Matthew J.E. Durkin

Default broken zanussi washine machine (3rd time in 1.5 years)

Hi All,
about 1.5 years ago I bought a Zanussi washer dryer. Its the WJD1667W model,
which was supposed to be a really good one.
After 6 months, the dryer fan stopped working, machine got very hot and cut
out. I called the repair guy out under warranty. The guy took the lid off
and the damn fan worked fine. Nothing we could do would recreate the
problem. He replaced the fan. I questioned whether it might be a fault on
the control side, but he said it was unlikely.
6 months after this, just before the warranty expired the machine got to the
spin cycle at the end of a cycle and just kept going. half an hour later and
a lot of spinning (and the timer not counting down) I pulled the plug and
called him back again. Again we couldn't recreate the problem, he took the
lid off, poked around and told me it was my fault and that the load was
probably unbalanced. Appaerntly this machine is very sensitive to unbalanced
loads. I was inclined not to believe him, but there wasn't a lot I could do.
Now, another 6 months on and out of warranty, the machine stopped mid cycle
and is unable to drain itself. I have to drain it through the filter panel
to get the door release to operate. I've tried several times and it doesn't
drain. The drain pipe is clear (I can blow down it very easily, and hear the
air bubbles bubbling through the undrained water). The filter is also
completely free of stuff.

So what should I do? To get the service guy out is £60+VAT + parts. I think
Zanussi should just replace the machine - it's been nothing but fault after
fault. Additionally, there's only 2 of us, so it's not even heavily used.
Anyway - anyone else's experience here would be appreciated.

The second thing is, where could I get a service manual? I can't even get to
the pump at the moment - seems the whole machine is made in two halves, with
the drum attached with large springs. I'm really not sure how to get to the
pump, or whether this is even possible.

Any advice appreciated,
Matthew

Peter

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
[...]

Most likely some object jammed in pump, not necessary to strip machine at
all the pump is at the bottom right hand corner it simply slides out of the
filter housing it is held in by a plastic clip on the machine base. A new
pump is universal Ascoll type and very easy to obtain and cheap.

Peter

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that - so I'd need to get the machine on its side to get at the
pump from underneath right? Do you know whether I can check the pump is
getting power from the top of the machine (I can get the lid off easy). I
could get a multimeter onto anything accessible from the top easily before I
tip the machine over and go underneath.

Matt

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Just been under machine. mains is being supplied to pump. Is this relay
driven, or straight from a power semiconductor. If the latter, it might be
failing under load (I had to detach the leads to test). If relay, unlikely
to be load problem. Either way, could be pump.
Odd that the pump would fail given it's very new.
Any more advice much appreciated. Any idea on the exact pump?

Colin Wilson

Any more advice much appreciated.

Check uk.legal - it doesn`t sound as if the goods are of durable quality
to me, and you may have a claim against the place you purchased it from !

Peter

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

your making it very complicated just remove the pump and take out the
obstruction there will be no failing underload or such problems. Be carefull
to retain and refit the o ring seal on the pump, no need to tip machine on
its side just lean it back and slide out pump.

Peter

Peter

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/Ezee_FixS...nussi_976.html for
origional

http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/Ezee_FixS...ersal_975.html for
universal

Peter

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Any more advice much appreciated.

Check uk.legal - it doesn`t sound as if the goods are of durable quality
to me, and you may have a claim against the place you purchased it from !

Yes but maybe its customer misuse a object in pump for example

Peter

Conrad Edwards

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message ...
Hi All,
about 1.5 years ago I bought a Zanussi washer dryer. Its the WJD1667W model,
which was supposed to be a really good one.
After 6 months, the dryer fan stopped working, machine got very hot and cut
out. I called the repair guy out under warranty. The guy took the lid off
and the damn fan worked fine. Nothing we could do would recreate the
problem. He replaced the fan. I questioned whether it might be a fault on
the control side, but he said it was unlikely.

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Realistically you will probably have to call out the engineer to at
least have a working machine unless you have a nearby launderette. Is
there another engineer you can call out, maybe a local guy, as the
prodder you get seems to be just that.

The machine may be out of warranty, but Sale of Goods Act does state
the goods should be 'durable'. I would contact the retailer and
explain that the machine isn't durable and ask for a partial refund
(to allow for usage). Make sure you state you bought a Zanussi because
of its higher reputation for quality. If they don't play ball then
maybe a Small Claims Court action?
I've no idea what the chances of winning would be - the retailer may
fight it just to stop a precedent being set for refunds. More than
likely they would settle before it reaches court to disallow that
precendent.
If they have a shop, then I'd go in when they are busy and start
complaining about the breakdowns and how they have left you high and
dry. If they threaten to call the Police even better, then just ring
up the local newspaper for a good story.

If you're looking for the pump, then I would imagine it would be very
low down so it can pump all the water out and be fed by gravity.
Taking off the drain hose to the pump will obviously help drain the
machine, but very wet.
When we had a WD the problems we had were poor drying as the valves
that operated the water cooling wouldn't work. The thermocouples would
also not regulate the temp very well even when the water cooling was
working, and the whole lot would just cut out.
In the end our WD was so unreliable that we junked it (after 2 years
and about six breakdowns). We didn't try to get any refund as we had
enough of it and didn't want any more hassle.
Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Peter,
I have the machine on its side so I can see everything more clearly. I can
see the pump is fixed to the filter housing, but where's the clip. I'm
damned if I can locate it. There's a big plastic heatshield (?) running
round the back to protect the outlet pipe from the pump (and the pump was
damned hot after it's last attempt to work)
I can see a few screws but they seem to be holding the two halves of the
pump itself together.
I suspect if I can get the pump out and claen it out it will be just fine.
We have very high calcium in the water so it could well just be a lot of
limescale build up (or a load of my other half's long hair).
Appreciate your help so far - if you know where the clip is I'd be much
obliged to you if you could reply!
Many thanks,
Matthew

N. Thornton

Colin Wilson wrote in message et...
Any more advice much appreciated.

Check uk.legal - it doesn`t sound as if the goods are of durable quality
to me, and you may have a claim against the place you purchased it from !

I would expect so too, but there is the question of proof. People have
a habit of making scenarios up and sitting back to seee if you can
prove them wrong. From your story it would appear you might have no
evidence at all.

NT
N. Thornton

[...]

If youd bought your machine used,
a) you would have paid less
b) you'd dump it and buy another
c) you wouldnt go through all this hassle with repair co's
d) you would expect the odd failure and not not be emotionally hung up over the loss
e) after buying a replacement machine you would STILL have paid out less in total.

NT
Matthew J.E. Durkin

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Colin Wilson wrote in message
et...
Any more advice much appreciated.

Check uk.legal - it doesn`t sound as if the goods are of durable quality
to me, and you may have a claim against the place you purchased it from !

I would expect so too, but there is the question of proof. People have
a habit of making scenarios up and sitting back to seee if you can
prove them wrong. From your story it would appear you might have no
evidence at all.

NT

Not sure what you mean by proof - I have had the engineer back twice under
warranty, already had the blower fan replaced (and 2 other parts at the same
time), and now it's not working. They would be welcome to inspect the
machine for excessive wear etc to find out if I've been runnnig a laundrette
from my kitchen!
But to be honest, it's probably too much hassle to even bother holding them
to the letter of the law (sufficient durability). It's difficult to say what
is sufficient durability. My parents had a machine that failed 3 times in 20
years (all those at least once/twice daily family washes when I was growing
up). Mine has failed 3 times in 18 months with just two of us using it - and
this is supposed to be their top model.
I need it fixed as I have to wash my clothes - so going down any kind of
legal route and living without a washing machine for 6 months whilst it gets
sorted isn't an option. What I will do is probably replace the pump myself
(or at least strip it down and see if it is serviceable, and never ever buy
Zanussi again. Ever!
My Bosch fridge is still working floorlessly - if it keeps it up, maybe I'll
stick to Bosch. My panasonic vacuum has spent 2 years sucking up bits of
plaster and rubble as I've decorated my house and without a complaint. I
wouldn't mind at all if it broke as it's been amazing. In comparison the
washing machine has had a very low use level and has broken 3 times.

Sorry - wasn't meant to be a rant, but I'm am displeased with Zanussi. I'm
sure you can understand the frustrating situation that this is!

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Emotionally hung up :O) I'm just a bit ****ed off! that's funny. LOL.
You're right I could have bought an old one, or a cheaper one. As it is I
got a new one expecting it to go a bit longer before breaking down (fair
assumption?)
I won't be loosing sleep over it :O)
Matt

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

ok pump removed, serviced and replaced. That's the good bit.
Bad bit: Turned machine on and before any cycle selected it started pumping.
Even worse, a small whisp of smoke came out of the white controller unit
under the top cover (I had the top off).
Is the controller likely to have had it? Not sure what caused it to do
this - maybe the continuous load of the jammed up pump?

Anyway - it pumps, I can select wash cycles etc, but I cannot start them,
and it just continuously pumps whenever the mains is on.
Think this is going to get expensive :O(
Help!
Matt

Peter

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

oooppps that spells disaster sounds like you got water onto either the pump
or controller and blown something. You may just may be lucky you could have
air locked the pressure system with putting the machine on its side. Look
for small bore rubber pipes running up the side of the cabinet from the tub
sump upto either 1 or usuallly 2 round pressure switches attached to the
top frame, remove these hoses from the switches and blow down them then
replace and try again. If this does not work sounds like pcb blown, do you
set this by buttons rarther than a rotary knob ? if so the machine will
self diagnose faults and can be read by an engineer.

Peter

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

yea it's set using buttons rather than a dial - any clue how diagmostic
works? I'll try clearing the hoses like you suggest...
:O(

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

No luck. Funny buzzing sound from controller now, then nothing. can select
wash cycles, but not start any of them. Think it might have been washing
conditioner that ran in there. Looks like a difficult part to remove judging
by the number of wires running into it. Any idea where I could get a
replacement? This is a nightmare!
Thanks,
Matt

Peter

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed it is, turn off machine press and hold the green and grey buttons
together then turn on machine with power button keeping the two depressed
machine should start to flash lights in display indicating engineers mode.
depress the bottom wash selector in the second row in should indicate last
stored fault.

Peter

Peter

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Out of interest what was stuck in the pump ?

Peter

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in
message
"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in

message
"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

absolutely nothing. It was difficult to turn - crappy cheapo bearings or
incorrect lubricant is my guess. I stripped it down and re-applied a bit of
oil and it was running free. I know it works as the first thing the machine
did when I turned it on was run the pump. That's before it went doolally and
started smoking.
Will probably call zanussi servicing person now and they can sort this mess
out. Looking on the web I reckon at least £100 for a new control module,
though I can't find one for my specific machine... Then there's the £60+vat
labour...
:O(

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in
message
"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in

message

+
[...]

Last error is E51 - any idea what that is? It's not in the Instruction
Booklet.

Peter

Last error is E51 - any idea what that is? It's not in the Instruction
Booklet.

E51 That is Triac which powers the motor is short-circuited (Triac
short-circuit cut-out activated on main pcb controller) Loss of insulation
on main pcb. All cycles blocked with door closed after 5 attempts.

Peter

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

Last error is E51 - any idea what that is? It's not in the Instruction
Booklet.

E51 That is Triac which powers the motor is short-circuited (Triac
short-circuit cut-out activated on main pcb controller) Loss of insulation
on main pcb. All cycles blocked with door closed after 5 attempts.

Peter

Are you a zanussi engineer?! Yea the door lock is activated. So assuming
this is the problem - is the controller PCB serviceable?
I could always pull it out and have a visual inspection. Clean off any of
the conditioner I think may have got in there and try again.
Perhaps more strange is that after I run the engineering mode, as soon as I
power off then on, it starts some kind of wash cycle - motor running, pump
pumping etc but beeping every second - this seems contrary to a short on the
motor triac? At this point it won't let me do anything. Once I power the
machine again it's back to the same state - door locked, wash cycle
selection working fine, but it refuses to start (or unlock the door).
I'll try and strip out the unit tomorrow night and have a look inside. Is
there any way I can test components with the board out of the machine and
not powered on?
Don't suppose you have a circuit diagram or know where i could get one. If
it's just a problem on the power drive side of the circuit, triacs are quite
cheap. I might be able to service it...
Thanks again,
Matt

Peter

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

you can test each component in engineers mode which will flash an error
where it fails.

go into engineers mode as before by pressing start/pause and skip/reset
simultaneously turn on machine hold the two buttons down until buzzer
sounds. At this stage leds light in sequence now 1/ press the fabrics butto
n top led lights machine fills main wash compartment 2/ press fabrics fills
prewash 3/ press fabrics fills fabric conditioner 4/ press fabrics hot water
fill (if fitted) 5/press fabrics heating 6/ press temp motor drum 250rpm
tests motor 7/ press temp drain and spin max speed and test pressure
switches 8/ press temp test drying components

important To reset machine from engineers mode turn off then on then off
again

So i suggest you do this and see if it fails the motor test good luck

Peter

Matthew J.E. Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

thanks for all the help.
I can get into engineers mode, but when I press fabrics, I can cycle through
the various options (different wash light light up), but nothing else
happens - just E51 or EE0 on the display and a 1 second beep. The machine
always starts filling the main wash after first power cycle. When in eng
mode and I press temp button, I get 0-0 on display and by pressing it
repeatedly I can cycle through 0-1 0-2 etc. A hidden LED below all the
others also lights at times.
No matter what I press during engineering mode though, the machine doesn't
do anything - do I need to press anything else to start the test? It doesn't
seem to matter what I have pressed but after first power cycle it always
does the same thing with filling the main wash and rotating the drum back
and forth.
Cheers,
Matt

Stefek Zaba

Matt

You need to ensure everything is dry

Peter

He does - sounds like his PCB is recovering more function as it dries,
but he'd be well-advised to take it right out, wash well with water and
rinse with distilled water to get the hell rid of the fabric conditioner
or whatever other gunge got spilt and will, if left, slowly corrode away
PCB tracks and knacker electrolytics. After a good wash it should be
left to dry out fully (airing cupboard ideal) before replacement - you
want any moisture trapped underneath components to evaporate away too.

And both of you could make the thread less of a pain to follow by
*snipping*. Bottom posting is definitely the right way to go, but doing
so while relentlessly including - at ever-increasing quoting level - the
entire preceeding exchange undermines its usefulness.

HTH - Stefek
N. Thornton

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message ...

Emotionally hung up :O) I'm just a bit ****ed off! that's funny. LOL.

****ed off, delayed and mucked about I imagine. If I lost a used
machine costing 65 I'd shrug and go get another one, same day or next
day. There are enough immaculate 2 yo machines about, and washing
machine technology is a slow moving field.

You're right I could have bought an old one, or a cheaper one. As it is I
got a new one expecting it to go a bit longer before breaking down (fair
assumption?)

I wonder. The bathtub curve tells us that most failures are in the
early days and at end of life, the failure rate between those times is
much lower. So by buying second hand one avoids the early high failure
rate altogether, but the late onset of high failure rate comes 2 years
sooner. I dont know what the numbers are, but I would have thought
that used machines were just as reliable as new - as long as theyre
recent and in good condition when bought. The fact that when buying
used you can get a better make for your money will affect the
reliability positively as well.

But for me what really decides it is the repair process. Nearly all
machines break down one day, what happens then? With a used machine I
evaluate it next day, and either fix it or dump it and go buy another.
Downtime 2 days. With a new machine covered by warranties there is an
emotional tie there that means I'm not going to just sling it, I'm
going to chase the manufacturer or supplier... it takes many days, is
ntohing but aggro, and I may or may not get a satisfactory result.
Downtime: 1 week plus, plus aggro.

NT
Matthew J.E. Durkin

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You know - your strategy might be worth considering. Next time mine blows up
(and my hopes aren't high), I'll be looking for the two year old, 1 previous
elderly owner, low mileage etc

Matthew J.E. Durkin

SNIP
broken machine ya de ya de rant etc
amateur taking machine apart making things worse....
SNIP
:O)

By some miracle the machine is working. I figured if I left it be for 24
hours it would dry out (my kitchen is quite warm).
Fingers crossed it keeps working! It just completed a 'quick' cycle followed
by a normal cotton cycle - both bcak to normal
I kind of feel like taking some of my annoyance at Zanussi back - for the
circuit to survive an electrical short (or several) it must have been built
with a pertty good level of short circuit protection in mind. (assuming the
smoke was the conditioner burning off and not a power semiconductor -
fingers crossed)
Anyway - I'll see how much longer it goes till something else goes or the
pump jams again. I'll be tipping the thing in the other direction if I need
to get at the pump again.
Is it possible to obtain a circuit diagram of the controller? If the power
side does fail down the line due to the stress it's had, it would be very
helpful if I could get hold of the circuit diagram. Years ago I got one for
my panasonic ghetto blaster and manged to diagnose a failed power chip and 3
blown electronic fuses. Cost me £15 in parts but is still going strong 10
years on. I shouldn't really have tried hooking it up to the car battery
whilst camping... :O)
One last thing - does the power button on the front isolate the machine? I
want ot cut power to the controller module when I'm not around just in
case...
Massive thanks to everyone who helped me out - particularly Peter.
Matt

Stefek Zaba

Matthew J.E. Durkin wrote:
SNIP
broken machine ya de ya de rant etc
amateur taking machine apart making things worse....
SNIP
:O)

Much appreciated ;-)

By some miracle the machine is working. I figured if I left it be for 24
hours it would dry out (my kitchen is quite warm).
Fingers crossed it keeps working! It just completed a 'quick' cycle followed
by a normal cotton cycle - both bcak to normal

Super! You now have a judgment call to make: leave well alone, hoping
that the PCB will continue working fine (but running the risk that odd
deposits from the fabric conditioner will knacker sthg delicate over the
next month or six; a lowish risk, I'd guess, since fabric conditioner
isn't full of particularly corrosive/aggressive chemicals, AFAIK); or
run the risk of screwing sthg up while doing the "proper" rinse-n-dry
thing. Your choice!

One last thing - does the power button on the front isolate the machine? I
want ot cut power to the controller module when I'm not around just in
case...

I doubt it's the very first port of call for the incoming volts. If you
want to be sure of cutting power except when its in use, the switch by
the plug is your reliable friend (or FCU above worktop if that's the way
the socket's been set up in your kitchen).

Cheers, Stefek
Peter

One last thing - does the power button on the front isolate the machine?

want ot cut power to the controller module when I'm not around just in
case...

From the module yes it does and its double pole

I doubt it's the very first port of call for the incoming volts. If you
want to be sure of cutting power except when its in use, the switch by
the plug is your reliable friend (or FCU above worktop if that's the way
the socket's been set up in your kitchen).

Cheers, Stefek

I think we went through that argument in another thread a week or two ago
about dp switches above worktops
So yes turn it off there thats whats it for lol

Peter