Mary Fisher

Default DIY Cooking

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

No, the stories are kosher, (to excuse an expression)....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3221079.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3159010.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3484277.stm

Ah! They're put out by BBC so they must be true.

Mary

Mary Fisher

Have you heard the one about he camel and the two bricks?

Yes, about fifty years ago.

Mary

Andy Hall

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:58:51 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

No, the stories are kosher, (to excuse an expression)....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3221079.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3159010.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3484277.stm

Ah! They're put out by BBC so they must be true.

Well exactly.

I read yesterday that BBC3 is going to televise a sperm race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3614407.stm

Production assistants get asked to do a lot of things, but this may be
one too far.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| I read yesterday that BBC3 is going to televise a sperm race.

Well, they had the Great Egg Race years ago. Equal opportunities for sperm
and all that.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

No, the stories are kosher, (to excuse an expression)....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3221079.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3159010.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3484277.stm

Ah! They're put out by BBC so they must be true.

Well exactly.

I read yesterday that BBC3 is going to televise a sperm race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3614407.stm

Production assistants get asked to do a lot of things, but this may be
one too far.

I hope you enjoy it.

We don't have television so miss out on these gems.

Mary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Gibson" saying
something like:

I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

Handy for psoriasis, too.
--

Dave
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

I read somewhere that the Israelis were putting quantities of lard on
buses to deter suicide bombers.

And jews, probably.

No, the stories are kosher, (to excuse an expression)....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3221079.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3159010.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3484277.stm

Obviously April Fools' Day is different in Israel.
--

Dave
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember (N. Thornton)
saying something like:

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery?

Belle cement mixer for home-made muesli for a large family.

--

Dave
Mary Fisher

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember (N. Thornton)
saying something like:

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery?

I have a purpose-made attachment for the power drill to agitate my honey to
encourage granulation.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

How long have you got? Shall I mail you directly?

I'm off to wash up now but shall be back after lunch for a bit.

Mary

Andy Hall

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:55:31 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

encourage granulation.

Mary

One thing that I've always wondered. What is the difference between
the clear amber coloured honey and the more cloudy stuff that looks
like contact adhesive? Is it an issue of the plants that the bees
use, the bees or the production afterwards? If so what is done and
how does it work?

How long have you got? Shall I mail you directly?

Mary

I'd be pleased for you to mail me directly, Mary, although wasn't
looking to put you to a lot of trouble. I was just thinking in terms
of a few short notes or URLs. Perhaps others would also be
interested. You do seem to do some quite creative things.......

Many moons ago, I used to help two elderly sisters (they were in their
mid nineties then) with some of the harder work in their garden.
One of them kept bees and had, IIRC, about a dozen hives.
The various paraphernalia was kept in a large shed and included what I
imagined to be some kind of centrifuge. It was something like an
old fashioned laundry copper with a lid on the top and some mechanics
and a big handle rather like a mangle. It appeared that the wooden
frames that held the combs would be slotted into these. At any
rate, it looked like very hard work, but she certainly managed it.
Apart from that, she was very secretive about the whole process. She
would always manage to produce the most excellent honey....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

I'd be pleased for you to mail me directly, Mary, although wasn't
looking to put you to a lot of trouble.

It's no trouble. You know I like posting.

I was just thinking in terms
of a few short notes or URLs. Perhaps others would also be
interested.

OK then, but brief notes aren't adequate. URLs aren't always to be relied on
as I'm sure you know.

You do seem to do some quite creative things.......

That sounds as though you've been looking at our website.

Many moons ago, I used to help two elderly sisters (they were in their
mid nineties then) with some of the harder work in their garden.
One of them kept bees and had, IIRC, about a dozen hives.
The various paraphernalia was kept in a large shed and included what I
imagined to be some kind of centrifuge. It was something like an
old fashioned laundry copper with a lid on the top and some mechanics
and a big handle rather like a mangle. It appeared that the wooden
frames that held the combs would be slotted into these.

You're right on all counts although I'd be surprised if it were copper - at
least if it were it would be tinned inside. Copper is reactive and honey
would attack it. These days we're only allowed to use stainless steel
(expensive but strong and the best) or food grade plastic (cheaper but not
as durable) to come into contact with honey.

At any
rate, it looked like very hard work, but she certainly managed it.

It's not really hard work. Gearing helps. Although I suppose that if you're
in your nineties ... Hmm. But last Monday I went to the funeral of a 91 year
old beekeeper who first showed honey in his teens in the Crystal Palace. I
believe that he was still beekeeping last year, when he suffered a stroke.

Apart from that, she was very secretive about the whole process.

That's a shame and totally unnecessary. I don't like secrets of any
processes - that way skills are lost. Not honey extracting but in other
areas. It's daft - this ng is about sharing skills which is why I enjoy it.
I'll tell anyone about anything I do. The sad thing is that most people
can't be bothered.

She
would always manage to produce the most excellent honey....

No - the bees do that!

Lecture will follow. Make sure you have time to sit back and enjoy :-)

Mary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

MB

My hubby was cutting down some pine trees some years back using a Stihl
chain saw. A neighbor lady came outside and asked him if he could possibly
cut a large joint of lamb in two, as she didn't want to cook all of it at
once. So he did.

MB

An unusual use of a home appliance in cooking: an acquaintance of ours was
making pastry cake bases on a large scale at home and then delivering them
to bakeries. To speed up cracking the eggs, he used a quick spin of a
washing machine to separate the shells and eggs. Of course, the washing
machine was just for that, and not washing.

Mary Fisher

"MB" wrote in message
An unusual use of a home appliance in cooking: an acquaintance of ours was
making pastry cake bases on a large scale at home and then delivering them
to bakeries. To speed up cracking the eggs, he used a quick spin of a
washing machine to separate the shells and eggs. Of course, the washing
machine was just for that, and not washing.

Oh - we bought a spin drier with a gravity drain (not a pump) to extract
heather honey. Not used for anything else in this house but some beekeepers
have confessed that they also use theirs for their socks ...

We don't wear socks.

Mary

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote i
One thing that I've always wondered. What is the difference between
the clear amber coloured honey and the more cloudy stuff that looks
like contact adhesive? Is it an issue of the plants that the bees
use, the bees or the production afterwards? If so what is done and
how does it work?

How long have you got? Shall I mail you directly?

No!! Some of the rest of us are interested in what you have to say!

Sheila

Set Square

S Viemeister wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote i
One thing that I've always wondered. What is the difference
between the clear amber coloured honey and the more cloudy stuff
that looks like contact adhesive? Is it an issue of the plants
that the bees use, the bees or the production afterwards? If so
what is done and how does it work?

How long have you got? Shall I mail you directly?

No!! Some of the rest of us are interested in what you have to say!

Sheila

Then read Mary's interesting post of yesterday entitled "Different Honeys".
That will tell you all (and possibly more!) that you want to know.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Mary Fisher

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

How long have you got? Shall I mail you directly?

No!! Some of the rest of us are interested in what you have to say!

Sheila

See separate thread, Sheila :-)

Mary

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

How long have you got? Shall I mail you directly?

No!! Some of the rest of us are interested in what you have to say!

Sheila

See separate thread, Sheila :-)

I did, and printed it out for future reference.

Sheila

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

See separate thread, Sheila :-)

I did, and printed it out for future reference.

You'll run out of paper if you print everything I've said!

Mary

Sheila

Suz

wrote:

[...]

My granda had a dozen or so hives, and a big tin extractor. Along the verge
at the front of the house he had dandelions which he wouldn't scythe until
they were goiing to seed. the honey from that had a yellow tinge.

I can still remember a very hot day when most of the hives swarmed together.
Quite scary. Granda had 2 hip replacements and couldn't run. He got dozens
of stings, but as he rarely used his protective gear and got stung regularly
he was ok. Would have killed the ordinary bod.

My uncle keeps bees on a mountain as he says heather honey is the best.

used to have honey sandwiches with the comb as well. yum.

extraction attracted the bees and a few would get caught on the plate he
scraped the caps onto. he would eat it bees, legs and all. Used to make my
friends gag. funny.

those were the days.

Mary Fisher

"Suz" wrote in message

My granda had a dozen or so hives, and a big tin extractor. Along the

verge
at the front of the house he had dandelions which he wouldn't scythe until
they were goiing to seed. the honey from that had a yellow tinge.

Dandelions, apart from being very beautiful, are very good nectar producers.
Top fruit growers hire hives of bees to pollinate their trees but they
always make sure that the dandelions are cut first. Dandelions begin
producing nectar earlier in the day than the tree blossom and once honey
bees have started working - collecting from - one type of flower they won't
go to others until the first nectar source has finished.

I can still remember a very hot day when most of the hives swarmed

together.
Quite scary. Granda had 2 hip replacements and couldn't run.

Swarms really aren't scary ...

He got dozens
of stings, but as he rarely used his protective gear and got stung

regularly
he was ok. Would have killed the ordinary bod.

I doubt it.

My uncle keeps bees on a mountain as he says heather honey is the best.

Heather honey - ling heather that is, is, I consider, the finest honey. It
has special properties and is unlike other honeys.

used to have honey sandwiches with the comb as well. yum.

That's the best way to eat honey because it hasn't lost any flavour or scent
to the air. To have heather honey in the comb, warm from the hive, on fine
bread and good butter is a meal fit for kings.

drool

extraction attracted the bees

It does, they'll flock to the scent of honey. Extraction should always be
carried out in a bee proof room.

and a few would get caught on the plate he
scraped the caps onto. he would eat it bees, legs and all. Used to make

my
friends gag. funny.

They don't eat meat?

:-)