Annette Kurten

Default Help please toilet problem

Due to a *VERY* limited budget, I bought a shell type white bathroom suite.
The flush has never been brilliant, but from last night I pull the handle
and very little water comes out.
I pump it and still no better.
I took the lid of and noticed that the lever setting (IE a bit of wire) was
on the highest pull.
There seems not to be enough suction to pull the water over the siphon.
I hope this makes sense. Is it a plumber job or something I might be able to
sort out before I top myself :-(

Seri

Depending, if you rapidly 'pump' the handle when trying to flush the toilet
then does that make it flush properly?
If so then it's the 'Flap Valve' that's failed, this by itself is only
normally a small flimsy piece of plastic, but normally it's easier to just
buy a new siphon. These take about 15 minutes to fit and generally cause
minimum fuss (providing you turn the water off first!).

Hope this helps a little.

Seri

"Annette Kurten" wrote in message
| Due to a *VERY* limited budget, I bought a shell type white bathroom
suite.
| The flush has never been brilliant, but from last night I pull the handle
| and very little water comes out.
| I pump it and still no better.
| I took the lid of and noticed that the lever setting (IE a bit of wire)
was
| on the highest pull.
| There seems not to be enough suction to pull the water over the siphon.
| I hope this makes sense. Is it a plumber job or something I might be able
| sort out before I top myself :-(

Seri

I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a joke.....

"Seri" wrote in message
.. .
| Depending, if you rapidly 'pump' the handle when trying to flush the
toilet
| then does that make it flush properly?
| If so then it's the 'Flap Valve' that's failed, this by itself is only
| normally a small flimsy piece of plastic, but normally it's easier to just
| buy a new siphon. These take about 15 minutes to fit and generally cause
| minimum fuss (providing you turn the water off first!).
|
| Hope this helps a little.
|
| Seri
|

| "Annette Kurten" wrote in message
| | Due to a *VERY* limited budget, I bought a shell type white bathroom
| suite.
| | The flush has never been brilliant, but from last night I pull the
handle
| | and very little water comes out.
| | I pump it and still no better.
| | I took the lid of and noticed that the lever setting (IE a bit of wire)
| was
| | on the highest pull.
| | There seems not to be enough suction to pull the water over the siphon.
| | I hope this makes sense. Is it a plumber job or something I might be
able
| | sort out before I top myself :-(
| |
| |

mich

"Seri" wrote in message
I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a

joke.....

mmm.... do you think it is a joke? You could be right, but the subject
matter didnt seem a joke did it?

By the way, if you knew my real name you would think it was a joke, which
is why I am asking the question.

Set Square

Annette Kurten wrote:

Due to a *VERY* limited budget, I bought a shell type white bathroom
suite. The flush has never been brilliant, but from last night I pull
the handle and very little water comes out.
I pump it and still no better.
I took the lid of and noticed that the lever setting (IE a bit of
wire) was on the highest pull.
There seems not to be enough suction to pull the water over the
siphon.
I hope this makes sense. Is it a plumber job or something I might be
able to sort out before I top myself :-(

You try a bit of tightly coiled wire on it - as used for holding up a net
curtaing.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy Luckman

In article , Seri
wrote:

I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a joke.....

Well your comment wouldn't have been read by many, seeing as it was upside
down and untrimmed.

--
AJL Electronics
Home account classic.vispa.com

Annette Kurten

"Seri" wrote in message
I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a

joke.....

"Seri" wrote in message
.. .
| Depending, if you rapidly 'pump' the handle when trying to flush the
toilet
| then does that make it flush properly?
| If so then it's the 'Flap Valve' that's failed, this by itself is only
| normally a small flimsy piece of plastic, but normally it's easier to

just
| buy a new siphon. These take about 15 minutes to fit and generally cause
| minimum fuss (providing you turn the water off first!).
|
| Hope this helps a little.
|
| Seri
|

| "Annette Kurten" wrote in message
| | Due to a *VERY* limited budget, I bought a shell type white bathroom
| suite.
| | The flush has never been brilliant, but from last night I pull the
handle
| | and very little water comes out.
| | I pump it and still no better.
| | I took the lid of and noticed that the lever setting (IE a bit of

wire)
| was
| | on the highest pull.
| | There seems not to be enough suction to pull the water over the

siphon.
| | I hope this makes sense. Is it a plumber job or something I might be
able
| | sort out before I top myself :-(
| |
| |

No friend serious question it was and thank you for the response.
How many people actually use their real name?

Seri

Default Help please toilet problem (OT Reply)

Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an OT
thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and not a
rule, I find putting replies at the top preferable as I have normally
already read through the prior thread messages individually and don't want
to wade through the length of body that I already know.

Secondly, if you search on Google Groups for my name, you will see that my
method of content deletions is to remove all the content from the current
thread that is superfluous to my reply and replace removed content with the
tag deletia, I do this so that anyone who happens to have come across just
my message in a search can have no merely my reply but also the context
information.

Sorry, but it seems that your reply was made for only one purpose, and that
was to annoy me. I'm aware that it may seem that my posting was to do the
same, but there have been times previously where I have seen someone reply
to a troll so I (normally) always take care not to do so myself. In this
instance I needn't have worried as a brief search on uk.d-i-y shows that
Annette Kurten is a regular poster, but I did not do this search before
posting my second message, and message retracts on newsgroups are as much
use as a chocolate teapot.

Anyway, divergence over, and enough ranting and self made net-cops.

Seri

"Andy Luckman" wrote in message
| In article , Seri
| wrote:
|
| I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a
joke.....

| Well your comment wouldn't have been read by many, seeing as it was upside
| down and untrimmed.
|
| --
| AJL Electronics
| Home account classic.vispa.com

Andy Luckman

In article , Annette Kurten
wrote:

How many people actually use their real name?

Most I would say. Whatever is against it? Anonymous posters are often
trolls and the suchlike.

BTW, would you mind trimming the quoted material down to context please?

--
AJL Electronics
Home account classic.vispa.com

Seri

I did at first, but only due to senders name, after I sent this second
message I did a brief search on the poster and then saw that they're
actually a proper poster... just being a bit over diligent after seeing all
this darn 'Harry Blomfield' type spam lately.

Seri

"mich" wrote in message

| "Seri" wrote in message
| I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a
| joke.....
|
| mmm.... do you think it is a joke? You could be right, but the subject
| matter didnt seem a joke did it?
|
| By the way, if you knew my real name you would think it was a joke,
which
| is why I am asking the question.

Seri

I have to say that Seri is in fact my christian name, I can understand why
some people use pseudonyms online, but for replies to uk.d-i-y I have no
problem, if it was a posting to alt.binaries.fetish.nuns-ands-popes then I
may feel the need to obscure it )

"Andy Luckman" wrote in message
| In article , Annette Kurten
| wrote:
|
| How many people actually use their real name?
|
| Most I would say. Whatever is against it? Anonymous posters are often
| trolls and the suchlike.
deletia

Seri

On the whole toilet siphon, I've only ever done two, but neither was a
problem at all except getting the handle off on one of them, I recounted my
experience on a thread a little while ago in fact:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?X46F12E08

And sorry for me being stupid on the whole posting name thing.

Seri

"Annette Kurten" wrote in message

| "Seri" wrote in message
| I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a
| joke.....

deletia
| | buy a new siphon. These take about 15 minutes to fit and generally
cause
| | minimum fuss (providing you turn the water off first!).
| |
| | Hope this helps a little.
| |
| | Seri
| |
| |
| | "Annette Kurten" wrote in message
| | | Due to a *VERY* limited budget, I bought a shell type white bathroom
| | suite.
| | | The flush has never been brilliant, but from last night I pull the
| handle
| | | and very little water comes out.
| | | I pump it and still no better.
| | | I took the lid of and noticed that the lever setting (IE a bit of
| wire)
| | was
| | | on the highest pull.
| | | There seems not to be enough suction to pull the water over the
| siphon.
| | | I hope this makes sense. Is it a plumber job or something I might be
| able
| | | sort out deletia

Capitol

It's a bit repetitive isn't it?
Capitol
Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
Seri wrote:
Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an
OT thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and
not a rule,

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/news/doc/so1036.txt
http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccau...ks/uquote.html.
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?clue=topposting
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
http://www.jsiinc.com/newsgroup_document.htm
http://www.malibutelecom.fi/yucca/usenet/brox.html
http://www.newsreaders.com/
http://www.planefacts.ndirect.co.uk/group/advice/
http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html
http://www.star-one.org.uk/computer/format.htm
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s3
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Get your OE fixed here;
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/quotefix.php

© Huge

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Seri

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
| In article ,
| Seri wrote:
| Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an
| OT thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and
| not a rule,
|
| http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
deletia
| http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Okay, at first glance it appears that I'm as wrong as squeezy cheesy peas, I
still hold that top posting is a personal preference and would ask you to
point out the one link in the long list that says otherwise, but the point
is taken.

Sorry, and I'll be shutting up right about now.

Seri

Lee

Andy Luckman wrote:

In article , Annette Kurten
wrote:

How many people actually use their real name?

Most I would say. Whatever is against it? Anonymous posters are often
trolls and the suchlike.

This topic has, of course, been discussed here before

I used to post using my real name, but for various reasons have decided
to stop doing so. Although my IP is probably still the same, so it
wouldn't be difficult to find out.
Nym-shifting and anonymous remailers are more of a problem.

Now I just need to find a cross post kill file for Mozilla...

Lee

--
Email address *is* valid, but is unlikely to be read.
geoff

In message , Annette Kurten
writes
Due to a *VERY* limited budget, I bought a shell type white bathroom suite.
The flush has never been brilliant, but from last night I pull the handle
and very little water comes out.
I pump it and still no better.
I took the lid of and noticed that the lever setting (IE a bit of wire) was
on the highest pull.
There seems not to be enough suction to pull the water over the siphon.
I hope this makes sense. Is it a plumber job or something I might be able to
sort out before I top myself :-(

Get a polythene tube and suck it yourself

--
geoff
geoff

In message , mich
writes

"Seri" wrote in message
.. .
I hate writting a reply and then seing that the posters name is a

joke.....

mmm.... do you think it is a joke? You could be right, but the subject
matter didnt seem a joke did it?

By the way, if you knew my real name you would think it was a joke, which
is why I am asking the question.

You mean that one day you might have a serious problem and no-one will
take you seriously
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Seri
writes
Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an OT
thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and not a
rule,

It's a convention and a rule in uk-diy.

Top posting means that you won't get help ands advice from those you
**** off, including me

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"Seri" wrote in message
news
I did at first, but only due to senders name, after I sent this second
message I did a brief search on the poster and then saw that they're
actually a proper poster... just being a bit over diligent after seeing

all
this darn 'Harry Blomfield' type spam lately.

The real Harry Bloomfield is a much maligned genuine poster. I know him and
he's suffered hugely from the attention of trolls.

Mary

Mary Fisher

No friend serious question it was and thank you for the response.
How many people actually use their real name?

Me

Mary is my given (baptismal) name, I married a member of the Fisher family.
It never occurred to me to use any other name.

Mary Fisher

"Seri" wrote in message

Sorry, but it seems that your reply was made for only one purpose, and

that
was to annoy me.

I didn't see it like that, I thought the reply wasn't thought out but not
deliberately offensive.

Usenet has all sorts and conditions of men - even me!

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message

*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

There is, but I can't remember it.

It's definitely not the piltrum.

Mary

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Seri

"geoff" wrote in message
| In message , Seri
| writes
| Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an OT
| thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and not
| rule,
|

| It's a convention and a rule in uk-diy.
|
| Top posting means that you won't get help ands advice from those you
| **** off, including me
|
| --
| geoff

Geoff, that would have been of a lot more potent if your next post had not
been:
Get a polythene tube and suck it yourself

That said, if you noticed at all, my posts since this have all had my
replies at the bottom, something which I will now continue to do, for no
other reason than whilst following the list of links one of the pages was
about the merits of top and bottom posting for blind readers

Seri.

Mary Fisher

"Seri" wrote in message
.. .

Sorry, and I'll be shutting up right about now.

Don't shut up - please - but top posting is a real irritant.

Mary

Seri

Seri

Ooops, too be honest, Harry Bloomfield was the only spammed name I could
remember, but I'm sure you know the spam to which I was referring.

Seri

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

| "Seri" wrote in message
| news | I did at first, but only due to senders name, after I sent this second
| message I did a brief search on the poster and then saw that they're
| actually a proper poster... just being a bit over diligent after seeing
| all
| this darn 'Harry Blomfield' type spam lately.
|
| The real Harry Bloomfield is a much maligned genuine poster. I know him
and
| he's suffered hugely from the attention of trolls.
|
| Mary

Seri

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

| "Seri" wrote in message
| Sorry, and I'll be shutting up right about now.
|
| Don't shut up - please - but top posting is a real irritant.
|
| Mary

deletia
Aye, and I've now stopped top posting, to be honest when I read through the
uk.d-i-y posting FAQ all that time ago I never saw anything about either top
/ bottom posting.

This is all by the by and merely me trying not to make myself seem quite so
foolish for flying off the handle about something for which I had no real
right to do so about. I'm kind of surprised that after all my messages this
was the first time anyone had mentioned it, and also feel that Andy could
have been a lot darn more civil about it, but, each to their own and all
that.

Seri

geoff

In message , Seri
writes
"geoff" wrote in message
| In message , Seri
| writes
| Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an OT
| thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and not
| rule,
|

| It's a convention and a rule in uk-diy.
|
| Top posting means that you won't get help ands advice from those you
| **** off, including me
|
| --
| geoff

Geoff, that would have been of a lot more potent if your next post had not
been:
Get a polythene tube and suck it yourself

Sorry, that was the first one I posted, my "top posting" post was in
reply to the second one of yours I read

That said, if you noticed at all, my posts since this have all had my
replies at the bottom, something which I will now continue to do, for no
other reason than whilst following the list of links one of the pages was
about the merits of top and bottom posting for blind readers

Actually bottom posting isn't always right - There are times when it's
appropriate to put a reply after a certain point you are replying to,
and snipping non relevant bits
--
geoff
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote
| "Dave Plowman" wrote in message
| *Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?
| There is, but I can't remember it.
| It's definitely not the piltrum.

popliteal fossa?

Or is that a sort of Indonesian cabbage?

Owain

Capitol

Oh God. More repetition.
Capitol
Huge wrote in message ...
"Seri" writes:
Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an OT
thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and not

rule, I find putting replies at the top preferable

What you prefer is of no consequence. This is a social space, and what
matters is what the majority of inhabitants of that social space prefer.
And what they prefer is *not* top posting.

You're welcome to continue top posting, and indeed we cannot stop you,
but you will find it hard to get replies due to the number of people
who will ignore you, either manually or through the automation of
killfiles.

You might find these URLs informative;

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/news/doc/so1036.txt
http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccau...ks/uquote.html.
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?clue=topposting
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
http://www.jsiinc.com/newsgroup_document.htm
http://www.malibutelecom.fi/yucca/usenet/brox.html
http://www.newsreaders.com/
http://www.planefacts.ndirect.co.uk/group/advice/
http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html
http://www.star-one.org.uk/computer/format.htm
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s3
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Get your OE fixed here;

Capitol

I'll settle for that.
Capitol
geoff wrote in message ...
In message , Seri
writes
Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an OT
thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and not

rule,

It's a convention and a rule in uk-diy.

Top posting means that you won't get help ands advice from those you
**** off, including me

--
geoff

Dave Plowman

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Actually bottom posting isn't always right - There are times when it's
appropriate to put a reply after a certain point you are replying to,
and snipping non relevant bits

It would be stupid when replying to a personal e-mail, since I'd assume
the person you're replying to would remember what they wrote. But
interleaving your reply on e-mail has its uses. Which, of course, is
really bottom posting. To top post an interleaved reply would be a
nonsense.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Capitol

Inspiring as any newsnet pedant can achieve.
Worked example!

Q What is a usenet pedant.

Q What is a usenet pedant.
A. 1 The previous poster

Q What is a usenet pedant.
A. 1 The previous poster
Q What is a usenet pedant.
A. 2 The previous poster

Q What is a usenet pedant.
A. 1 The previous poster
Q What is a usenet pedant.
A.2 The previous poster
Q What is a usenet pedant.
A.3 The previous poster

Top posted

A. 6 The previous poster

A. 5 The previous poster

A. 4 The previous poster

A. 3 The previous poster

A.2 The previous poster

A.1 The previous poster
Q What is a usenet pedant.

Capitol

Huge wrote in message ...
"Capitol" writes:
[49 lines snipped]

thread, but, putting replies at the top or bottom is a preference and

not
Hmmm, without wanting to deviate off the subject and turn this into an

OT
"Seri" writes:

Huge wrote in message ...
Capitol
Oh God. More repetition.

And now, a demonstration of what happens to top posters.

*plonk*

Zipadee Doodar

"Seri" wrote in message
news
I did at first, but only due to senders name,

I use my real name but no-one believes me. Mrs. Doodar was very reluctant to
marry me because of my silly name. She would have preferred to remain Anna
Glypta.

ZD

Grunff

Seri wrote:

Okay, at first glance it appears that I'm as wrong as squeezy cheesy peas, I
still hold that top posting is a personal preference and would ask you to
point out the one link in the long list that says otherwise, but the point
is taken.

It /is/ a "personal preference" - in the same way as going into a pub
and ahouting at the top of your voice "I own this place, you are all
scum" is a personal preference. It just doesn't go down very well.

Sorry, and I'll be shutting up right about now.

Don't shut up - just accept that there are some social 'norms' on
Usenet, just as there are in the real world.

--
Grunff

geoff

In message , Owain
writes
"Mary Fisher" wrote
| "Dave Plowman" wrote in message
| *Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?
| There is, but I can't remember it.
| It's definitely not the piltrum.

popliteal fossa?

Or is that a sort of Indonesian cabbage?

??

Cabbage in Indonesian is Kol as in Dutch

Suharto is also an Indonesian cabbage

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Huge
writes
[49 lines snipped]

"Seri" writes:

Huge wrote in message ...
Capitol
Oh God. More repetition.

And now, a demonstration of what happens to top posters.

*plonk*

Just ignore him, huge
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Capitol
writes
Inspiring as any newsnet pedant can achieve.
Worked example!

Snip ...

retard

--
geoff
mike ring

"Seri" wrote in
:

I'm kind of surprised that after
all my messages this was the first time anyone had mentioned it,

Thre's too many netkops already; the sense of the convention usually
penetrates without too much help,

Top posting

What irritates you most?

mike r
Andy Luckman

In article , Seri
wrote:

This is all by the by and merely me trying not to make myself seem quite so
foolish for flying off the handle about something for which I had no real
right to do so about. I'm kind of surprised that after all my messages this
was the first time anyone had mentioned it, and also feel that Andy could
have been a lot darn more civil about it, but, each to their own and all
that.

I didn't consider my response to be that uncivil. Perhaps I am just so
astounded that anyone would imagine that a reply could precede a quote
under any circumstances. It's not as if you ever see it done in the press
etc.

Another point to bear in mind is that I, like many of the group, often use
GPRS to access mail and news. You can imagine that it does little for the
temper when you have to download reams of previous irrelevance because of
those who will not trim to context.

So apologies if you felt I was harsh.

--
AJL Electronics
Home account classic.vispa.com

Toilet Flexible Connector Issues Help! Quddus UK diy 12 January 12th 04 04:32 PM
Raised Toilet Andrew Mawson UK diy 11 December 12th 03 12:19 AM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:00 PM
Replacing leaking toilet Jeremy Taylor UK diy 4 September 11th 03 04:51 PM