Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PTFE Gas Tape

Due to a slight 'administrative error' I now have 3 rolls of PTFE gas tape.

Is this just the same as normal PTFE tape but thicker? OK for general
plumbing use?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Due to a slight 'administrative error' I now have 3 rolls of PTFE gas tape.

Is this just the same as normal PTFE tape but thicker? OK for general
plumbing use?

Yes and yes.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Due to a slight 'administrative error' I now have 3 rolls of PTFE gas tape.

Is this just the same as normal PTFE tape but thicker? OK for general
plumbing use?

Its ok to use, but not as easy to work with I find.

(might be good though when you want to set a parallel thread fitting at
a particular stopping point (e.g. like an outside tap on a wall fitting)
which can take yards of the normal stuff!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message k...
Due to a slight 'administrative error' I now have 3 rolls of PTFE

gas tape.

Is this just the same as normal PTFE tape but thicker? OK for

general
plumbing use?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I use it all the time in preference to the thinner stuff for gas,
compressed air and oils. Much easier, you only usually need one or two
turns to make a sound joint.

But recently I've taken to Loctite 542 thread sealant which is
absolutely brilliant stuff - you can assemble threaded fittings finger
tight pointing where you want them, and within minutes you get a sound
seal and good mechanical fixing that can be undone later.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

[...]

What is it like in parallel to parallel threads?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

[...]

Very good - they say only use it on parallel threads up to 1/2" BSP
but I confess to using it up to 1" sucessfully on a 15Kw water chiller
recently.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-27 23:50:29 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Due to a slight 'administrative error' I now have 3 rolls of PTFE gas tape.

Is this just the same as normal PTFE tape but thicker? OK for general
plumbing use?

Definitely, and especially where tolerances of threads etc. seem to
result insome cases in poor results for ordinary tape, such as radiator
tails and HW cylinder fittings

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Mawson
wrote:
But recently I've taken to Loctite 542 thread sealant which is
absolutely brilliant stuff - you can assemble threaded fittings finger
tight pointing where you want them, and within minutes you get a sound
seal and good mechanical fixing that can be undone later.

And it's tight to hydrogen!
(This is a very non-trivial point if you're plumbing laboratory
machines.)

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Badger.badger wrote:
And it's tight to hydrogen!
(This is a very non-trivial point if you're plumbing laboratory
machines.)

Even 200 Bar H2!

I think our stock bottles only come out at about 1800psi (about 120
bar?), but I don't see any reason for concern at higher pressures. Since
the bottles weigh about 80kg each, but have to be shipped in a 800kg bottle
rack, we tend to send out several bottles at once. 3 bottle in a rack
provides redundancy better than one bottle of 3 times the volume or
pressure), and redundancy is important against some idiot checking bottle
pressure by opening the bottle valve without a regulator/ meter in the
fitting (it has happened, repeatedly), or a novice being unable to undo the
regulator fitting with a 10" spanner, so he gets a bigger spanner, then a
bigger one, then a cheater bar, then shears the regulator fitting out of
the bottle valve (poor boy didn't know about left hand threads).

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:

the bottle valve (poor boy didn't know about left hand threads).

That's a good point, why do gas cylinders / fittings etc use left handed
threads?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 23:45:34 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

|Aidan Karley wrote:
|
| the bottle valve (poor boy didn't know about left hand threads).
|
|That's a good point, why do gas cylinders / fittings etc use left handed
|threads?

They *don't*, only *English* ones have left hand threads for Flammable
gasses, which indicates the contents. Camping gas which originates in
France has a right hand thread. I **HATE** the left hand threads on my
Propane bottles, and after all these years I have to work it out every time
I touch one :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|Aidan Karley wrote:
|
| the bottle valve (poor boy didn't know about left hand threads).
|
|That's a good point, why do gas cylinders / fittings etc use left

handed
|threads?

They *don't*, only *English* ones have left hand threads for

Flammable
gasses, which indicates the contents. Camping gas which originates

in
France has a right hand thread. I **HATE** the left hand threads

on my
Propane bottles, and after all these years I have to work it out

every time
I touch one :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Google Groups is IME the

*worst*

It's a perfectly sensible safety precaution to avoid connecting a fuel
gas to an oxygen or other non fuel gas regulator, which could have
literally explosive results. It is particulary vital with acetylene
which will detonate if too high a pressure is set when the gas is a
vapour rather than disolved in the kapok & acetone of it's cylinder.

The left hand threaded components are clearly marked with a groove
turned into the hex spanner flats.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

I **HATE** the left hand threads on my
Propane bottles, and after all these years I have to work it out every time
I touch one :-(

I've put an arrow in marker pen on the regulator. Mostly for the benefit
of my son, to be honest, but it's handy.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

That's a good point, why do gas cylinders / fittings etc use left handed
threads?

They don't, only fuel gas cylinders are LH.

Supposedly it's to stop you mixing fools and oxidisers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

That's a good point, why do gas cylinders / fittings etc use left handed
threads?

They don't, only fuel gas cylinders are LH.

Sorry, being sloppy in terminology! Yes I was thinking of propane bottles.

Supposedly it's to stop you mixing fools and oxidisers.

Spose it makes some sense... then again fools are so ingenious! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Spose it makes some sense... then again fools are so ingenious! ;-)

You must be an Einstein then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
[...]

Only 3? We had 12 cyl MCP's until the fire....NOT H2 related BTW.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-04 16:45:16 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Spose it makes some sense... then again fools are so ingenious! ;-)

You must be an Einstein then.

I imagine that everyone must seem like Einstein to you.... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-04 16:45:16 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Spose it makes some sense... then again fools are so ingenious! ;-)

You must be an Einstein then.

I imagine that everyone must seem like Einstein to you.... :-)

Matt, you don't imagine things you just make things up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm
wrote:
the bottle valve (poor boy didn't know about left hand threads).

That's a good point, why do gas cylinders / fittings etc use left handed
threads?

So you can't connect a bottle of fuel gas to a regulator on a high
pressure oxidant line.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
They *don't*, only *English* ones have left hand threads for Flammable
gasses, which indicates the contents.

The same convention ("left-hand for hydrogen") is used by at
least two Russian mudlogging companies operating in two parts of Siberia
separated by the guts of 700km, and by a Romanian mudlogging company
off-shore Tanzania.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Badger.badger wrote:
rack, we tend to send out several bottles at once. 3 bottle in a rack
provides redundancy better than one bottle of 3 times the volume or
pressure), and redundancy is important [SNIP]

Only 3? We had 12 cyl MCP's until the fire....NOT H2 related BTW.

Multi-Cylinder Packs? Or "gas racks" as they'd popularly be called.
A single cylinder would last a 6 weeks to 2 months of operations, with a
50% cycle of operational / downmanned. Keeping a bigger stock would mean that
the bottles could easily go out of test, or the gas rack. Or the certificate of
conformity on the gas (analytical grade, remember) would expire. And don't
forget the several months the bottles would spend sitting in the gas cage
onshore too.
Actually, the figures I gave were for the system at Major Company, who I
left a good while ago for Small Company. Small Company have a gas system that
only uses H2 for fuel, not for carrier. Consequently the H2 gas requirements
were smaller, and the issues of keeping redundancy at the system level without
having thousands of pounds worth of gas racks and bottles on rental were
paradoxically worse.
Did you use enough gas that it was worthwhile owning your own bottles and
racks? Not us - Linde would send us a nice little (ha, ha!) rental bill every
month, which Muggins had to check to make sure that we didn't go into "rust
penalty" on a bottle.
Yes, we did try to use hydrogen generators. Have you seen the cost of the
ion-exchange filter packs? Bottle gas is cheaper and easier.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan Karley" lid wrote
in message r.invalid...
In article , Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
They *don't*, only *English* ones have left hand threads for Flammable
gasses, which indicates the contents.

The same convention ("left-hand for hydrogen") is used by at
least two Russian mudlogging companies operating in two parts of Siberia
separated by the guts of 700km,

What is "the guts of 700km"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Aidan Karley" lid
wrote in message
r.invalid...
In article , Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
They *don't*, only *English* ones have left hand threads for Flammable
gasses, which indicates the contents.

The same convention ("left-hand for hydrogen") is used by at
least two Russian mudlogging companies operating in two parts of Siberia
separated by the guts of 700km,

What is "the guts of 700km"?

Something between 600Km ~ 699.999 Km ?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Badger.badger wrote:
rack, we tend to send out several bottles at once. 3 bottle in a rack
provides redundancy better than one bottle of 3 times the volume or
pressure), and redundancy is important [SNIP]

Only 3? We had 12 cyl MCP's until the fire....NOT H2 related BTW.

Multi-Cylinder Packs?

Multi cylinder packs, used as fuel in o2/h2 burners to work silica.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net, Doctor Drivel wrote:
separated by the guts of 700km,

What is "the guts of 700km"?

Without getting out an atlas, approximately 700km. But depending on the projection used, it could be as
much as 1000km, or as little as 500km. It does take 12 hours on a train (low priority, passenger), plus 4 hours
drive between the two sites, but since GPS is a prison-introducing technology, I'm not exactly sure if the road
route and the rail route are sub-parallel, orthogonal, or even anti-parallel.
SIGH /self: Gets out atlas and job tickets.
Location: Muravlenkova Pad-2B, 64°01'15.8”N, 74°49'49.1”E ; Midnight Sun, no; 23:15 sunset, yes. Mosquitos ++

[SNIP]
Location: 60°01'24.561"N, 70°59'23.103"E (Upper Salym)

The great circle formula from the "aviation formulary" (a long-gone site, but it's been accurate enough
for my uses for years) tells me those two locations would be 488km apart, if the earth were a close
approximation to a sphere. Which it is.
That's a shortest-line-between distance. Given that there are several major river valleys to follow and
cross in that distance, and a couple of watersheds to go over, something not far short of 700km sounds like a
good guesstimate of the distance between the two locations.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Badger.badger
wrote:
Multi cylinder packs, used as fuel in o2/h2 burners to work silica.

H2 would be two nines or so pure ; chromatographic grade
hydrogen (should be / is) five nines. 99.999% Every bottle needs it's
certificate of conformity, and they aren't issued for more than a few
months after production and testing.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:

drive between the two sites, but since GPS is a prison-introducing technology, I'm not exactly sure if the road

Out of curiosity, what is the state objection to GPS then?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Badger.badger
wrote:
Multi cylinder packs, used as fuel in o2/h2 burners to work silica.

H2 would be two nines or so pure ; chromatographic grade
hydrogen (should be / is) five nines. 99.999% Every bottle needs it's
certificate of conformity, and they aren't issued for more than a few
months after production and testing.

Only N5.0? We used certified N6.0 or better gases for processes!, The
burning grade h2 IIRC was N4.5 last time we had some...

Teflon tape on gas pipe?? Steven L Umbach Home Repair 49 December 11th 16 11:44 PM
metal roof and leaks? using tape to fix? Eternabond brand tape davidlaska Home Repair 6 September 11th 06 02:09 AM
ptfe tape for gas t60 UK diy 5 May 13th 05 04:58 PM
ptfe tape for gas t60 UK diy 1 May 11th 05 09:31 PM
PTFE or Boss White? Mogweed UK diy 0 March 13th 05 05:24 PM