shrubby

Default Zanussi washer dryer problem

I have an erratic problem with the dryer of a Zanussi WDJ1294. Mostly,
it switches off after one to two minutes, regardless of the timer
setting. It does sometimes operate properly however, that is, it dries
for the set period of time; this tends to happen when the drier hasn't
been used for a while.

Suggestions on possible cause of problem would be much appreciated.
Mike Tomlinson

In article , shrubby
writes

I have an erratic problem with the dryer of a Zanussi WDJ1294. Mostly,
it switches off after one to two minutes, regardless of the timer
setting. It does sometimes operate properly however, that is, it dries
for the set period of time; this tends to happen when the drier hasn't
been used for a while.

I had the exact same problem with a Zanussi WDT1081. The fault appeared
when the machine was only two years old and Zanussi refused to
countenance a warranty repair. An engineer from a local repair shop I
called out said he thought it was the mechanical timer and quoted
£120+VAT to replace it.

So we bought a standalone tumble dryer and continued to use the washer
part of the machine (which still worked) for another 8 years - until
earlier this year, when it began stopping at random points during the
wash cycle and refusing to continue, sometimes sitting idle, sometimes
washing endlessly, sometimes pumping endlessly - until the timer was
manually clicked on.

At that point I called it a day and scrapped the machine. The
replacement was /not/ a Zanussi.

Reckless

You cannot really expect Zanussi to honour a repair charge for something
that went wrong 12 months after the warranty expired?

I'm (so far) very happy with my Zanussi - a WDJ1660 - after 6 years and 5/6
(can't remember) expensive repair bills for my super whizzy Hotpoint
electronic washer dryer. It broke 1 month out of warranty, then a couple of
years later and again and again (all different problems) then it literally
destroyed itself. The entire set of mechanical parts within the machine were
replaced The final nail was the electronic programmer. Having spent the
last couple of years with a few programmes less than it should have, it just
gave up. The "5 year parts are free" warranty with Hotpoint had expired and
so I drove the machine to the tip Even though parts were free, the labour
charge was quite steep!

AEG always come out high in reliability but I personally couldn't justify 2*
the intial cost Bosch were also quoted as better than average. Zanussi
were quoted as not far different so I took a chance. The machine looks
great, has good energy ratings and is very quiet. So far a happy wash bunny!

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , shrubby
writes

[...]

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Reckless
writes

You cannot really expect Zanussi to honour a repair charge for something
that went wrong 12 months after the warranty expired?

I do, actually, given that my perception is that I paid a premium at the
time (10 years ago) for the Zanussi brand name and quality.

If I buy a £179 Chinkypoo widescreen TV from Kwik Save and it blows up
after 18 months, I shrug my shoulders. If I spend four times the price
on a high-range Toshiba or JVC set (see the widescreen tube thread), I
expect the maker to stand behind their product even though it may
notionally be out of warranty. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned.

btw, Happy New Year to all!

shrubby

(Neil Jones) wrote in message om...
(shrubby) wrote in message om...
I have an erratic problem with the dryer of a Zanussi WDJ1294. Mostly,
it switches off after one to two minutes, regardless of the timer
setting. It does sometimes operate properly however, that is, it dries
for the set period of time; this tends to happen when the drier hasn't
been used for a while.

Suggestions on possible cause of problem would be much appreciated.

Could be the dryer fan unit. My parents and I both have a WJD1265 and
the fan unti on both of these stopped working - the service engineer
for my parnets said it's a very common problem on these machines - the
bearing can seize quite easily.

If you take the lid off the machine the fan is on the top, at the back
on the right hand side, as you look at the it from the front. You'll
see 2 pulleys connected by a belt - if this moves very easily then
look elsewhere. If it is stiff then this could well be your problem.

I fixed mine by liveral application of WD40 to the spindle the
rearmost pulley. Of course, I managed to lubricate the belt as well,
but I cleaned that off with some methylated spirit. I found that to
get it working again I had to start the machine in drying mode, and
then give the pulley a helping hand, just to get started. After that
it's worked fine.

Hope this helps

Neil

Neil,
Many thanks for your detailed response regarding this problem, the fan
unit will be the first thing I'll check, always assuming I manage to
get the lid off the machine!

Thanks also to the other respondees(?)for your thoughts on the matter.

Happy New Year!
Brian Shrubsall

Tumble Dryer problem John Kelly UK diy 5 November 11th 03 06:47 PM
Zanussi Washer Dryer Error Codes Geraint UK diy 1 October 7th 03 12:02 AM
Hotpoint Washer problem Christian McArdle UK diy 1 September 8th 03 12:34 PM