Mat

Default Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector

Dear All,

Yesterday I returned to my Zanussi FL 1085 washing machine to find it
happily boiling my clothes. Not what I expected on a 40 degree wash.
The program selector dial was not moving and still close to the start
of the program despite having being run for an hour. I twisted the
dial round to drain the machine. The machine drained but kept on
draining, not advancing to the stop position. I switched it off and
got the lid off and had a look. The program selector circuit board has
now got two obvious burn out marks on it so is likely to be knackered.
I think perhaps the small motor that turns the dial by itself may have
burnt out as this would be consistent with the fact that it didn't
advance through the program.

Anyway a new program dial unit with circuit board seems to cost around
116 quid at the cheapest. If I replace this unit how likely is it that
the machine will work ok again? What I'm trying to guage is how common
is it for a timer/program unit to fail on its own or is there likely
to be some other failure in the machine? What I want to avoid is
spending 116 quid only to find out I need to spend another 100 quid
and so on. The machine is 6 years old and so I'm half tempted to buy a
new cheap machine which will come with 12 months guarentee at least.

If I decide to go for a new machine are there any recommendations for
a cheapie? Argos are selling a Candy for 189.99 quid and my local
Comet has a discontinued Zanussi aqualine 1000 for 209 quid, which of
these would make more sense?

Thanks in advance for all comments!

Mat.

BigWallop

"Mat" wrote in message
Dear All,

Yesterday I returned to my Zanussi FL 1085 washing machine to find it
happily boiling my clothes. Not what I expected on a 40 degree wash.
The program selector dial was not moving and still close to the start
of the program despite having being run for an hour. I twisted the
dial round to drain the machine. The machine drained but kept on
draining, not advancing to the stop position. I switched it off and
got the lid off and had a look. The program selector circuit board has
now got two obvious burn out marks on it so is likely to be knackered.
I think perhaps the small motor that turns the dial by itself may have
burnt out as this would be consistent with the fact that it didn't
advance through the program.

The programmer is run from small motors on the back. These motors are
replaceable and you may not need the whole unit.

If you look at the back of the timer unit and you'll see two disks, usually
metal clad, fixed with clips. If you remove one at a time and switch the
machine on to a low temp wash. Slowly click the timer around, one click at
a time, and see if the little motors are turning.

Don't waste money on buying the whole unit if it's just these little motors.

Anyway a new program dial unit with circuit board seems to cost around
116 quid at the cheapest. If I replace this unit how likely is it that
the machine will work ok again? What I'm trying to guage is how common
is it for a timer/program unit to fail on its own or is there likely
to be some other failure in the machine? What I want to avoid is
spending 116 quid only to find out I need to spend another 100 quid
and so on. The machine is 6 years old and so I'm half tempted to buy a
new cheap machine which will come with 12 months guarentee at least.

If I decide to go for a new machine are there any recommendations for
a cheapie? Argos are selling a Candy for 189.99 quid and my local
Comet has a discontinued Zanussi aqualine 1000 for 209 quid, which of
these would make more sense?

Thanks in advance for all comments!

Mat.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Walking washing machine Jackie UK diy 6 July 7th 03 08:08 PM
Hoover "Softwave" Washing Machine Heating Element Chris UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 09:24 PM