Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan Karley Aidan Karley is offline

Default PTFE Gas Tape

In article , Badger.badger wrote:
And it's tight to hydrogen!
(This is a very non-trivial point if you're plumbing laboratory
machines.)

Even 200 Bar H2!

I think our stock bottles only come out at about 1800psi (about 120
bar?), but I don't see any reason for concern at higher pressures. Since
the bottles weigh about 80kg each, but have to be shipped in a 800kg bottle
rack, we tend to send out several bottles at once. 3 bottle in a rack
provides redundancy better than one bottle of 3 times the volume or
pressure), and redundancy is important against some idiot checking bottle
pressure by opening the bottle valve without a regulator/ meter in the
fitting (it has happened, repeatedly), or a novice being unable to undo the
regulator fitting with a 10" spanner, so he gets a bigger spanner, then a
bigger one, then a cheater bar, then shears the regulator fitting out of
the bottle valve (poor boy didn't know about left hand threads).

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland