Andy Hall

Default DIY Cooking

On 9 Apr 2004 09:44:09 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

"Set Square" writes:
John Southern wrote:

Used to be a comedy series on ch4 called "home improvement" in it Tim
Allen presented a spoof show called tool time and they had an episode
about construction site cooking where a plumber made a grilled cheese
sandwich using his blowtorch.
Think its rerun on the Disney channel all the time.

Jon.

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a steam
roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back in the 1920's.
He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent new coal shovel for
cooking and - using a little lard oil (supplied for some part or other of
the steam engine) - would cook a breakfast of bacon and eggs over a roadside
brazier.

The shovels provided to steam locomotive crew by GWR reputedly had
holes drilled in them to prevent them being used to cook a fried
breakfast in the firebox.

What a rotten trick.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl