really are the puppy's privates.
Now, of course, someone else has told me that Atlas Copco are the best of
the lot!
I think I need to just make a decision.... Bosch; Makita. Bosch; Makita.
Bosch; Makita.
And then there's a circular saw in the wings!

I have an Atlas Copco BSPE100XL jigsaw and it really is a good piece of kit.

Not easy to source, though, I only came across it because local tool shop is
D&M Tools and they sell quite a lot of A-C stuff. The Milwaukee brand is
now being rolled out here, and it is in many cases the identical tool to
Atlas Copco.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Michael Mcneil

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message

I think I need to just make a decision.... Bosch; Makita. Bosch; Makita.
Bosch; Makita.
And then there's a circular saw in the wings!

I have an Atlas Copco BSPE100XL jigsaw and it really is a good piece of kit.

I can remember back in the dim and distant when AEG was the dog's banana
then my boss bought one and I being green and the first to use it was
somewhat discomfitted-up to find it was about the worst piece of some
other part of the dog that I have ever seen.

Steer clear of expensive kit. OK good kit is VFM whatever the price if
you can make it pay. Buying into a name is like wearing Nike
when you can get the same thing probably from the same sweat shop for a
lot less. When all you want is a comfortable shoe, buy a leather one
that fits.

Jim White

Well, that makes a lot of good sense, but I have to think in broad terms
here.
Whatever I buy right now will be through my company. I shall give it fairly
light use for a year or so, then retire, taking the power tools with me.
(I can sell them to myself for the written down value which would be fairly
nominal.)
I don't suppose anyone else will ever see them, so I don't need to buy for
the brand, but just want to make sure that I buy the *best* tools that I
can.
Easiest to use, best results, spares availability, after sales service, you
know...
The people I have spoken to have all told me that the cheapest jigsaws,
circular saws, chisels and so on have all been the worst they've ever
bought.
there's no point in me saving a few bob now, if I'm going to want to buy
something better when I retire when it's out of my own pocket, rather than
getting some help from the tax man!

Jim

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:b01d457dbe6f917e2dd5566e8de9829f.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
[...]

Michael Mcneil

"Jim White" wrote in message

I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as/better than Makita/Bosch?

Can you give us some idea what you want to do with them and what
financial switch games you might be able to play with them vis a vis the
tax man?

It would be a terrible shame to waste your time giving serious
consideration to finding the best vaue for money items, if you
are the sort of prick that can get someone else to fit the bill then
cheat on the paper work so that money is no object.

For in such a case "****ing well **** off and buy the most expensive
piece of kit you are not going to pay for you jerk" would be the
consumate response every time.

dave @ stejonda

In message , Jim White
writes apropos nothing,

Well, that makes a lot of good sense

Nothing generally does make a lot of sense.

--
dave @ stejonda

Jim White

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:2a1eddc02eb69b4708f8b164fc105127.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Jim White" wrote in message

Can you give us some idea what you want to do with them and what
financial switch games you might be able to play with them vis a vis the
tax man?

It would be a terrible shame to waste your time giving serious
consideration to finding the best vaue for money items, if you
are the sort of prick that can get someone else to fit the bill then
cheat on the paper work so that money is no object.

For in such a case "****ing well **** off and buy the most expensive
piece of kit you are not going to pay for you jerk" would be the
consumate response every time.

No one else will be either fitting or footing the bill, whichever you meant.
I own the company and will be making use of the tools for the company's
purposes.
I envisage retiring around the time that the tools will be written down for
tax purposes, at which time I would like them to still have some life in
them.
Then, in accordance with standard accounting practises (hard sums, to you),
I shall sell them to myself for a nominal sum.
I really think that if you don't understand this sort of thing you should
avoid comment. Or get an accountant.
Either way, displaying your poor English by resorting to the pitiful
outburst here should be avoided. People might stop taking you seriously.

Oh! I didn't mention value for money. Perhaps if you read posts a little
more closely, you might not end up jumping to conclusions.
If you have a reading problem, I apologise for thinking harshly of you, but
feel you should make more of an effort.

Jim

Andy Hall

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:56:45 +0100, "Jim White"
wrote:

[...]

For what you want to do, it is eminently sensible to buy something of
good quality, use it in the business and write it down; then purchase
from the company at the end as appropriate.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:21:32 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

"Jim White" wrote in message

I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as/better than Makita/Bosch?

Can you give us some idea what you want to do with them and what
financial switch games you might be able to play with them vis a vis the
tax man?

It isn't a financial switch game.

It's perfectly legitimate to purchase tools via the entity of a
company, use them for a reasonable period on company business,
depreciate them and sell to the individual at the end of the write
down period. Provided that the company has been trading
legitimately, this is perfectly reasonable.

It would be a terrible shame to waste your time giving serious
consideration to finding the best vaue for money items, if you
are the sort of prick that can get someone else to fit the bill then
cheat on the paper work so that money is no object.

In the context that Jim is considering, the best value for money is to
buy a good quality product that will do the job and last well.

For in such a case "****ing well **** off and buy the most expensive
piece of kit you are not going to pay for you jerk" would be the
consumate response every time.

This is an unnecessarily offensive, stupid and unhelpful remark.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Noel Hegan

"Jim White" wrote in message ...
[...]

Have a look at www.ukworkshop.co.uk for more info and opinion on all
aspects of tools and woodworking.

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Jim White"
saying something like:

Now, of course, someone else has told me that Atlas Copco are the best of
the lot!

I have a 110v Altas Copco SDS drill - on closer examination, it's
actually an AEG. I wonder if AC actually make any kit, or just rebadge
stuff.

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Michael Mcneil"
saying something like:

For in such a case "****ing well **** off and buy the most expensive
piece of kit you are not going to pay for you jerk" would be the
consumate response every time.

Bit of a ******, aren't you?
Grunff

Michael Mcneil wrote:

For in such a case "****ing well **** off and buy the most expensive
piece of kit you are not going to pay for you jerk" would be the
consumate response every time.

How the hell did you make it out of my killfile?

replonk

--
Grunff
RichardS

"Jim White" wrote in message
Hi
I posted this above in another thread but it may not be seen, so will try
here.
I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as/better than Makita/Bosch?

Thanks
Jim

Probably a neutral factor in the decision, but this quarter's edition of
Axminster's "Review" magazine landed on the doorstep this morning,
containing an article about Makita's manufacturing facility in Telford -
apparently the last power tool manufacturer in the UK.

The 4340 is made there...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Jim White

Probably a neutral factor in the decision, but this quarter's edition of
Axminster's "Review" magazine landed on the doorstep this morning,
containing an article about Makita's manufacturing facility in Telford -
apparently the last power tool manufacturer in the UK.

The 4340 is made there...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Makita are made in the UK???
If that's the case, I'm old fashioned enough to say it makes the difference
and that's where my money will be going.
Thanks for that.

Jim

RichardS

"Jim White" wrote in message

Probably a neutral factor in the decision, but this quarter's edition of
Axminster's "Review" magazine landed on the doorstep this morning,
containing an article about Makita's manufacturing facility in Telford -
apparently the last power tool manufacturer in the UK.

The 4340 is made there...

--
Richard Sampson

Makita are made in the UK???
If that's the case, I'm old fashioned enough to say it makes the

difference
and that's where my money will be going.
Thanks for that.

Jim

yup - I was surprised too.

It does just appear to be the top-end tools though. Pictures of assembly
lines with rows and rows of alloy gearbox castings. 4340 specifically
mentioned as one of the UK models.

In uk.d-i-y, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I have a 110v Altas Copco SDS drill - on closer examination, it's
actually an AEG. I wonder if AC actually make any kit, or just rebadge
stuff.

A bit of Googling around, comparing PDFs of "owners manuals" and the like,
followed by acquiring two-of-one and one-of-the-other, was enough to
persuade me that AEG-AtlasCopco-Milwaukee are multiple brands/sources
for the very same thing, in the case of the "PES-12" non-impact drivers
at the very least. I seem to remember that AEG owns Atlas Copco, while
Milwaukee (apologies to both original inhabitants and fans of Alice Cooper's
cameo appearance in Wayne's World for misspelling ;-) is the brand under
which they're sold in the USA, but also (possibly against the intent of
the European marketing people) at sometimes-keener prices in the UK.

Regardless of the brand, I've been *very* happy with the build quality
and the decently-managed charger on these; but cheap they weren't.

HTH - Stefek
Lurch

On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:02:58 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Jim White"
strung together this:

Makita are made in the UK???
If that's the case, I'm old fashioned enough to say it makes the difference
and that's where my money will be going.
Thanks for that.

Quite right, I used to get some of my Makita stuff direct from the
factory as I only live 20 mins down the road.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
RichardS

wrote in message
[...]

Think it's the other way round - Atlas Copco owns AEG Electric Power Tools
(completely separate from other AEG appliances, I think). AC are a pretty
big company.

Although the casing looks identical for some AEG and AC products they are
often different specs, AEG aimed at the "Trade" market, AC aimed at
"Industrial". Milwaukee and AC products seem to be identical in spec.

I've got an AC 9.6v cordless drill and a mains jigsaw. Can't fault either
of them.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"Jim White" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like,me an assembly plant rather than manufacturing plant.

RichardS

"Jim White" wrote in message

[...]

Nope.

According to the article,it's "Makita Manufacturing Europe Ltd" and there is
a and engineered production area and a separate assembly area.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Jim White

Sounds like,me an assembly plant rather than manufacturing plant.

Nope.

According to the article,it's "Makita Manufacturing Europe Ltd" and there

is
a and engineered production area and a separate assembly area.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Even if it's "just" an assembly plant, it employs people and some of the
money I pay for it will go into our economy.
I have to admit to shopping around for the best price, but my locally owned
tool store almost met that so has an order and I should be seeing the saw on
Friday.
Thanks everybody for all your help.
Those who have a shed full of tools prolly think the purchase of a new
jigsaw a fairly mundane subject, but it helps to be able to get a feel for
what others use and think; and it's hardly an easy subject to broach in the
pub.

Jim

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something
like:

Regardless of the brand, I've been *very* happy with the build quality
and the decently-managed charger on these;

Same here - I'd buy more AEG/AtlasCopco.

but cheap they weren't.

Heh. 15quid at a bootsale.
Andy Hall

On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:33:09 +0100, "RichardS" noaccess@invalid
wrote:

"Jim White" wrote in message
Hi
I posted this above in another thread but it may not be seen, so will try
here.
I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as/better than Makita/Bosch?

Thanks
Jim

Probably a neutral factor in the decision, but this quarter's edition of
Axminster's "Review" magazine landed on the doorstep this morning,
containing an article about Makita's manufacturing facility in Telford -
apparently the last power tool manufacturer in the UK.

The 4340 is made there...

They make quite a lot of the sanders there as well....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:14:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.

Sounds like,me an assembly plant rather than manufacturing plant.

It doesn't matter. Value is being added and hence there is a
contribution to the economy.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:02:58 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Jim White"
strung together this:

Makita are made in the UK???
If that's the case, I'm old fashioned enough to say it makes the

difference
and that's where my money will be going.
Thanks for that.

Quite right, I used to get some of my Makita stuff direct from the
factory as I only live 20 mins down the road.

Mr Pole,

Bean, you live in Telford?

Lurch

On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:24:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Bean, you live in Telford?

No, I live 20 minutes away from the Makita factory in Telford.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Why 110v power tools? Parish UK diy 63 March 26th 04 10:12 PM
Storage of power tools Peter Bull UK diy 18 January 6th 04 09:48 PM
Fake labelled Power Tools StealthUK UK diy 3 September 12th 03 10:37 PM
FS 240v Professional Power Tools jerrybuilt UK diy 1 August 21st 03 07:21 PM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 01:53 PM