Posted to alt.home.repair

Default metal roof and leaks? using tape to fix? Eternabond brand tape

I have a metal roof made with used metal sheet (2x9 feet) and there are
holes from previous fasteners. I tried silicon, tarbased stuff, butyle
but examining then weeks later I felt that it will not do the job when
the rains come. I bought a role of 4 inch by 50 eternabond tape and
cut pieces for the holes. It seems to stick very well and has a UV
backing. It is marketed for this purpose. Has anyone had experience
use this product of mental? ( Like all products, the surface must be
clean, free of and so on)

Posted to alt.home.repair

davidlaska wrote:
I have a metal roof made with used metal sheet (2x9 feet) and there are
holes from previous fasteners. I tried silicon, tarbased stuff, butyle
but examining then weeks later I felt that it will not do the job when
the rains come. I bought a role of 4 inch by 50 eternabond tape and
cut pieces for the holes. It seems to stick very well and has a UV
backing. It is marketed for this purpose. Has anyone had experience
use this product of mental? ( Like all products, the surface must be
clean, free of and so on)

Daughter just bought house with edge repaired with tape.
I don't know brand name... its appeara'nce is sort of shiny aluminum.
Home inspector said it was o.k.
We've had a couple of hard rains without apparent leaks.
Underside of decking is visible and no dampness or stains are visible.

I'm uncomfortable depending on an adhesive exposed to water, but time
will tell.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"davidlaska" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a metal roof made with used metal sheet (2x9 feet) and there are
holes from previous fasteners. I tried silicon, tarbased stuff, butyle
but examining then weeks later I felt that it will not do the job when
the rains come. I bought a role of 4 inch by 50 eternabond tape and
cut pieces for the holes. It seems to stick very well and has a UV
backing. It is marketed for this purpose. Has anyone had experience
use this product of mental? ( Like all products, the surface must be
clean, free of and so on)

Yours may not be, but metal roofing is normally applied over a waterproof
underlayment of some sort with some means of ventilation under the metal. If
so, any small amount of water under the metal will simply evaporate. Metal
roofing can get a lot of water underneath just from condensation.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Young wrote:
[...]

metal sheet laid over 1 x 6 planks space 6 inches apart, very old house
for california (ww 2). original roof was singles only, nothing else,
just nailed to 1 x 6 which were removed for metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"davidlaska" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don Young wrote:
[...]

Old houses, sheds, and barns were normally built without any solid decking
under the metal roofing sheets or wooden shingles. Some rain water and
condensation would drip at times but the ventilation was enough for it to
dry out without causing any problems. You can try the tape to seal the
holes. Another possibility would be to use sheet metal screws with rubber
gaskets or some kind of sealer. The main hazard to any kind of sealing
material is the sun. Expect some drips from condensation and wind driven
rain at times.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Young wrote:
[...]

Sun pretty much can be harsh on everything. The tape come with a
separate but attacked laye r of UV resistant material (It has the look
and feel of the plastic protector under the cover of scanners and
copying machines. They come in three colors, white grey and black. I
figured the white would reflect more harmful rays than black and stay a
lot cooler.