N. Thornton

Default DIY Cooking

Hi

A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations
where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to
zest, and it strikes me that a manual wood rasp would probably do a
much faster job of this than the traditional lemon zester.

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some
kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for
browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up
frozen foods... any others?

Regards, NT
Seri

Drills for coconuts (to get the milk out)

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
| Hi
|

| A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations
| where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to
| zest, and it strikes me that a manual wood rasp would probably do a
| much faster job of this than the traditional lemon zester.
|
| Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some
| kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for
| browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up
| frozen foods... any others?
|

| Regards, NT

David Hearn

N. Thornton wrote:
Hi

A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations
where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to
zest, and it strikes me that a manual wood rasp would probably do a
much faster job of this than the traditional lemon zester.

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some
kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for
browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up
frozen foods... any others?

I use my plaster mixer and cordless drill to stirr the porridge in the
mornings. What I hate though are all the crunchy bits I keep finding in it.
My wife thinks that it's posh porridge with added crunchy bits.

T i m

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:46:19 +0100, "-= debully =-"
wrote:

I sometimes could do with an SDS drill with attatched chisel bit to get
through my wifes steak.

;-)

Luckily my Wife think's dinner is something that's delivered on a
moped so I'm safe there!

Talking of SDS again (I darent start another thread ..).

Whilst In B&Q earlier I noticed their SDS drills are now 23.99 or
summat. They were very much different (lighter, smaller) than the
Challenge one I got from Argos some weeks before this 'other' (cheapo)
model came out.

I did notice on the box it mentioned a 'clutch' but no mention of a
rotary stop?

Anyone got one (I think it was one of the 'Proline' models (or
whatever their cheapo line's called))?

All the best ..

T i m

Set Square

N. Thornton wrote:

Hi

A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations
where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to
zest, and it strikes me that a manual wood rasp would probably do a
much faster job of this than the traditional lemon zester.

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some
kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for
browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up
frozen foods... any others?

Regards, NT

A Mole Wrench is wonderful for cracking nuts and for getting the meat out of
crab claws. You can apply a very large force over a controlled distance
without going on and smashing the whole thing to pulp.

It works the other way round to - I use my wife's self-lighting caramelising
blowtorch to light my large plumbing model.

P.S. I hope you wash the fungicidal gunge off your wallpaper roller before
using it on food!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Gibson

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Hi

A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations
where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to
zest, and it strikes me that a manual wood rasp would probably do a
much faster job of this than the traditional lemon zester.

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some
kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for
browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up
frozen foods... any others?

Regards, NT

I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

Christian McArdle

I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

Presumably you have to tie the pig down first?

Christian.

dmc

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

Presumably you have to tie the pig down first?

Nah. Clamp it in the workmate.

Darren

S Viemeister

"N. Thornton" wrote:

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some
kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for
browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up
frozen foods... any others?

Needle-nosed pliers for pulling bones out of fish. A hatchet/small ax for
chopping up bones for stock. Spackle blades for icing, fine paint brushes
for pastry.

Of course, it works the other way, too - muffin tins for sorting small
parts, roasting tins for catching oily drips, old liquidisers/blenders for
mixing garden stuff......

Sheila

Mary Fisher

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

Presumably you have to tie the pig down first?

Nah. Clamp it in the workmate.

We couldn't have done that with our 4cwt pig ...

Mary

Darren

Dave Stanton

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:24:09 +0000, Seri wrote:

Drills for coconuts (to get the milk out)

And bandsaw to cut it up !!.. Only joking folks.

Dave

Ian Stirling

N. Thornton wrote:
Hi

A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations
where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to

Hot-air paintstripper set on hot I find more convenient than the
blowtorch.
Ideal for melting cheese on toast, ...

For cutting up food, I find that 30s-1m in the microwave to warm it up
from -20C to around -1C or so, and maybe start melting bits helps.
This changes the food from totally solid, to slightly flexible, and
makes getting a cutting tool into it possible.

I find my favourite knife in this circumstance is a 1mm thick stainless
carving knife.
Tap gently on tha back with a lump of wood, and it just goes right through.
N. Thornton

"Set Square" wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:

[...]

Oh its never seen wallpaper, I got it for cooking. Just seems to be
one more DIY item I use for cookery. Looks like some people thought I
was kidding - funny maybe, but I've used quite a few diy tools on food

I dont know if the roller is dishwasher proof yet, but its cheap
enough that I'm going to try some time. Gad ya compare kitchen
implement prices with DIY, if I get poorer the kitchen will become the
workshop too.

Regards, NT

mike ring

"Dave Gibson" wrote in news:5Sddc.31037$Y%6.3835277
@wards.force9.net:

I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

You are what you eat.....

mike r
Mary Fisher

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

if I get poorer the kitchen will become the
workshop too.

It always was here, until I screamed and raged and sulked and ... well I'm
sure you know what I mean.

So was the sitting room (for dismantling the motor bike) and the dining room
(for welding) ... there was nowhere left for me to extract my honey except
the bathroom and to make my candles except the back bedroom ...

Mary

Regards, NT

Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

I find my favourite knife in this circumstance is a 1mm thick stainless
carving knife.
Tap gently on tha back with a lump of wood, and it just goes right

through.

When you need to take the head off a frozen fish you need a 5lb hammer on
the back of an axe ...

Mary

John Southern

"Dave Gibson" wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Hi

A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations
where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to
zest, and it strikes me that a manual wood rasp would probably do a
much faster job of this than the traditional lemon zester.

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some
kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for
browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up
frozen foods... any others?

Regards, NT

I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

Used to be a comedy series on ch4 called "home improvement" in it Tim
Allen presented a spoof show called tool time and they had an episode
about construction site cooking where a plumber made a grilled cheese
sandwich using his blowtorch.
Think its rerun on the Disney channel all the time.

Jon.

Set Square

John Southern wrote:

Used to be a comedy series on ch4 called "home improvement" in it Tim
Allen presented a spoof show called tool time and they had an episode
about construction site cooking where a plumber made a grilled cheese
sandwich using his blowtorch.
Think its rerun on the Disney channel all the time.

Jon.

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a steam
roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back in the 1920's.
He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent new coal shovel for
cooking and - using a little lard oil (supplied for some part or other of
the steam engine) - would cook a breakfast of bacon and eggs over a roadside
brazier.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Mary Fisher

"Set Square" wrote in message
-

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a steam
roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back in the

1920's.
He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent new coal shovel for
cooking and - using a little lard oil (supplied for some part or other of
the steam engine) - would cook a breakfast of bacon and eggs over a

roadside
brazier.

My dad did that in the 1940s when he worked at a steel forge.

Mary

Chris J Dixon

Set Square wrote:

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a steam
roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back in the 1920's.
He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent new coal shovel for
cooking and - using a little lard oil (supplied for some part or other of
the steam engine) - would cook a breakfast of bacon and eggs over a roadside
brazier.

Standard railway practice, but the powers that be weren't happy,
and began drilling a few holes in each shovel.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Mary Fisher

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a steam
roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back in the

1920's.
He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent new coal shovel for
cooking and - using a little lard oil

What's 'lard oil'?

Mary

(supplied for some part or other of
the steam engine) - would cook a breakfast of bacon and eggs over a

roadside
brazier.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

Set Square

Mary Fisher wrote:

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a
steam roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back
in the 1920's. He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent
new coal shovel for cooking and - using a little lard oil

What's 'lard oil'?

Mary

If you do a Google search on "lard oil", you'll get lots of hits - including
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/lard+oil - and another one about
its use as a lighthouse fuel in California - or yet another which says "Lard
oil is a fixed oil obtained by subjecting lard to heavy pressure without the
application of heat."

The impression I got from my father is that it's an animal-fat-derived oil
which is used as a lubricant - but you can also cook in it without it
poisoning you.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ian Stirling

Mary Fisher wrote:

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a steam
roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back in the

1920's.
He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent new coal shovel for
cooking and - using a little lard oil

What's 'lard oil'?

Oil made from lard.
IIRC, you take lard, and press it (cold) into some muslim or other
fine cloth.
The oil that comes out is lard oil.
A very good lubricant.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:29:37 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a steam
roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back in the

1920's.
He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent new coal shovel for
cooking and - using a little lard oil

What's 'lard oil'?

Oil made from lard.
IIRC, you take lard, and press it (cold) into some muslim or other

----------------------------------------------------------------------------^

woops.....

I think you meant muslin ??

fine cloth.
The oil that comes out is lard oil.
A very good lubricant.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Set Square" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a
steam roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back
in the 1920's. He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent
new coal shovel for cooking and - using a little lard oil

What's 'lard oil'?

Mary

If you do a Google search on "lard oil", you'll get lots of hits -

including
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/lard+oil - and another one about
its use as a lighthouse fuel in California - or yet another which says

"Lard
oil is a fixed oil obtained by subjecting lard to heavy pressure without

the
application of heat."

Ah - right, thanks. I know what it is now.

The use in California is surprising, I'll have to look into that.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message news:Bjzdc.31351$Y%

What's 'lard oil'?

Oil made from lard.
IIRC, you take lard, and press it (cold) into some muslim

I'm sure you mean 'muslin' :-)

Any muslim would be horrified at having pig fat pressed into him/her!

Mary

Ian Stirling

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message news:Bjzdc.31351$Y%

What's 'lard oil'?

Oil made from lard.
IIRC, you take lard, and press it (cold) into some muslim

I'm sure you mean 'muslin' :-)

Any muslim would be horrified at having pig fat pressed into him/her!

Oh dear.
Indeed, muslin is indeed the correct word.

Though you can get vegetable based 'lard' if you/they're into that
sort of thing.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:29:19 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message news:Bjzdc.31351$Y%

What's 'lard oil'?

Oil made from lard.
IIRC, you take lard, and press it (cold) into some muslim

I'm sure you mean 'muslin' :-)

Any muslim would be horrified at having pig fat pressed into him/her!

Mary

I read somewhere that the Israelis were putting quantities of lard on
buses to deter suicide bombers.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I read somewhere that the Israelis were putting quantities of lard on
buses to deter suicide bombers.

Oh?

And where are the Israelis getting lard?

Mary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

bof

In message , Dave Gibson
writes
I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

my keyboard and monitor are now covered in tea

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Set Square

bof wrote:

In message , Dave Gibson
writes
I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

my keyboard and monitor are now covered in tea

Well, if you're using tea as a keyboard cleaner, I suppose that it's sort of
on topic! g

--
Cheers,
Set Square

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message news:Bjzdc.31351$Y%

What's 'lard oil'?

Oil made from lard.
IIRC, you take lard, and press it (cold) into some muslim

I'm sure you mean 'muslin' :-)

Any muslim would be horrified at having pig fat pressed into him/her!

Have you heard the one about he camel and the two bricks?

Mary

Andy Hall

wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message news:Bjzdc.31351$Y%

What's 'lard oil'?

Oil made from lard.
IIRC, you take lard, and press it (cold) into some muslim

I'm sure you mean 'muslin' :-)

Any muslim would be horrified at having pig fat pressed into him/her!

Mary

I read somewhere that the Israelis were putting quantities of lard on
buses to deter suicide bombers.

And jews, probably.

No, the stories are kosher, (to excuse an expression)....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3221079.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3159010.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3484277.stm