Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default To PTFE, or not to PTFE?

Hello all,

I've just inserted a solenoid valve in a run of Hep 15mm pipe to the
water inlet of the toilet header tank - this is part of my home-made
control system for the feed from the rainwater harvester tank (under the
patio) to provide the toilet flush water.

Solenoid valve: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/342-017/

My question is this: given that the valve has 1/2in BSP threads in
plastic, and that the easiest way of fixing the valve appeared to be get
this metal BSP-to-15mm-compression adaptor:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/342-039/

should I, by default, always use PTFE tape between the metal female BSP
thread and the male plastic BSP thread of the solenoid valve?

Or are such things designed to seal properly without such assistance?
Yes, there's a rubber washer inside the adaptor.

I'm just suspicious of these horrible plastic body threads, like those
on dishwashers and washing machines, which I always seem to have
problems with!

The compression fittings I think are fine. Yes, before anyone asks, I
did use the pipe inserts to do it properly when compression-fitting to a
Hep2O pipe. Although I won't guarantee not having overtightened - I'll
tell you tomorrow if the hallway is flooded...

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael
Kilpatrick writes
Hello all,

I've just inserted a solenoid valve in a run of Hep 15mm pipe to the
water inlet of the toilet header tank - this is part of my home-made
control system for the feed from the rainwater harvester tank (under the
patio) to provide the toilet flush water.

Solenoid valve: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/342-017/

My question is this: given that the valve has 1/2in BSP threads in
plastic, and that the easiest way of fixing the valve appeared to be get
this metal BSP-to-15mm-compression adaptor:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/342-039/

should I, by default, always use PTFE tape between the metal female BSP
thread and the male plastic BSP thread of the solenoid valve?

Excellent, the new RS site let's you link directly to a part!

Or are such things designed to seal properly without such assistance?
Yes, there's a rubber washer inside the adaptor.

Looks like both are intended to seal to the flange with the rubber
washer so I wouldn't use tape. Without instructions to the contrary in
the product data I would lightly smear both sides of the washer with
silicone grease (not sealant) before assembly.

Not a bad price for bits either, RS used to be a lot more expensive for
this sort of stuff.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Kilpatrick wrote in
:

As there is a washer supplied with the FI adaptor then that would
be sufficient for the job.
If you don't trust the washer alone then you could put a few wraps
of tape on the male thread but don'nt over do it.About eight turns
would be enough. You should rough up the thread first with a file
or hacksaw blade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2012 21:31, Heliotrope Smith wrote:
Michael wrote in
:

As there is a washer supplied with the FI adaptor then that would
be sufficient for the job.
If you don't trust the washer alone then you could put a few wraps
of tape on the male thread but don'nt over do it.About eight turns
would be enough. You should rough up the thread first with a file
or hacksaw blade.

Thanks to both replies. Well, it's assembled with no assistance and no
roughing up. However, it's a doddle to undo (and easy to drain with the
pump powered down) so I could easily apply some silicone to the washer,
some PTFE, and a bit of roughing up.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael
Kilpatrick writes
On 09/04/2012 21:31, Heliotrope Smith wrote:
Michael wrote in
:

As there is a washer supplied with the FI adaptor then that would
be sufficient for the job.
If you don't trust the washer alone then you could put a few wraps
of tape on the male thread but don'nt over do it.About eight turns
would be enough. You should rough up the thread first with a file
or hacksaw blade.

Thanks to both replies. Well, it's assembled with no assistance and no
roughing up. However, it's a doddle to undo (and easy to drain with the
pump powered down) so I could easily apply some silicone to the washer,
some PTFE, and a bit of roughing up.

Glad you're sorted.

Whatever you do I would not rough up anything.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09 Apr 2012, you wrote in uk.d-i-y:
view.co.uk:

As there is a washer supplied with the FI adaptor then that would
be sufficient for the job.
If you don't trust the washer alone then you could put a few wraps
of tape on the male thread but don'nt over do it.About eight turns
would be enough. You should rough up the thread first with a file
or hacksaw blade.

Whatever you do I would not rough up anything.

Smooth, clean and lightly lubricated is the best principal. If the face
is intended to be the seal then don't put anything on the thread.
Usually only tapered thereads perform a sealing role. Washing machine
and compression fittings do not use the tread for sealing purposes - the
thread serves to pull things together.

PTFE covered wire - how to strip off the PTFE? N_Cook Electronics Repair 7 February 25th 11 01:59 PM
Where to buy 22SWG PTFE in UK? [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 April 27th 09 11:18 AM
Liquid PTFE Roger Mills UK diy 4 October 1st 07 09:59 PM
PTFE Gas Tape The Medway Handyman UK diy 29 December 8th 06 09:24 PM
ptfe tape for gas t60 UK diy 5 May 13th 05 04:58 PM