Set Square

Default DIY Cooking

Mary Fisher wrote:

Since we're lapsing into nostalgia, my late father used to drive a
steam roller (i.e. real steam - none of your diesel rubbish!) back
in the 1920's. He told me how the workmen would keep the most recent
new coal shovel for cooking and - using a little lard oil

What's 'lard oil'?

Mary

If you do a Google search on "lard oil", you'll get lots of hits - including
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/lard+oil - and another one about
its use as a lighthouse fuel in California - or yet another which says "Lard
oil is a fixed oil obtained by subjecting lard to heavy pressure without the
application of heat."

The impression I got from my father is that it's an animal-fat-derived oil
which is used as a lubricant - but you can also cook in it without it
poisoning you.
--
Cheers,
Set Square