Hugo Nebula

Default Help please toilet problem

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:11:25 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Andy
Luckman randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

In article , Annette Kurten
wrote:

How many people actually use their real name?

Most I would say. Whatever is against it? Anonymous posters are often
trolls and the suchlike.

A couple of reasons;

1. My posts on this group may differ from my employer's 'official'
policies, or I may occasionally come across someone who I had given
informal advice to. To avoid possibly being quoted as a definitive
source when I am anything but, I have used a pseudonym.

2. To avoid unnecessary spam (is any spam necessary?- don't answer
that), or any junk mail, etc.

I have to admit, it wouldn't take an e-Sherlock to find my true
identity from various clues I've given over the years, but it will
hopefully stop the casual spammer or enquirer.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Hugo Nebula
wrote:

How many people actually use their real name?

Most I would say. Whatever is against it? Anonymous posters are often
trolls and the suchlike.

A couple of reasons;

1. My posts on this group may differ from my employer's 'official'
policies, or I may occasionally come across someone who I had given
informal advice to. To avoid possibly being quoted as a definitive
source when I am anything but, I have used a pseudonym.

Fair enough, but that can't that be overcome with a small
disclaimer in the sig?

2. To avoid unnecessary spam (is any spam necessary?- don't answer
that), or any junk mail, etc.

How does using a pseudonym help that? It is the return address that needs to
be altered rather than your given name, as you are aware with local.host.
I find that the privacy net address works well as a mailto: because it is
accepted as a genuine address for the individual.net server.

I have to admit, it wouldn't take an e-Sherlock to find my true
identity from various clues I've given over the years, but it will
hopefully stop the casual spammer or enquirer.

My personal opinion is that it is important to be "real" in order to be
taken seriously, especially when posting to a group for the first few times.
Obviously you have been around long enough to be well established, but I
would be wary of a new poster who anonymises. At the least, I hope to see
some genuine info in the sig.

RichardS

"Lee" wrote in message
Andy Luckman wrote:

In article , Annette Kurten
wrote:

How many people actually use their real name?

Most I would say. Whatever is against it? Anonymous posters are often
trolls and the suchlike.

This topic has, of course, been discussed here before

I used to post using my real name, but for various reasons have decided
to stop doing so. Although my IP is probably still the same, so it
wouldn't be difficult to find out.
Nym-shifting and anonymous remailers are more of a problem.

Now I just need to find a cross post kill file for Mozilla...

I use NewsProxy - works with any news reader. As a consequence I don't see
any of the cross-posted troll stuff that appears here (I was only aware of
how big a problem this has become when I had to use a public newsserver to
read the group whilst working from another location and couldn't be bothered
to reconfigure NewsProxy for that one). That is, unless someone replies to
such a post and trims out the x-posts......

Google search on rec.woodworking for instructions on where to get it and how
to configure the filters.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

The Natural Philosopher

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

My personal opinion is that it is important to be "real" in order to be
taken seriously, especially when posting to a group for the first few times.
Obviously you have been around long enough to be well established, but I
would be wary of a new poster who anonymises. At the least, I hope to see
some genuine info in the sig.

My personal opinion is that what I say will either stand up in its own
right, or be seen for the rubbish it really is irrespective of whether I
sign myself TNP or Tony Bliar.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

My personal opinion is that what I say will either stand up in its own
right, or be seen for the rubbish it really is irrespective of whether I
sign myself TNP or Tony Bliar.

Yes. OK I'll concede that. It does make me more wary though if an ID is
obviously not genuine, especially if it comes via Google etc.

Lee

RichardS wrote:

I use NewsProxy - works with any news reader. As a consequence I don't see
any of the cross-posted troll stuff that appears here
Google search on rec.woodworking for instructions on where to get it and how
to configure the filters.

Interesting, I've downloaded it. Now to configure it

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
RichardS

"Lee" wrote in message
RichardS wrote:

I use NewsProxy - works with any news reader. As a consequence I don't

see
any of the cross-posted troll stuff that appears here
Google search on rec.woodworking for instructions on where to get it and

how
to configure the filters.

Interesting, I've downloaded it. Now to configure it

Lee,

check your emails - I've mailed you something that might speed up your
config somewhat.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Lee

RichardS wrote:

Lee,

check your emails - I've mailed you something that might speed up your
config somewhat.

Thank you

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Toilet Flexible Connector Issues Help! Quddus UK diy 12 January 12th 04 04:32 PM
Raised Toilet Andrew Mawson UK diy 11 December 12th 03 12:19 AM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:00 PM
Replacing leaking toilet Jeremy Taylor UK diy 4 September 11th 03 04:51 PM