Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ptfe on olives?

Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred pretended :
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, I might smear a bit of Plumbers Mait around it if I have doubts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 08:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
fred pretended :
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, I might smear a bit of Plumbers Mait around it if I have doubts.

I prefer mine with a dash of salt and few other veggies. Easier to
digest
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 8:44:38 AM UTC+1, undefined wrote:
fred pretended :
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, I might smear a bit of Plumbers Mait around it if I have doubts.

+1

You can get sealing compounds for potable water too if it is a slight weep that is causing a problem.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:

Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

Not as a general rule...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Olives what? Sounds like a fetish I'd not heard of, who is Olive?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" wrote in message
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

I've only just figured out what you meant.

The standard advice is that you should not, presumably on the principle
that any foreign matter across the sealing face could prevent the
formation of a good seal.

While that might (or might not) be true of, say, hemp, I don't believe
it would be an issue for PTFE because of its very low "flow pressure".

That said, personally I avoid putting it over an olive but I *do* use it
on the male threaded portion, because the low friction means you get
more "pinch" for a given torque.

It does not, in general, provide sealing even with multiple layers of
tape on the threads because there is still likely to be a leak path back
along the pipe. Although for tap connectors, lengths of tape twisted
into a rope and wound round the pipe as a sort of backup to the fibre
washer will sometimes provide a seal, especially for DHW where the
pressure is lower than the cold main.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

Yes. When I'm forced to use a compression fitting.

It does no harm and not as messy as a paste.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

without fail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, it shouts of amateur. I prefer to use any other lubricant if it is
necessary. Petroleum jelly if potable.

PTFE should be confined to threads IMHO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, it shouts of amateur.

Oddly, it was a pro I got the tip from. Long before newsnet.

I prefer to use any other lubricant if it is
necessary. Petroleum jelly if potable.

It's not acting as a lubricant. More of a sealer.

PTFE should be confined to threads IMHO.

The threads pay no part in sealing a compression fitting.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, it shouts of amateur.

Oddly, it was a pro I got the tip from. Long before newsnet.

I prefer to use any other lubricant if it is
necessary. Petroleum jelly if potable.

It's not acting as a lubricant. More of a sealer.

You've contradicted this statement below?

PTFE should be confined to threads IMHO.

The threads pay no part in sealing a compression fitting.

I meant threaded fittings and not compression fittings, such as taper
threads etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

NEVER!

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, it shouts of amateur.

Oddly, it was a pro I got the tip from. Long before newsnet.

I prefer to use any other lubricant if it is
necessary. Petroleum jelly if potable.

It's not acting as a lubricant. More of a sealer.

You've contradicted this statement below?

PTFE should be confined to threads IMHO.

The threads pay no part in sealing a compression fitting.

I meant threaded fittings and not compression fittings, such as taper
threads etc.

The question was about PTFE on an olive? Using it there helps the seal
between the ends of the threaded part that the olive bears on. It might
reduce friction too - but then I always tighten compression fittings till
they groan. ;-)

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, it shouts of amateur.

Oddly, it was a pro I got the tip from. Long before newsnet.

I prefer to use any other lubricant if it is
necessary. Petroleum jelly if potable.

It's not acting as a lubricant. More of a sealer.

You've contradicted this statement below?

PTFE should be confined to threads IMHO.

The threads pay no part in sealing a compression fitting.

I meant threaded fittings and not compression fittings, such as taper
threads etc.

The question was about PTFE on an olive? Using it there helps the seal
between the ends of the threaded part that the olive bears on. It might
reduce friction too - but then I always tighten compression fittings till
they groan. ;-)

One of the times that ptfe on the thread of a compression fitting helps
- you are able to work much quieter without all the squeaking and
groaning :-)

(also good for restricted spaces which need short spanners, you can get
better tightening)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:08:53 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
[...]

So we are all agreed on this then ?
I had not heard of it until recently. We use a pressure pump and water tank to move water around the garden. The pressure tank seal failed so the whole caboodle had to be removed from its little house behind the garage, which involved breaking all the various connections. A real PITA and given that access is restricted once it had been reinstalled I was concerned to ensure all connections were water tight (plumbing is not my forte) so googled which was better ptfe or Boss White plus hemp and came across a discussion about ptfe and olives.
Anyway I tried it on a few connections and all connections were perfect when reinstalled.
I think after reading this thread I will wrap olives in ptfe in future as a belt and braces answer.
Thanks to all who responded
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun 2021 at 08:21:37 BST, "fred" wrote:

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:08:53 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
[...]

The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe *under* the
olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to slightly scratched
or deformed pipe.

When I first used compression joints I discovered an indirect disadvantage of
using PTFE tape. It is possible to get a good watertight seal without
tightening the fitting to the point that the pipe is deformed by the olive.
The practical disadvantage of doing this is that the pipe can then pull out of
the fitting, even just with water pressure if both pipes are not mechanically
fixed elsewhere. This is a bad thing. A quarter turn after the nut is tight
to stop the fitting coming apart is vital. The advantage of tape is only seen
if pipe damage means this on its own would not be enough to prevent leaks.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
So we are all agreed on this then ? I had not heard of it until
recently. We use a pressure pump and water tank to move water around the
garden. The pressure tank seal failed so the whole caboodle had to be
removed from its little house behind the garage, which involved breaking
all the various connections. A real PITA and given that access is
restricted once it had been reinstalled I was concerned to ensure all
connections were water tight (plumbing is not my forte) so googled which
was better ptfe or Boss White plus hemp and came across a discussion
about ptfe and olives. Anyway I tried it on a few connections and all
connections were perfect when reinstalled. I think after reading this
thread I will wrap olives in ptfe in future as a belt and braces answer.

Wrapping the olive with PTFE will do no harm. IMHO it gives a better
chance of a good seal too. And unlike any other sealer gunge doesn't go
off in storage. Or make a mess of your hands, etc. And is very cheap.

Hemp and boss white was never used on any compression fitting I've ever
seen. More for a plain treaded connection, where the thread is the seal.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Wrapping the olive with PTFE will do no harm. IMHO it gives a better
chance of a good seal too. And unlike any other sealer gunge doesn't go
off in storage. Or make a mess of your hands, etc. And is very cheap.

Hemp and boss white was never used on any compression fitting I've ever
seen.

I don't routinely use any gunge on compression fittings, but have used
LS-X on problem ones (both copper and plastic waste) to good effect, it
has a very long shelf life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Wrapping the olive with PTFE will do no harm. IMHO it gives a better
chance of a good seal too. And unlike any other sealer gunge doesn't go
off in storage. Or make a mess of your hands, etc. And is very cheap.

Hemp and boss white was never used on any compression fitting I've ever
seen.

I don't routinely use any gunge on compression fittings, but have used
LS-X on problem ones (both copper and plastic waste) to good effect, it
has a very long shelf life.

Not here, it doesn't. Once opened. Not in my terms as a DIY plumber.

But can't say I've ever had a problem with a compression fitting. Others,
like tap connectors, yes.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
[...]

Well as ever there is some variation in opinion.

I had not heard of it until recently. We use a pressure pump and
water tank to move water around the garden. The pressure tank seal
failed so the whole caboodle had to be removed from its little house
behind the garage, which involved breaking all the various
connections. A real PITA and given that access is restricted once it
had been reinstalled I was concerned to ensure all connections were
water tight (plumbing is not my forte) so googled which was better
ptfe or Boss White plus hemp and came across a discussion about ptfe
and olives. Anyway I tried it on a few connections and all
connections were perfect when reinstalled. I think after reading this
thread I will wrap olives in ptfe in future as a belt and braces
answer. Thanks to all who responded

Personally I never wrap olives in PTFE as a routine thing, although I
have done it once or twice in extreme circumstances. I don't find it to
be necessary on a regular basis. If the parts are clean and undamaged
then the olive will work just fine on its own. Note however I do keep a
stock of new olives - so will not try to re-use ones in a questionable
condition.

Usually if a compression fitting was made successfully the first time,
just separating it and re-making it is usually easy and successful. What
can be more variable if reusing a back nut and olive on a pipe, with a
new compression body (say when changing a radiator valve) - since the
distance of the olive from the end of the pipe matters if it's too long
for the depth of the pocket on the new fitting)

Using PTFE on the threads of a compression fittings, tends to raise
screams of "bodge", "amateur", and "pointless" from those "in the know"
- but this seems to be because they believe that the tape was used to
aid sealing. They are of course correct that since the threads of a
compression fitting don't serve as a sealing surface, tape here can't
help. What they are failing to understand is that tape here is not
*intended*[1] to aid sealing directly, but to act as a lubricant, making
it easier (and quieter) to get adequate compression of the olive by the
back nut. Once could of course use a more traditional grease or pipe
fitting lubricant, although that does tend to get a bit more messy.

[1] I suppose you have to allow for the part of the Venn diagram where
the fitter mistakenly believed that tape on the threads would act as a
sealer, in which case the cry of "amateur" etc would be justified :-)

Boss white and hemp is a traditional solution but is not acceptable for
use on drinking / wholesome / potable water supplies since it can
harbour microbial growth. There is a boss green that can be used, but
hemp is still forbidden. (Although for a garden watering systems, the
rules don't apply)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 10:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Wrapping the olive with PTFE will do no harm. IMHO it gives a better
chance of a good seal too. And unlike any other sealer gunge doesn't go
off in storage. Or make a mess of your hands, etc. And is very cheap.

Hemp and boss white was never used on any compression fitting I've ever
seen.

I don't routinely use any gunge on compression fittings, but have used
LS-X on problem ones (both copper and plastic waste) to good effect, it
has a very long shelf life.

Yup IME LS-X will fix pretty much any poor joint that would be very
difficult to fix properly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't routinely use any gunge on compression fittings, but have used
LS-X on problem ones (both copper and plastic waste) to good effect,
it has a very long shelf life.

Yup IME LS-X will fix pretty much any poor joint that would be very
difficult to fix properly.

Difficult in this case was one leg of a radiator pipe that was perhaps
1/16" too short to snug-up as it used to, after laying a wooden floor on
top of the floorboards, didn't want to rip up the floor in order to
extend the pipe with a coupler from below floorboards level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive that did
not easily allow room for ape underneath. I don't do it now, as failed joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the pipe and
there are no visible scratches. But when I did it was always possible.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun 2021 at 12:58:17 BST, "Roger Hayter" wrote:

On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive that did
not easily allow room for ape underneath. I don't do it now, as failed
joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the pipe and
there are no visible scratches. But when I did it was always possible.

Or indeed 'tape'.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 12:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive that did
not easily allow room for tape underneath. I don't do it now, as failed joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the pipe and
there are no visible scratches. But when I did it was always possible.

underneath???.....you will be telling us next like brian reay did that
you can remove the olive after the joint has been tightened...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/06/2021 12:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive that did
not easily allow room for tape underneath. I don't do it now, as failed joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the pipe and
there are no visible scratches. But when I did it was always possible.

underneath???.....you will be telling us next like brian reay did that
you can remove the olive after the joint has been tightened...tee hee

You can, if the thing isn't properly tightened. Likely why so many use
gunge on it. Lots seem worried about stripping the threads.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jun 2021 at 08:59:33 BST, ""Jim GM4DHJ ...""
wrote:

On 11/06/2021 12:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive that did
not easily allow room for tape underneath. I don't do it now, as failed
joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the pipe
and
there are no visible scratches. But when I did it was always possible.

underneath???.....you will be telling us next like brian reay did that
you can remove the olive after the joint has been tightened...tee hee

Actually if you put tape under and over the olive you can make a watertight
joint without deforming either the pipe or the olive. But I *don't recommend*
it. Because the joint can disassemble itself under slight mechanical force or
even water pressure.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 08:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/06/2021 12:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Roger Hayter wrote:
Â* The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
Â* *under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
Â* slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the
tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive
that did
not easily allow room for tape underneath.Â* I don't do it now, as
failed joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the
pipe and
there are no visible scratches.Â* But when I did it was always possible.

underneath???.....you will be telling us next like brian reay did that
you can remove the olive after the joint has been tightened...tee hee

you can, so long as the joint has been disassembled. Going to be
significantly more difficult if the joint is still done up though!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 12/06/2021 08:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/06/2021 12:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

I have a set of 15mm olive cutters to remove olives, so that I can reuse
the back nut.
--
Chee

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2021 12:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the
pipe *under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive
to seal to slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the
tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive
that did not easily allow room for tape underneath. I don't do it
now, as failed joints with standard tightening are very rare in
practice if you polish the pipe and there are no visible scratches.
But when I did it was always possible.

underneath???.....you will be telling us next like brian reay did that
you can remove the olive after the joint has been tightened...tee hee

Actually if you put tape under and over the olive you can make a
watertight joint without deforming either the pipe or the olive. But I
*don't recommend* it. Because the joint can disassemble itself under
slight mechanical force or even water pressure.

I'd not recommend that if it is expected to last leak free.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
you can, so long as the joint has been disassembled. Going to be
significantly more difficult if the joint is still done up though!

I have a set of 15mm olive cutters to remove olives, so that I can reuse
the back nut.

Just carefully cut across the olive with a hacksaw, and stop before you
hit the pipe. A screwdriver in that slot then splits it. And if you buy
spare olives, you can re-use the entire thing.

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
you can, so long as the joint has been disassembled. Going to be
significantly more difficult if the joint is still done up though!

I have a set of 15mm olive cutters to remove olives, so that I can reuse
the back nut.

Just carefully cut across the olive with a hacksaw, and stop before you
hit the pipe. A screwdriver in that slot then splits it. And if you buy
spare olives, you can re-use the entire thing.

It isn't always easy to get a hacksaw in the right place. other pipework
often gets in the way, which is why I bough a splitter

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 18:32, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
you can, so long as the joint has been disassembled. Going to be
significantly more difficult if the joint is still done up though!

I have a set of 15mm olive cutters to remove olives, so that I can reuse
the back nut.

Just carefully cut across the olive with a hacksaw, and stop before you
hit the pipe. A screwdriver in that slot then splits it. And if you buy
spare olives, you can re-use the entire thing.

It isn't always easy to get a hacksaw in the right place. other pipework
often gets in the way, which is why I bough a splitter

I bought an olive extractor/puller. They can remove olives where the nut
won't move back, such as on a radiator tail, and in some instances reuse
the olive. The cutter is much quicker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 19:25, Fredxx wrote:
On 12/06/2021 18:32, charles wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* charles wrote:
you can, so long as the joint has been disassembled. Going to be
significantly more difficult if the joint is still done up though!

I have a set of 15mm olive cutters to remove olives, so that I can
reuse
the back nut.

Just carefully cut across the olive with a hacksaw, and stop before you
hit the pipe. A screwdriver in that slot then splits it. And if you buy
spare olives, you can re-use the entire thing.

It isn't always easy to get a hacksaw in the right place. other pipework
often gets in the way, which is why I bough a splitter

I bought an olive extractor/puller. They can remove olives where the nut
won't move back, such as on a radiator tail, and in some instances reuse
the olive. The cutter is much quicker.

I find my puller works ok, but takes considerable torque to get the old
one off...

this design:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...n_Olive_puller

--
Cheers,

John.

To PTFE, or not to PTFE? Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] UK diy 5 April 9th 12 11:53 PM
PTFE covered wire - how to strip off the PTFE? N_Cook Electronics Repair 7 February 25th 11 02:59 PM
Olives [email protected] UK diy 0 September 24th 07 10:21 PM
Olives - compression fittings. Derek ^ UK diy 2 December 10th 05 03:16 PM
Olives for compression fittings Lobster UK diy 28 November 20th 05 12:16 AM